Christian school advice

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by zboss, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jun 17, 2019

To directly answer the question, a response may depend on your relationship with the students. A reminder of school code ought to do it, but a lot of this simply may be unthinking kids being kids.

I know you are more likely to ally yourself with non-Christian students, but your job is to help--or not help--all students.

I'd say this is less religious persecution and more lack of social skills. Some religions and people are more outspoken than others. Does not make the behavior necessarily wrong.

If it really isn't bullying, consider staying out of it. If it does nag on you, see if the school isn't up for some social skills

ready2learn likes this.
  2. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2019

That's a very, very fine line, considering that official religious dogma is that non-believers deserve infinite torture. I imagine a few hundred years ago some would have argued that burning heretics alive was a kindness, because if they converted during the ordeal they would be saved from Gehenna.

I'm sure the topic has come up in the discussion the OP mentions. Try playing out that mental discussion among kids and try to imagine something unlike bullying. On either side, actually, because most kids aren't going to articulate, "your beliefs are based on flawed assumptions" in kind phrasing either..

3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jun 18, 2019

I highly doubt this went anywhere near burning heretics.

And yes, it's easy to imagine an uncomfortable discussion that isn't bullying. Keep in mind, I have a standard for bullying. If this is merely because kids can't articulate, I doubt it's bullying unless there were other factors.

4. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2019

I would be surprised if the topic of hell didn't come up during a conversion discussion, especially among kids. Having a standard is definitely a good idea, but when it involves reading the intent of kids -- well, judge well and carefully.

(Not that it's avoidable -- I agree with you that the intent of the kids is important, but I don't think this is always easy to assess).

Backroads likes this.
  5. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jun 18, 2019

My problem is why should one child be allowed to be cornered and harassed by one group of children on the basis that their religion says it's okay? On top of that, none of them are old enough to fully understand what it is that they're preaching to start with. My religion could say that sacrificing a Virgin is the only way to appease the forest gods in order to keep the Earth alive. I'm sure that would be frowned upon because killing people = illegal. But I'm willing to bet if I could prove it in the Bible it wouldn't be so illegal. So where is the line drawn that your religion can defend your actions? The common answer is when it crosses into the territory of hurting someone else.

whizkid and Backroads like this.
  6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jun 18, 2019

Well said! Political, religious, or other discussions should be allowed if polite, honest, and age appropriate. As you stated well, hurting someone else is crossing the line.

Backroads likes this.
  7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jun 18, 2019

The OP never said anyone was cornered. They said it was almost harassing/bullying. What does that mean? I agree it's uncouth and less than helpful to behave that way, but I also don't think the conversation itself is bullying. We're they yelling at the other kids? Shoving them? Taunting them? We already know this seems to be a one-time thing, which means it was rude or even mean, but any more than that? No.

Kids do in fact talk religion. It's not always smooth. I full on agree with @readingrules12 but if no one was hurt, it's a social skills problem and may be one the kids need to manuever themselves if it's not escalating.

In my youth, I was told I was an idiot/sheep/moron/brainwashed whatever/etc by the pagan and atheist kids for simply off-handedly mentioning my religion.(I do not intend a goose/gander comparison, just sharing an experience) It was not considered bullying at time, because it was single incidents and no one was hurt. I know we have higher standards now and that's generally good, but some things are the awkward rude things they are but nothing more.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    greendream and ready2learn like this.
  8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jun 18, 2019

I think the mission statement is apart from the proselytizing.

If the kids did respond such, I would say they are doing a poor job of it that contradicts the mission statement and that it is sowing discord. Be the teacher and tell them to knock it off, if it's a problem. Point out they were probably getting unwelcome signals.

9. Pisces

Pisces Rookie

Jun 19, 2019

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2019

So your pagan butt is not a reason to advise someone to quit a job. IMO.

3Sons, greendream and ready2learn like this.
  11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2019

Subjected to? We know nothing other than its a Christian school. Which for many here represents good morals and philosophy. Stop bringing religious intolerance into this. The kids’ behavior can be addressed through Christian values. The kids and many here are misinformed .

12. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jun 19, 2019

Sorry I believe in finding employment in non-toxic environments.

whizkid likes this.
  13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2019

You are incredibly closed minded

greendream likes this.
  14. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jun 19, 2019

Possibly. In my mind, any school that preaches a religious doctrine — regardless of the doctrine — is toxic. So if that makes me close minded, so be it. But I wouldn't be caught dead working there, would not dare send my kids there. And really it's nothing against Christians. I hate religious schools of any doctrine for minors.

whizkid likes this.
  15. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 19, 2019

And bullying and harassment.

"The kids’ behavior can be addressed through Christian values."

Whatever. Next time, if you don't like the opinion, don't reply.