Childcraft sand and water table

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by clarnet73, Aug 23, 2011.

1. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 23, 2011

I am getting a new sensory table this year because the maintenance guys threw mine out due to a broken caster (never mind the fact that, because of the lifetime warranty, I was busy trying to get the order info from 2 years ago to order a new one...). My P told me I could order the same one, but I don't totally love that table. I was figuring if I can find one I like better that costs less, she'd go for that.

I had this one: http://store.schoolspecialtyonline....uctDetail.jsp?itemId=463537&itemNumber=084746

It's great EXCEPT the bin doesn't lift out... so emptying/changing stuff is a pain since i have to lift the whole table.

I found this one: http://store.schoolspecialtyonline....uctDetail.jsp?itemId=490598&itemNumber=296129

I'm a BIG fan of the clear tub (sink and float... plus it heightens the interest, as well as encourages kids to communicate when they have to ask for it to be opened).

What I'm wondering is if anyone has this table... how is the quality? I have lots of Childcraft stuff, but not this particular item. Does the bin lift out???

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 24, 2011

just bumping in case someone missed it :)

4. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Aug 24, 2011

I'm pretty sure that we used to have the second table in our classroom. The bin does lift out. That's how I accidently broke the drain valve on the bottom. I have bad luck with discovery tables, I've broken 3 of them since I started teaching. Since the drain valve is now broken we only use it for sand play, and another table for water and other mediums in the table.

I love the clear tub for water play. However, as soon as you add sand to the table, the sand will start scratching the plastic of the tub. After a while the tub gets so scratched that you can't see through it very well.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 24, 2011

Thanks... that's what I needed to know.

I have another table in my room, it's just small, and too tall for my youngest kids. If I get the first one, I'll get the toddler size so that my just-turned-3's can reach it. My 4's pull over chairs on their own ;) Taller kids pulling over chairs is a better alternative than making the little kids get on stools.

That means I can keep sand out of the clear one. I've kept sand in a tub, anyway, since i don't like having it out all the time.

Mrgrinch, how sturdy is the table? I know the Jonti-craft one (top one) is pretty sturdy. Is the Childcraft one, also?

6. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Aug 27, 2011

It looks sturdy to me.

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 29, 2011

Thanks... I ordered it today ;)