Christmas program ideas for preschool

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by BK1Ohio, Oct 5, 2007.

1. BK1Ohio

BK1Ohio Rookie

Oct 5, 2007

Hi

I'm brand new to this forum. I was just hoping someone had ideas for a preschool Christmas program. I just found out today that I am going to be in charge of our program this year. Any ideas would be helpful. Thank-you

3. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2007

religious or santa etc. ?

4. BK1Ohio

BK1Ohio Rookie

Oct 5, 2007

Santa Etc

5. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2007

Some song ideas : up on the house top ..hand motions and they can make raindeer antlers

i liked the show and tell idea ..maybe you can modify it ...http://www.cathysmusic.com/showandtell.html

christmas around the world

6. BK1Ohio

BK1Ohio Rookie

Oct 5, 2007

Thank- you. I do like Up on the Housetop and we did that song along with others,last year. We will probably do alot of the same songs as last year. Any ideas for themes?

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2007

One year we did a short play of the Gingerbread Man. There were the main characters and the rest of the kids sang along(it was with a tape,) "Run, run as fast as you can, you can't catch me, I'm the Gingerbread Man!" It was adorable!
    We love doing plays. Another year we did "The Christmas Spider." That was very cute, too. I was the narrarator. One year we did "A Saviour is Born." One of the boys was supposed to stand up and announce, " Jesus is "born." He stood up and said very innocently, "Jesus is boring!" He was only 4. He had been saying that in practice and it was so cute and funny! I don't know what we are doing this year. We have quite a few kids so it should be quite a challenge. We always sing songs at the end of our little skits.

8. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Oct 5, 2007

Deedee- I have been invited for the second year to bring my Pre-K and perform at the town Christmas event. I looked at the site you provided. How long does it last. Last year, I almost fainted when I faced the crowds. I would love the music on tape. Have you done this?

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2007

I am also looking at that site. The one called, Someone has a Birthday." What do you all think of that one for 3 and 4 year olds?

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 5, 2007

We made bells one year when I taught two-year-olds by decorating small (one inch) flower pots. You then put a pipe cleaner through the bottom and attach a real bell. We took them on stage and sang Jingle Bells while we shook them. It helped them to forget everyone was looking at us and focus on singing/having fun. We also sang our red song and green song so that everyone could hear what we were learning and how important all that "playing" is.

11. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Oct 6, 2007

No I have never done this but it looked cute.

Grammy- I think the Birthday one is very cute! And I loved your gingerbread idea ..did you have a script?

Heres one more I found :

http://www.apples4theteacher.com/holidays/christmas/plays/index.html

12. BK1Ohio

BK1Ohio Rookie

Oct 6, 2007

Grammy Teacher

I like your idea about the gingerbread man program. Do you have the program or the details on costumes and scenerey? Any input you have or anyone has would be appreciated.

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 6, 2007

We do one with the whole school... 2's classes through PReK/K-age. We stay away from the "Religious" stuff as much as we can and try to make it more winter-themed. Here's what we did last year:

2's and 3's classes sang a snow song:

Twinkle Twinkle tune:
    Snowflakes, snowflakes falling down
    on the trees and on the ground
    I will build a man of snow
    Tall black hat and eyes of coal
    If the sun comes out today
    I will watch you melt away.

4's and 5's classes did a snow poem (don't remember which one, that wasn't my class)

Everybody together did a musical version of the mitten:

Tune: Farmer in the Dell:

The mitten in the snow
    The mitten in the snow
    Help us please
    So we don't freeze
    The mitten in the snow.

The (animal) squeezes in,
    The (animal) squeezes in
    Help us please
    So we don't freeze
    The mitten in the snow

went through all the different animals in order... then the last verse:

The mouse says "achoo!"
    The mouse says "achoo"
    All the animals fly out
    of the mitten in the snow.

Each class picked one kid to be a specific animal, so those kids acted it out while everybody else sang. We used a table with a posterboard cutout in front for the "mitten."

Then another song about mittens:

Tune: 6 little ducks

Colorful mittens for me and you
    red ones, yellow ones, blue ones, too
    But the one pair of mittens that rhymes with "bean"
    They're my favorite mittens and they are green
    They are green
    They are green
    They're my favorite mittens and they are green.

We did that with several different colors and rhymes, and each class had mittens of one color they help up for their verse.

Then we invited the infant and toddler classes up with their teachers and parents (if they wanted) and gave them jingle bells and everybody sang Rudolph and Jingle Bells.

14. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Oct 14, 2007

We are a church based school and I purchased the Christmas All Around play from that site and it looks fantastic!! The skit and songs are sweet, simple and 20 minutes long. Each song has a simple melody and lyrics with cute hand motions. The props and costumes are very simple. I also purchased the CD with just the music so I won't have to play my guitar (less stress). I can just sit in front of the kids, narrate, and push the buttons to the CD player. I am so excited to get started. Our play is December 14th.

15. BK1Ohio

BK1Ohio Rookie

Oct 14, 2007

Christmas Program

Dzenna:

Thank you very much for your idea. Our preschool is not church based so ours has to do more with Santa but some religious songs are also wonderful. Thank you so much for your ideas.

BK1Ohio

16. wilderjs

wilderjs New Member

Sep 11, 2012

I wanted to see what your script was for the Gingerbread Man play? Can you share it with me? Thank you

17. wilderjs

wilderjs New Member

Sep 11, 2012

I wanted to see what your script was for the Gingerbread Man play, would you be willing to share? thank you!!

18. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2012

WE used a very old "tape" that read the story and played the song, "Run, Run, Gingerbread Man, etc." We made costumes and the kids acted out the story along with the tape. If you can't find a CD of it, perhaps you could have a narrator? It is the cutest thing we've done with them at Christmas so far.

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2012

20. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso