Class "Friend" Ideas?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Kteacher07, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Kteacher07

Kteacher07 Rookie

Jul 6, 2009

Hello all! For the last two years I have taught K we have had Curious George as our class friend. Throughout the year every child gets a chance to take a little stuffed animal version of the class friend home with him/her, spend the weekend with him, parents often take pictures of the child with the stuffed animal, and journal it. On Mondays the child who had our friend shares what they did, we read the journal, etc. We also theme our letter we send in the summer as well as the book we read on the first day to this character.
    Well, for the upcoming school year I will be teaching inclusion with another K teacher so we want to come up with a new class friend. She previously had Clifford and my colleagues use Arthur and the Pigeon. We are trying to come up with a new character we can use. The only idea we had as Franklin the Turtle but I am having a very difficult time finding a plush for the children to take home.
    Any suggestions for a new class friend? Thanks!

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2009

I have used a bear in the past and found some really neat pages to print out with bears on them. I put a ton of papers in a binder with page protectors and the kids would fill out a page or two and put it in the binder when they brought the book back to school. It worked out really well.

It was just a plain old stuffed teddy bear that one of our teachers had left over after her kids had grown. We tied it into the book Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you See? and the whole premise was that the bear would go home and tell us what it saw at that child's house for the weekend.

I haven't done it in a few years, but it was fun!

4. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 6, 2009

I use the stuffed animals you can get at Kohl's for $5 - they also sell the books to go along with it. We have several "buddies" that the superstars can take home and journal about what they do together.

6. skerns

skerns Companion

Jul 6, 2009

The Hungry Caterpillar is at Barnes and Noble or Corduroy can be purchased online. I send home literacy backpacks that have a character and book in them each Friday. We also have used Sesame Street characters and Froggy.

7. Kteacher07

Kteacher07 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009

Thanks everyone! I will look into those ideas! :)

8. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

Jul 14, 2009

IKEA sells MACHINE WASHABLE and dryable stuffed animals that are super cute. I have one that is a camel with polka dots. And they are soooo cheap.