Chickaboom Tree

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cutNglue, Aug 15, 2009.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 15, 2009

Someone posted a CUTE Chickaboom Boom Tree. Of course I wanted to modify it and make the tree a magnetic tree in order to use it as a manipulative and let the kids put magnetic letters going up the tree. I am frustrated because I really want to use this tree in our reading corner and I already have a few ideas on how to use it in our lessons. I can't seem to make it happen though.

First I thought about using the empty cardboard carpet roll cut down and painting it (or something else) with a magnetic brown paint. In order to do this though I have to use 2 kinds of paint and this costs over $25 to do.

Then I decided I would use big empty food cans. I would stack them together and adhere chocolate brown duct tape to hold them together and to "paint" the bark. Not only do I not know if the magnetic letters are strong enough to go through the tape but I can't find the chocolate brown duct tape at Walmart or Home Depot (still looking elsewhere). I don't really want to buy it online.

The idea was to have this as the base and then to have my husband drill a hole through the cans to put in an old umbrella (strip the fabric) and then make stuffed leaves covering the umbrella wires. Someone has a cute picture of this.

When I get back from shopping today, I'll try to find it. In the meantime, can you help me brainstorm this project?

3. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 15, 2009

What about wrapping the cans in brown fabric or construction paper after they are stacked? Or painting the cans brown?

4. cheer

cheer Comrade

Aug 15, 2009

What about empty carpet tube with hollowed out coffee/veg cans around it? I made one of these years ago but not magnetic. I used velcro on the tree and letters.

5. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Aug 15, 2009

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 15, 2009

I definitely want to make the tree interactive. I thought about painting the cans brown but I still had the issue of getting them attached to each other. I may have to go with a velcro idea instead. (Wheels turning). I sooo wanted the magnetic idea though. I just don't see it happening.

Oh, and how would you adhere fabric to the cans and do you think the magnets would be strong enough to go through that? Surely fabric isn't that thick.

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 15, 2009

We have one that is a carpet roll with washers hot glued on it

8. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Aug 15, 2009

I would think fabric would be pretty thin and a good magnet could stick to a can through it. But sometimes those letter magnets don't exactly have the best magnets attached to the back of them! I would just test it first. Go to a fabric store with a can and a letter magnet and put the fabric over the can and test away! Yea, it might look a little funny, but oh well. And then you'll know if it'll work or not!

I guess a hot glue gun would work to adhere the fabric to the cans. You might get bumps of glue showing through, though. Hot glue or epoxy might work to adhere the cans to each other.

9. gator_girl

gator_girl New Member

Aug 16, 2009

This is what I did to make mine. I used two empty formula cans (I got mine from Sams when my youngest was still on formula). Then I taped the two together and covered with brown butcher paper. I glued the paper on with rubber cement glue and then used a clear tape where the ends met. I went to Michael's and bought the palm frawns for the top. I used it all last year in my alphabet center and never had any problems.

10. forkids

forkids Cohort

Aug 16, 2009

This isn't as cool as a freestanding tree, but I made a Chickaboom tree out of paper, laminated it, and attached it to the side of a filing cabinet. It works great with magnetic letters and the added bonus is that I can store the reading/writing center materials in the filing cabinet. I know a teacher who painted the tree right on the filing cabinet - but I'm not that talented.

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 16, 2009

You may be able to find brown duct tape at Michaels. I saw a huge display at two of them I've been to in the the last two weeks.

Also, do you have an Ikea near you? They sell huge banana leaves that you stick in the top of the carpet roll:

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=4285494

(disclaimer: I don't have one on the store anymore. But if you catch me before 1pm CA time, I may be able to pick you up a few, as we're going to Ikea this afternoon...)

12. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2009

What about covering it with felt and having felt letters, like the old fashioned felt boards you may remember from when we were young?

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 16, 2009

I thought about that but felt letters are expensive. I'm not sure how much felt itself would cost if I tried to cover a 5 ft tree but I know the letters are expensive enough.

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 16, 2009

That's cute Jem but I'm not planning to spend money on the leaves. I'm using our good ole' fashion BB paper that comes free with the school. I'm really trying to be frugal this year. As it is, I'm not sure I'm doing this book if I can't TRANSLATE it well enough. It was such a cute idea I hated to give up on it.