Christian private school

Discussion in 'General Education' started by EducatorForGod, Jan 12, 2008.

1. EducatorForGod

EducatorForGod Rookie

Jan 12, 2008

I have been teaching at a small Christian private school (K-12th) for almost 2 years now. I enjoy it very much. Are there any other Christian teachers like myself here? :)

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 12, 2008

I worked at a small prek-12 Christian school last year. I was only there one year, though because as much as I enjoyed it, I couldn't afford to work there another year.

4. EducatorForGod

EducatorForGod Rookie

Jan 12, 2008

Beth

Nice to meet you! :D

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2008

This is my 23rd year teaching in Catholic Schools, my 16th in the high school where I currently teach.

Welcome!

6. EducatorForGod

EducatorForGod Rookie

Jan 12, 2008

Alice

Hello! Nice to meet you as well. :) It's nice to see other teachers in the Christian school settings.

7. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jan 12, 2008

This is my third year teaching in a Lutheran school that's prek-8.

8. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Jan 12, 2008

I teach at a prek-8 Catholic school. I'm in my 2nd year here, but I'm having a baby in September so I won't be returning.

9. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 12, 2008

This is my 8th year at a Catholic school. I am a Christian, but not Catholic. What I love about the school is that I can bring God into the classroom, point out the marvelous things He has created, give Him the credit. And of course the whole school supports using God as our value system, and we teach this to the kids all the time. Bullying is not acceptable, all the way down to a mean tone of voice.

10. jwilliamson

jwilliamson Companion

Jan 12, 2008

This is my first year in a Christian school in PA. I absolutely love it!

11. wig

wig Devotee

Jan 12, 2008

This is my 36th year in Lutheran Schools.

12. EducatorForGod

EducatorForGod Rookie

Jan 12, 2008

What curriculum

What is being used in your private school? How do you feel about it? Thanks! :)

13. wig

wig Devotee

Jan 12, 2008

I don't understand what you are asking.

14. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 12, 2008

I think she is asking what materials do you use. Such as Abekka, Harcourt, etc.

15. EducatorForGod

EducatorForGod Rookie

Jan 12, 2008

Bonneb: Yes, that's exactly what I mean. TY. :)

16. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Jan 13, 2008

This is my fourth year teaching, and my third year in a Catholic school. I started out teaching 3rd grade in Catholic school and loved it, but was too far from my family. So I moved closer to my family when I got the chance to move to the public schools. Part of that didn't work out and part of it I didn't enjoy. This year, I am back in Catholic school teaching kindergarten and I absolutely love it. I don't know if I'll be able to afford to spend my career there, but if I could make it financially, that is definitely where I'd stay for my career!
    We teach the normal curriculum. Houghton Mifflin reading(don't like), Houghton Mifflin math(a little better), McGraw Hill Social Studies(I'd rather make my own), and we use Foss kits for science. I like those, but they are a little to advanced for my K kids. I have to scale them way back. We use Sadlier as our religion curriculum and I think it's too wordy for kindergarten, but I would like it for the older grades.

17. wig

wig Devotee

Jan 13, 2008

I'm sorry. If I had read your title I would have KNOWN what you were talking about. :blush:

We use secular materials with the exception of religion which is Concordia (CPH). Of course we integrate Christ in all of our subject areas.

18. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Jan 13, 2008

We also use secular materials mostly. In my preschool class we use HighReach, and I can't remember the name of our religion curriculum but its different from the rest of the school. In the 3rd/4th grade religion class I teach, we use Benziger Christ Jesus, the Way.

19. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jan 13, 2008

We use all secular materials except for our religion material which is Concordia. As others have said, we include Jesus and religious aspects throughout classsroom discussions in all subjects.

20. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jan 13, 2008

I'm in my 30th year in faith-based schools (only 2 all these years).God opened the door at the right time in my life and I haven't felt led to leave it yet! I began as an aide in Kindergarten but because of the teacher's health I actually taught the majority of the year. Then the PK3 teacher retired and I took that position. Taught PK3 for several years, then moved to PK4. Wouldn't want to go back to PK3, love PK4, but also wouldn't mind teaching K (if we ever have an opening-we fortunately don't have a large turnover).
    Our school is PK3-8th grades. Our PK started using the Abeka curriculum about 10 years ago because that's what was/is used in K-8th and they wanted to be "uniform". There's A LOT I don't like about it but it's what the school requires so I use it as a guide and pull a lot from other resources to have as balanced a program as I can. I'm very much a believer in the hands-on approach to learning (Abeka is not!). Flexibility and creativity along with wonderful sites like this one, where plenty of support and ideas are shared certainly helps! :)

21. anniefan

anniefan Rookie

Jan 13, 2008

This is my 20th year in Christian school! I love what I do! The biggest problem we are having here is the decline in enrollment. I don't know if that's the case in other areas or not. I'm on northern KY. We use Pro Series for Bible, Shurley English, Sadlier-Oxford Math, Bob Jones reading, heritage, and science.