Christmas gift ideas for our fellow teachers

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Nov 8, 2010

Let's start a thread about affordable teacher gifts. I have 8 to buy this year! :eek: (4 team teachers, the 2 TA's I share, the tutor I share, and my mentor.)

I am not a cook, so cookies are out ;)

I got the idea to order mouse pads with their names on them, but I can't find them, believe it or not...they're all ugly or tacky. I thought about VistaPrint, but their free ones aren't so great.

What ideas do you have?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 8, 2010

Well, I think I know what NOT to get teachers anymore because they probably have tons of them already & are sick of getting them:

- candles
    - Christmas ornaments
    - stationary or note sets
    - coffee mugs
    - hot beverage packets
    - soup mixes

I know there's more, but I can't think of them at the moment.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 8, 2010

My "go to" gift, which is my "I don't know if anyone's getting me something so I have some stock gifts with me just in case Ineed to reciprocate" is a bag of spiced tea... it's a old family recipe (not really sure where mom got the recipe from, but it's been a staple in my house since I can remember)... it's a dry mix of tang, lemonade mix, instant tea, and some spices. I give that out with the recipe... sometimes in a mug or cute container, sometimes without. My mom also has a "fireside coffee" that's a mixture of hot cocolate and coffee and creamer. I'm not a coffee drinker, but it's still pretty good. Samples of each with te recipes attached make a nice gift :)

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2010

We make that too. We call it Russian Tea. :)

From the perspective of the gift-getter, I really enjoy anything that lets me know that you were thinking about me...so anything works! Some of my favorite gifts are home-made treats, Christmas tea towels, and bookmarks. I don't particularly enjoy candy canes and cheap, nasty chocolates from the dollar store.

Last year I got everyone in my department a little Christmas kitchen towel/potholder/scrubber set.

6. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 8, 2010

I embroidery, so I give items that I made. This year it is kitchen towels.

One year I gave cookie mix in a jar. Last year I personalized insulated mugs for everyone with embroideried initials.

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Fanatic

Nov 8, 2010

8. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Nov 8, 2010

I usually make buddy basket bars from Longaberger Baskets, but this year, I'm going to give out sweet and salty mix that a former parent at our school was famous for. Her kids no longer go to our school, but we miss her mix! :) It's so good....and I got the recipe from her.

9. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Nov 8, 2010

Of course by this time of the year, I just want some new, nice pens, and post its....as my supplies as just simply running out.

10. Harper

Harper Companion

Nov 8, 2010

OOHH Me too! I would love a refresher of all the cute stuf i get at the beginning of the year. I am down to the school-issued ball points and yellow stickies. I know everyone is different, but I love a fun pen and pretty note pads.

Or - a pre-holiday gift - a basket of fruit at the beginning of the month to help me stay away from the treats in the faculty room!

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 8, 2010

I like to give nice Thank you card sets since ours are all depleted after the Holidays ;) I have also given photo ornaments, Kohl's sells them in sets of 3-4 for fairly cheap and then open the package and re-wrap!

12. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Nov 8, 2010

I grew up on "spiced tea." I always figured my mom invented it! :)

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 8, 2010

I got a mouse pad from Vista print with my GS's photo on it. I also got a mug with a photo on it. I love them both.

14. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2010

Last year, I was on a TIGHT budget, and needed lots of school gifts.

I bought candied almonds at Trader Joes, put about 1/4 of the bag in some saran wrap, and tied it up with pretty ribbon.

Enough of a gift to show that I was thinking of the person, but affordable enough on a budget.

It was nice, and I made a few extras, for the people that hand you something that you weren't expecting - "oh, and I have this for you!"

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2010

For a gift that doesn't cost anything--do someone's recess or bus duty for them, cover their class for a period and give them a surprise break, plan an activity that your classes can do together.

16. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Nov 9, 2010

Can someone post the recipe for the spiced tea? Is it the same thing as a chai tea? A cute mug and some bath oils or a candle (I have a Yankee outlet near me) might be nice.

17. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Nov 9, 2010

Omg, score!! I got another Vistaprint email, this time with free mouse pads. I wasn't going to get my principal anything but they have an adorable one with a cute image of our mascot!!!

Should I order "Mrs. Lastname" or "Firstname Lastname?" I think Mrs. Lastname is best....

She's going to love it, she collects things with our mascot ;)

18. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Nov 9, 2010

Total score, lol! I just ordered one for my principal, with her name and school. Cost me $4 and change, including shipping!! Tonight I'll place more individual orders for everyone else (only 1 free at a time.) That means I can get everyone a really nice gift for about $35, totally in my budget! :)

19. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 9, 2010

I done the holiday scratch offs too for people.

20. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Nov 9, 2010

This idea was posted here a few years ago. I took it and everyone loved it! In fact, I may use it again this year since I am at a new school. Bake a batch of brownies in pie plates. Depending on the size of the mix it can be one pan or two. When they are cooled, cut into triangle shaped pieces. 6 or 8 to a pan. Wrap them individually in saran wrap. I usually use a label on the back to secure it. The label says "Happy Holidays from the ____" and has holiday themed clip art. On the front, hot glue a red pom pom at the point that was the middle of the pan and two wiggle eyes. On the back, tape some antlers that you have made out of pipe cleaners. Walaa! A delicious brownie disguised as a reindeer!

21. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2010

This year I think I am just going to make lunch for my department one day. Something in the crock pot, a yummy dessert and somethign to drink. Not to hard.