Cinder Block Walls?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by beckyeduk8er, Aug 20, 2004.

1. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Aug 20, 2004

Hi,

I have just moved to a new center and my new classroom is all cinderblock/brick type walls. How can I hang anything up? The teacher last year used masking tape, but she said everything fell down once a week. This would make me crazy. :eek: I would love any creative ideas. :crosseyed :)

Thank you
    Becky

3. Teri104

Teri104 Rookie

Aug 20, 2004

I also have cinder block for walls. I have found that Mounting Tape works great. It will peel off and leave the paint. Have a wonderful year!!! :angel:

4. Teener

Teener Companion

Aug 20, 2004

I have the same problem! I have everything stuck up with masking tape and every morning this week I have gone in to find at least one poster on the floor. I have started using the white plastic "clips" that have the wax on the back (the name slips my mind right now, I will look at the package at school and post back with it tonight). As long as I use one in each corner (4 for each poster at least) the posters will stay up.

I tried the mounting tape, but it will not come off of the posters when you take them down. We have to take everything off our walls at the end of the year and store them in a cabinet/drawer. When I came back this year, a lot of my posters wouldn't "unstick" from one another due to the mounting tape lwft on the back.
    If anyone has any other ideas please post them. All help is greatly appreciated.

5. AnnK

AnnK Rookie

Aug 20, 2004

I end up using a combination of masking tape and "EZ up Clips" (the white clips with the wax on the back. This seems to work really well. The main support comes from the clips and the tape stops the posters from sliding around or falling if a clip does fall down or disappear (sometimes that happens in the hallway).

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 20, 2004

I used a combination of the foam tabs, 3m makes them I think, masking tape, blue tacky, and prayers. When I get really desperate, I use string & anchor it to the drop ceiling!

7. Margo

Margo Devotee

Aug 20, 2004

The only thing we are allowed to use on our cinderblock walls (and doors, and windows, and cabinets, etc, etc, etc) is sticky tac. It is like gold in our school.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 20, 2004

Does the sticky tac work? I know that I've tried it & some holds better then other. For me the blue works the best.

9. Margo

Margo Devotee

Aug 20, 2004

I find that to be true also. Only the blue kind seems to work. I have tried the white and yellow but they just don't seem to hold to well.

10. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 20, 2004

what about duct tape!! comes in lots of great colors!!

11. october

october Rookie

Aug 20, 2004

I use 3M hooks. I punch a hole in whatever I am hanging. It is easy to change things out. ALso, we have to take EVERYTHING down for "The Test", so I can just slip them off the hook. It takes a little extra time to put up the first time, but in teh long run, it makes everything a snap. They are super strong. I had a picture hanging on one for 2 years (on the smallest size hook)! If you ever need to remove them, just pull the strip, and they come right off. No one would ever be able to tell they were there!

They are fantastic!

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 20, 2004

At Schoolaids they have Mahvelous tape (not sure of spelling). It is fantastic. It holds to wood, plastic, glass, brick, anything. I love it!

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 20, 2004

Ok, I knew I spelled it wrong. Here's the info from schoolaids:
    mavalus tape!
    Made with superior adhesives, mavalus tape sticks where traditional temporary adhesives fail! Great for holding posters on wals and is removable from most surfaces. Mavalus even sticks to most brick and damp cinder blocks! 3 rolls of 1"x360' mavalus.
    Grade Level:
    Item Number: MAV301
    Price: $7.99

14. Valarie

Valarie Guest

Aug 20, 2004

Never-fail Stick to Cinderblock Walls

I use a LOW-TEMP glue gun to stick everything up. I've got all my stuff laminated, so when the posters are taken down, the glue peels off the back easily. It also peels off the cinderblock walls easily when you want it to, but sticks until you decide you want to take stuff down.

Be sure you're not using the hot temp glue sticks and gun. They'l stick to the wall and your stuff forever, and if you try to get it off the wall, you're looking at paint being ripped off too. The hot temp glue gun is also much more likely to burn you, and to melt the lamination on your stuff.

Valarie
    DMS

15. SpanishSRTA

SpanishSRTA Rookie

Aug 20, 2004

Have you tried using velcro strips? You can buy small pieces of velcro that stick to your wall and then to the back of your posters. Mine have held up nicely so far!

16. DotyMath

DotyMath Rookie

Aug 20, 2004

glue gun

a teacher down the hall let me borrow her glue gun to glue stuff on the walls, she told me it was a low temp glue gun. The LAST poster I put up glue oozed out from the top, so I took my finger to push it back up. BIG MISTAKE! This was a HIGH TEMP glue gun and I really burned my finger badly. I have already hot glued up everything in my room with this glue gun, will I have trouble getting it off the walls at the end of the school year? Any teachers out there who have done this? Will I spend all next summer repainting my room?

17. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 20, 2004

I BELIEVE IN MAVALOUS TAPE!!!! That is the best stuff!! I've gone thru 5 rolls I guess since last year putting stuff up out in the halls on the cinderblocks... in the room... everywhere. It is the only thing I've found that really works. I'm a big believer in duct tape, too, but I've had posters up with duct tape fall constantly. They only way it doesn't work is when the OLDER KIDS GO DOWN THE HALL TAKING IT OFF THE BACK OF MY POSTERS ON ONE CORNER!!! ARG!!!! :) Hmm... duct tape my fix their sticky fingers... JUST KIDDING EVERYONE!!!

Lori

18. dianejw

dianejw Companion

Aug 20, 2004

The key to using sticky tac is to mix two different brands together. After doing that it should work well for you on most any surface.

19. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 21, 2004

So mix white & blue?

20. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 21, 2004

My co-teacher has a bowl with blue and yellow in it all mixed up. It works pretty well.

21. hhanson

hhanson Guest

Aug 21, 2004

2nd grade

I always put a piece of masking tape on the back of my posters and then put tacky tape or whatever on top of that. So when you take the tape off it doesn't damage the poster. Maybe this could help.