Chromebooks

Discussion in 'General Education' started by GoldenPoppy, Nov 2, 2013.

1. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Nov 2, 2013

Anyone using Chromebooks in their classroom?

I am looking at different options to upgrade our computer situation at school and Chromebooks look good. What have your experiences been?

I am particularly interested in how the Google version of Word and Powerpoint work, since most of our students and teachers are familiar with those two programs. Is it true that a document created in Word could be uploaded to the cloud, worked on with the Google word processor, then worked on again with the real version of Word? Is it the same for Powerpoint and the Google version as well?

Any information or opinions I can get would be very helpful.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  3. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 2, 2013

You are correct about the google docs programs.

Try them out.

Chromebooks would probably work rather well in a classroom environment - long battery life and quick loading time

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 2, 2013

We are switching to an entire google school. I love it! It's great for most documents. The science department seems to be struggling the most. When their old documents were uploaded, the diagrams came out wrong.

5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Nov 3, 2013

The biggest problem with Chromebooks is the need to be online all the time to do basically anything. If your school has an insane network firewall that randomly decides to shut out entire networks that could be a problem.

6. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Nov 3, 2013

We use Chromebooks in our district, and I think they've been working great. The network point that Rockguykev makes is a good one though... they do indeed need internet access at all times, but our school has a pretty good setup and we haven't had any real issues with that.

As for in the classroom, the kids use them in my class to access their books, type assignments (in Google Docs), and create presentations (in Google Slides). All of it has been really easy for the kids to pick up and understand. If they knew how to use the Microsoft versions, they were able to figure out the Google versions without issue.

Also, the management options for Chromebooks are quite robust. Our kids cannot install any apps on their own, they cannot print without permission, and we've disabled access to Flash drives (for now). Coming from the tech side of things as well as the classroom, management of the Chromebooks is easy and has lots of options.

7. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 3, 2013

8. bigdreamseeker

bigdreamseeker New Member

Nov 3, 2013

As mentioned previously, Chromebooks are for the most part dependent on an Internet connection. They are fast, however, because there is no hard drive to boot up. (Some newer versions do come with hard drives, but they are more expensive.) As far as the Microsoft applications go, you cannot use them, again, because of the lack of hard drive. The idea is to use the Google alternatives - Google Docs, Spreadsheets, and Presentations. These programs are very similar to their Microsoft counterparts -- but are missing a few of the bells and whistles. The upside is that the files are saved in the cloud, so they can be accessed anywhere -- no need to save to a flash drive or email an attachment to go from one computer to another.

9. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 3, 2013

Chromebooks actually DO have hard drives (and have had them since the beginning), they have solid state drives.