Child who doesn't speak English...

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by luv2teach415, Aug 28, 2008.

1. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Aug 28, 2008

So I need some help/advice. I just found out from my principal that I will have 24 students. One of the students she just accepted. The only problem is that he does not speak a word of English. He speaks Chinese. Now he will be in ELL first period every morning and also maybe ELL 3 times a week in the afternoon. My question is, how do I handle this situation? I don't speak Chinese at all. But how do I teach him the subjects that I need to teach like Social Studies and Grammar/English when he can't understand me? I know I can have some of my other students in the class help out but I can't rely on them for everything. Also, what do I do when I give a test? What kind of a test should he get? If anyone has any suggestions at all, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for listening.

3. matchstickgirl

matchstickgirl Companion

Aug 29, 2008

Oh my gosh, that's so hard! When I student taught I had a student who only spoke Vietamese. It's such a struggle when you can't speak with them at all.

Some things that I did for social studies, was focus a lot on the pictures. Even maybe picking out vocabulary words for him to know and then have him draw what it is through a picture will hopefully help him to understand what it is that is being talked about. And of course acting stuff out about what is being read is great too. You might even have the kids reenact what is going on, and have him in a group doing the same so that through the movements he'll understand hopefully the basics of what has been studied.

As far as grammar and english, that will be such a battle because trying to understand 5th grade work when you don't know the language is tough. The only thing I would think of doing is modify it the best you can so that he can try to do some of the work on his own. Or perhaps allowing him a dictionary to use for things like looking up parts of speech. Or perhaps allowing him to learn some of the basics like contractions, negatives, proper/common nouns?

Oy, good luck! Just know that things will be much easier after winter break! I had a primarily Spanish speaker last year, and by January I couldn't get him to stop talking! :)

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2008

The ELL teacher should send him back to you with work he can do. You need to keep teaching- in English. A fifth grader will take longer to learn English than perhaps a PreK or K kid, but with support from home he should start learning English from immersion in the language and guidance from the ELL teacher. Have you sought out the ELL teacher about strategies to use in your room?

5. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Aug 29, 2008

Non speaking

:rolleyes: I thought your post was about a child who did not speak...at all. But, there was a child in second grade who was from China. A lot of people are moving here from China. Well, he spoke no English. The ELL teacher worked with him each day. I agree with czacza. Always use English when speaking to him. Point out things .... I see working with these new students the way I and any parent introduces new words to their toddlers. Read read read to them. The younger children learn much more quickly. The super cool thing about this is that your other students will jump in to help him and in turn he will/can teach them Chinese. How cool is that? Awsome. Don't look at his not speaking English as a hindrance (sp). Look at it as an opportunity for everyone. The Chinese 2nd grader learned words quickly. He did his work quietly :) The other kids helped. And by the end of the year he was speaking limited English. And the others learned a little Chinese. Best of Luck!!!!

6. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Aug 29, 2008

I do plan on speaking to the ELL teacher as soon as we have our first faculty meeting. I will definitely be using more pictures with him. I even plan on using the other students to help out. My school is predominately Asian, so I will have my other students at times help with the translation.