Christmas trees...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MissWull, Nov 24, 2010.

1. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Nov 24, 2010

Another question about how long a live holiday decoration will last... :)

My husband and I are buying our first Christmas tree this year, and it will be a fresh one. We live in southern California and lately it has actually felt like winter temperatures, 60s and what not.

When should I plan on buying the tree? I was thinking of getting it on December 9th, which is a Thursday and it just fits into my schedule the best. Is that too early? Or can I get it the weekend before? I just don't want the tree to die or be super dried out by Christmas day!

[​IMG]

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 24, 2010

We always get a tree later in December. This year probably the 16th since we have a party on the 18th at our house. How long do you want to keep it up? I like to try to keep it till Little Christmas - Jan 6.

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 24, 2010

I love real trees, but it just wasn't a good idea in my apartment - what a pain! So I bought an artificial tree. I think it looks great, especially once all my ornaments are on it.

This year since we have the house, I have thought a lot about getting a real one but I think I am going to stick with the artificial. It is so much work to put it up and take it down that I like it to be up for awhile - usually right after Thanksgiving through epiphany. I saw trees at a roadside stand while I was out today - already cut and waiting - that can't be good. I can't imagine them not being dried out by Christmas.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2010

It hurts my heart to think about killing a tree. :( That's why we use artificial trees. These days there are many artificial trees that look really good. That's what I recommend, even though you didn't ask for it. :p

6. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Nov 24, 2010

Hmmm, I never thought about how long I want to keep it up after Christmas. I guess if it lasted until New Years that would be fine. So if we got it, say on the 11th, that would be 3 weeks until New Years. If we needed to get rid of it the day or so after Christmas, that would be fine.

So is 3 weeks too long to expect it to look decent? How often do you water them?

7. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Nov 24, 2010

Hehe. Well thank you for your opinion, I respect it!

Don't they specifically grow Christmas trees to be cut down and just replant them for the next year? Christmas tree farms? So it's not like I'm buying a tree and helping to deforest an area of the world, right? Now I feel bad! :mellow:

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2010

Yes, they do specifically grow them for Christmas, but it's still sad to me. :(

9. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 24, 2010

Cut the bottom so it is fresh - like stems of flowers. Check the water every day. They can really soak up a lot of water. We are also in So. Cal and get it in mid Dec. and leave up until New Year's but we cut it down fresh.

10. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Nov 24, 2010

Caesar: Ok, whew. That does make me feel a bit better...hope that doesn't sound harsh!

scmom: Where do you get your tree from?

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 24, 2010

We water whenever the tree stand is empty pretty much everyday in the beginning it needs a lot of water

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 24, 2010

I think I read something about how the younger trees clean the air and produce more oxygen or something. I think it said it is actually better to cut them frequently and replant. Maybe I am making that up... lol.

Also, at some point in time an artificial tree will end up in a landfill. I seriously doubt you can recycle it and it won't last forever. A real tree can always be recycled or will decompose.

You can also get the trees with the bulbs and plant it yourself after Christmas.

13. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Nov 24, 2010

I like your thinking Silverspoon! ;)

14. gigi

gigi Groupie

Nov 24, 2010

After all these years of going to the tree place and cutting our own, last year we decided to get an artificial one.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2010

We've never had anything but a real tree--there's no other choice for us. We usually put our tree up about a week and a half before Christmas and leave it up until after New Year's. As others have said, they need a lot of water at first--check it at least twice and day and keep that container full! This year we'll have to take the tree down on the morning of the 26th--we're leaving for Florida that day and when we get back after New Years I don't want to deal with a tree that hasn't had water in over a week!

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Fanatic

Nov 24, 2010

We do artificial, because ours goes up the day after Thanksgiving, and comes down no earlier than Jan. 6. Sometimes it gets switched out into a Mardi Gras tree, with beads all on it.

17. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Nov 24, 2010

Regarding Real vs. Artificial... there is a family tree farm we go to where you cut your own tree, but leave the bottom branches so it can regrow. It is called coppicing, or stump culturing, and the trees never die of old age.

The farm is a jewel. They welcome dogs, give free boughs to take home for decoration (or you can buy a metal ring and make a wreath), free marshmallows around the fire, and immense swings to play on - all overlooking the ocean.

If you want a real tree but don't feel comfortable killing one, maybe there's a place where you coppice the tree near you?

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2010

It's been years since we had a real tree; allergies have gotten in the way.

But, as I remember it, here's the drill:

the tree you eventuallly buy has already been cut; it's not getting any fresher.

So buy it when you feel like it. Bring it home, and prop it against the garage in a pail of water, and keep refreshing the water.

Before you put it up, cut a few inches off the bottom of the trunk to enable it to "drink" from the tree stand.

Is that about right?

eta:-- I went to the experts:
    http://www.christmastree.org/care.cfm

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 27, 2010

I like getting a (real) tree at least 2 wks before Christmas, so it's up for a good amount of time. Ideally, Dec 1st is nice, so it's up for practically the whole month & all that work setting it up & decorating it would have really been worth it.

20. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Nov 27, 2010

I know many people who got their trees yesterday and they always look nice after Christmas. We will probably get ours next weekend and we leave it up until New Years.

21. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 27, 2010

At most tree farms they will give you a package of stuff to put in the water, like you get with flowers.

Also, ask them to shake the tree to remove loose, dead needles before you take it home.