Class Books

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by kinderkate, Jun 22, 2008.

1. kinderkate

kinderkate Rookie

Jun 22, 2008

Does anyone have an example of a class-made book? Thanks!

3. little317

little317 Groupie

Jun 22, 2008

During our apple unit we made a book "We Like Apples". Each student completed a page with: I like ____ apples. Then drew a picture of the knd of apple they likes. I added it to the library and it was always a hit. We also did an all about animals book with the studentreasure book kits. They turned out awesome! I didn't do very many books last year, but would like to do more.

4. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 22, 2008

I have a whole page on my website dedicated to class made books, you can see pictures there.

5. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jun 23, 2008

We made a few class books:

20 Black Dots (like Ten Black Dots by Donald Crews)
    Mouse Count Book (how to make combinations of ten)
    Teacher, May I?
    What We Love About Kindergarten.

6. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 30, 2008

We read "Fortunately", by Remy Charlip, then as a group we write our own story in the same format. I start with the first sentence:
    A dog walked into the front yard. Then a child says "unfortunately the dog.... (fell into a lake.) The next child says fortunately the dog could swim. The next says unfortunately the dog... we continue until everyone dictates a page and each child illustrates his own page.

Once every page is illustrated we read it as a group and place the book in the reading center. The children love it.

It is important to create a good starting sentence to get the story going.

7. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Jun 30, 2008

We made several books. I think the best one was modeled on "I Brought My Frog to the Library." Ours was "I Brought My Lion To School!"

The kids chose what pet animal would come to school. Then we discussed what might happen if a lion entered the classroom, how the Lion would feel, what would happen next, etc.

The text went something like this:

I brought my lion to school.

When he came in, the other children screamed and ran away.

The lion started to cry.

The children felt bad and came back to pet him.

He liked it, and he purred very loud.

The children ran away again.

You get the idea, the children come back again and do something that makes him roar, they run away again, etc. At the end they all go out to play hide and seek.

I print the text on pages, and the children each get to illustrate a page. I had ten kids so I would kind of manipulate the text to get ten pages. We staple it together, and voila. They read it again and again!

8. liz2034

liz2034 Rookie

Jun 30, 2008

At the beginning of the year, we read "Brown Bear, Brown Bear What do you see? and then we made the book
    "Kindergartener, Kendergartener what do you see? and then they drew a picture of something that they have seen in the school. Actually before we read the book, we take a tour of the school that way they have lots of choices.

9. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Jun 30, 2008

Class books are so much fun and the kids love rereading them!

One of the favorites that we did was a book connected to the Past and Present unit (but you could do it for a "All About Me" unit, too). A letter was sent home asking parents to send in a photo of their child when they were very young (a year old or less). We glued those photos to a page, then printed the child's name under it. Then we glued a small flap over the printed name. When the kids "read" the book they looked at the baby picture and tried to guess who it was. Then they could lift the flap to read the name. They LOVED it! It was really cute seeing all their baby pictures, too.

We also went to a firehouse and the kids got to sit in one of the fire truck, one at a time. We took their photo while they were in the fire truck then created a page with each photo and the captions read, "____ is in the truck."

If you're doing something with the kids photos, an easy way to make the book is to upload them on your computer and make a PowerPoint presentation (one slide is one page) and then print out the slides. You can make text captions and everything and it's easier and faster than writing everything by hand or pasting pictures onto pages.

10. Mr Flamingo

Mr Flamingo Rookie

Jun 30, 2008

I have made several books with my classes. Sometimes it has been an entire class project, other times small group. I have had them self published. You can check them out by following this link: stores.lulu.com/flamingopress . You'll have to copy and paste the link too see them. There are hardback and "soft" back.

11. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Jul 22, 2008

http://www.amazon.com/Carson-Dellos...e=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1216783851&sr=8-2

I got an idea from this book to write down on chart paper a sentence. I wrote down "I like to _________." I filled in the blank with the word dance and drew a picture under it of dancing steps. I also added my name. I then wrote a series of "I like to________." I did a couple maybe like 5 a day. I then went around the rug and asked different children what they liked to do. I then filled in the blank with the word and underneath I drew a picture of what they liked to do and wrote their names next to it.

When all 20 children and myself got a chance to fill in the blank and we had a sentence of our own I then read each one with the class. I then cut my sentence and pasted it onto large Kinder-writing paper the kind with 4 lines underneath some picture drawing space. I then modeled myself copying this sentence down on one of the lines and drew in the blank space a large picture of what I liked to do. I also modeled myself labeling my picture.

I then, cut the chart paper and gave everyone their sentence as well as writing paper. I went around to paste their sentences and had them copy them down. I reminded them to make sure they followed the conventional grammatical rules (capitalization, spaces in between words, and a period at the end). Each child then drew their picture.

I then, got each page when they completed it and did a beautiful job and pasted it onto a large piece of construction paper to add to the durability. I then made a front cover and a back cover for our book. I had each page laminated. I then punched holes and added 3-metal rings so as to make a large book. I then read it together with the class and placed it in the library.

Since it's such a long process, but worth it! I only got to 4 class books last year. The book above gives you a step by step of the whole process as well as sentence/theme ideas that you can use with what you're currently teaching.

Our books came out pretty large about 17-inches by 22-inches.

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 23, 2008

13. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 23, 2008

Brown Bear, Brown Bear,
    Astronaut, Astronaut (stars, moon, sun, earth, satellite, etc)
    It Looked Like Spilt Milk
    From This To That Book- After learning shapes, finding shapes inside & outdoors, seeing that staight & curved lines put together make things..... I first model a few to get them started then each child is given a peice of paper with one marking on it such as a short straight line across the middle of the paper, another with straight line down, slant line in a corner, circle on the left, arc at the top, etc., vary where on the paper and how many different markings you need for your class (you could also actually use shapes & have them incorporate it into a picture). Draw a 4" line across the paper. Ask what could be made using that line(finish the picture).....a truck, train, house, road, wagon, etc., then model it. Do the same with a small circle- could be a wheel to ____, the center of a flower..... I've had each child do one picture & put together as a class book, I've also had them each make their own (with me pre-drawing the markings).

14. Mommyof2xys

Mommyof2xys Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

We used the book, It Looked Like Spilt Milk. We used the statement, It looked like spilt milk, but it was a ___________. (I think)
    Each student got a glob of white paint in the middle of dark blue paper and used their fingers to create something. This was everyone's favortie class book.

Also, I have done class books by allowing students to use a Sharpie Marker to draw with and they paint the picture with watercolors. I did a When I grow up I want to be...book using this idea.

15. kinderkate

kinderkate Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

Thank you for everyone's great ideas!!