Class Data Board

Discussion in 'General Education' started by horned_Frog89, Jul 8, 2018.

1. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Jul 8, 2018

I am wanting to post test data for each of my 6 classes this year for our District Assessments that we take for each semester. I wanted to post the percent mastery by class and also mastery by TEKS by class. However, these District assessments are often quite challenging. The district has 70% as the passing rate, but it isn't uncommon for the district average to be in the 30's or 40's. Since I teach all general ed, 30's and 40's are about what my classes will average, sometimes lower. I don't want to post those scores for obvious reasons. Is there any other way I can post this data without breaking the hearts of my kiddos? For the record, the passing score for the State exam for my grade level was 37%, so 30's and 40's aren't exactly shocking.

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 8, 2018

Is it required that you post this? Why do you want to do it if you are also worried about it breaking your students' hearts? If your purpose is motivation and goal-setting, is there a more private way you can do this as opposed to posting it for all to see?

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jul 8, 2018

Unless you have to post these, why do it?

We goal set with students, so they know all of that information, just not displayed publicly.

However, our students also know the proficiency level, so they know how they compare to that is not the same as, say, the regular grading scale.

5. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Jul 8, 2018

I'm looking to motivate our students this year. Last year, our group of students were unmotivated and settled throughout the entire year. We are hoping that if we set class goals, they will aim to meet those scores on exams.

After I realized this issue of the scores, I had zero intentions of posting the DA data, but was curious if anyone had a similar issue or knows of something I can post to let them know (as a class) how they did on the exam and to see how other classes did. I believe that if students get feedback about exams and can get a slight competitiveness to them, they will take more ownership into the exams, and work harder.

Also: It may have been unclear, but I was not going to post student specific data, but rather class averages. Just realized it sounded like I meant specific students.

6. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Jul 8, 2018

Instead of posting percentages could you post amount of growth and set a growth goal rather than a pass rate goal since the averages are historically so low. Celebrate increase of score rather than the specific number.

bella84 likes this.
  7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 8, 2018

Yeah, I hate this idea and would never do it.

bella84 likes this.
  8. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jul 9, 2018

The kids know who the students are who are pulling the averages down. Even a list that doesn't name students, still indicates who they are. The question is, why are some students unmotivated?

I wonder if the goal of education, the major goal, should be to learn. Standardized tests, like them or not, are a reality, so yes, they are a minor goal. Being able to find a job is another reason for education, but I still see even that as a minor goal, in comparison to the overall goal of learning. I notice how many adults, once they have a job, forgo most further learning, instead filling their minds with video games, senseless TV shows.... Yet the brain is not for setting on a shelf so that it may collect dust. And the brain is not just to compete on Jeopardy.

And so, as I walk our dog outside for his morning business, I notice the backyard animals. I see the bunnies are sitting in the grass, pencils in hand, as the older rabbit once again quizzes them to fill in the dots. No, obviously that is not the case. They are busy eating what they find in the yard, but at the same time, exploring. What is that funny looking man and his dog doing now? What's that growing behind his fence? (And I hope they don't decide to taste my tomato plants). Just how close can we come to the neighborhood cats. Just as animals are continually learning in order to learn, people should continually be learning.

Learning is overall profitable in all areas of life. No one knows what s/he'll be doing in the future. No one can pinpoint which bits and bytes of information will integrate with new information in the future. The more one knows, and the more that learning is connected with previous learning, the more enriched that person's life becomes. Life can be like the nightmare where one stumbles along from experience to experience, or life can be meaningful and purposeful. Life can be mundanely routine, or life can be taking charge of one's situations. Life can be inward, stuck within oneself, or life can be concern and assistance to others, graciously giving of one's knowledge and talents to enrich others.

Case in point. The soccer team stuck in a cave in Thailand. It has taken expertise to rescue them, not couch potatoes.

Learning is life, and life is learning. Motivation for learning should be to learn, not to click on the correct answer in a standardized test.

Backroads and bella84 like this.
  9. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2018

Motivation comes from much more than just seeing test scores.

bella84 likes this.
  10. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jul 12, 2018

I am sorry, but I come from a school that posted these boards and at first I thought to myself that this was horrible. How does it look to students? However, if we celebrate it and say... you went from this to this vs. you failed all of the time it gets better. I might try something in my classroom as I have since moved schools.

11. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2018

This is the key thing that students need to be able to recognize - their growth (and always be aiming for it, regardless of where they're at).

Posting it publicly doesn't aide in this. I'm working to find ways in which I can have students better track their own progress (rather than just me), but in a completely private way, such that it isn't about competition, bragging, embarrassment, etc...

OUOhYeah and bella84 like this.