Christian school advice

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by zboss, Jun 13, 2019 at 2:29 AM.

1. zboss

zboss New Member

Jun 13, 2019 at 2:29 AM

I've been lurking on this forum, but I'm going to post this now. I'm not religious, but I teach at a Christian school. One of the stated missions of the school is to make kids into Godly young people and to spread the love of God.
    I have some students who are not Christian. For example, there's an atheist girl who doesn't believe in any religion. There's also a Jewish girl who doesn't believe in Jesus. The problem is that I heard some other students harassing them, and it almost seemed like bullying. They kept telling them that their beliefs are wrong and that they should convert. They said they know for sure that their own beliefs are correct and that it's their job to make people know the truth. If people don't know the truth, they'll go to hell. I felt bad for the girls, but I didn't do anything to stop this because I wanted to wait and see if they would do this again. It turns out they didn't do it again and now, the school year's almost over.
    But what would you have done in this situation? What if you told them to stop, and they said "But we're 100% sure that we know the true Jesus. So we feel sorry for non-Christians because they're wrong. That's why we should try to save them."?

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 13, 2019 at 6:40 AM

Does your school promote "spreading the love" as being the same as "saving" people? I think they are two different things (but to fanatics they might be the same).

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jun 13, 2019 at 9:46 AM

I teach at a Christian school and we have a very strict policy on this behavior. We teach that all are welcomed and loved by God. There are plenty of passages in the bible that demonstrate how Jesus showed incredible love and compassion with people who did not believe in God or chose sinful lives. Some examples are his stories of The Prodigal Son and The Good Samaritan. Also, his showing of compassion with the Woman at the Well, the Woman caught in adultery, and Mary Magdalene. At the Last Supper, Jesus gave us a new commandment to Love One Another as he has loved us.

One way to put it is the inside and outside of a person. If a person hits another person, that is a behavior that is observed and we can say that is wrong, don't do it. We can teach right and wrong behavior. However, we are not to judge someone's heart. We don't know all the whys a person does something. A child might be an atheist for the same reason another child is a Christian, both may just be obeying and following their parents.

Children (and even adults) need to learn how to value all people even when we don't agree with their beliefs. As the popular Christian hymn says, "All Are Welcome in His Name."

5. Aces

Aces Cohort

Jun 13, 2019 at 10:10 AM

It is bullying but your admin team may be hesitant to to address it because "Christian". Personally? I'd run the other direction. With a quickness.

talknteach likes this.
  6. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 13, 2019 at 10:32 AM

How exactly were those kids harrasing? In their eyes, those Christian kids were trying to spread the word of God. It probably should have been worded better, but their intentions were most likely pure. Does your school have bible class? I used to teach at a Christian school, and every student had a required bible class for every grade level. I wonder how those nonChristian students reacted in bible class.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 13, 2019 at 10:55 AM

That's why I asked what they meant by "spread the love". It seems like bullying to me but the fanatics would state otherwise.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 13, 2019 at 10:58 AM

"They kept telling them that their beliefs are wrong and that they should convert. They said they know for sure that their own beliefs are correct and that it's their job to make people know the truth". That doesn't sound like they are trying to "help" in any way. It might be that their parents act like that towards others and they think it's perfectly acceptable to tell people they are wrong.
    I'm also wondering why there are non Christian students going to this school. Wouldn't it make sense for people to send their children to the school that is the best fit for them and their family?

readingrules12 likes this.
  9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jun 13, 2019 at 12:44 PM

We get students of different religions that attend our Christian school too. The 2 largest reasons are for the academics and that they feel less bullied than the nearby public schools. (Many public schools are good, but not near the area where I teach). Non-Christian students can flourish at a Christian school if they feel accepted. It is too bad that this isn't happening at the OP's school. I hope steps can be taken to improve this situation.

10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jun 13, 2019 at 12:48 PM

So if a student is being bullied you'd run away? I have never found running away solves problems, and I hope the OP doesn't take this advice. This student needs the help of the teacher.

11. Aces

Aces Cohort

Jun 13, 2019 at 2:23 PM

Uh no. Maybe I wasn't clear. Address the bullying, put in applications else where. As in... I'd leave that school so fast.

12. Aces

Aces Cohort

Jun 13, 2019 at 2:26 PM

Honestly it's going to get extremely muddled and fast. Because for one they have the defense of "Well it is a Christian school". Not that it's right or wrong, but the augment could be presented from the admins as a well you knew what you were signing up for this is what we believe in here. As far as I'm concerned it's bullying and shouldn't be tolerated.

whizkid likes this.
  13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2019 at 7:50 AM

Being a Christian and godly would include treating others with respect and kindness. Just as Jesus would. Period.

14. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 15, 2019 at 2:12 PM

Leave..........quick, fast and in a hurry.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2019 at 5:55 AM

Why? One doesn’t just up and leave a school because of a few kids’ behavior. This is a teachable moment.

16. Aces

Aces Cohort

Jun 16, 2019 at 11:58 AM

Oh no we're not talking about the kids' behavior. My pagan butt wouldn't be caught dead working there to start with.

whizkid likes this.
  17. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 16, 2019 at 1:44 PM

[​IMG]

18. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jun 16, 2019 at 2:38 PM

Actually yes, we are talking about the kid's behavior. Let's keep it on that and not on opinions of whether we want to work in a Christian school. That is unfair to the OP.

19. Aces

Aces Cohort

Jun 16, 2019 at 2:41 PM

No, it was mentioned that the kids' behavior was not a good reason to run from the school. Which is not what I was referring to. The bullying should have been addressed, and should be in the future. And I'd still run the other away from the school.

whizkid likes this.
  20. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 16, 2019 at 3:40 PM

How so? You can't separate the child's behavior from the environment the child is being subjected to. The OP is also subjected to this environment just by working there. I don't know the religious beliefs of the OP, but if they're not in sync with the school, the OP will be next. That's a feeble attempt to not get a Christian school criticized.

Aces likes this.
  21. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 16, 2019 at 3:41 PM

Leave OP, leave now.