Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Letter Exchange

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Carrie, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Carrie

Carrie New Member

Jun 25, 2012

I would like to start a Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Letter Exchange with a twist for the 2012-2013 school! I teach 2nd grade, and one of our standards is to recognize that although people come from different places, they may share common traditions, goals, and customs. To meet this standard, this is what I am proposing:

1. 26 classes from around the country/world will each be assigned a letter of the alphabet.

2. Each class will create 26 of their assigned letter (uppercase). This might include a die-cut letter, or a pattern I will provide. The letter must fit on an 8.5 x 11" piece of cardstock.

3. The students in each class will decorate the 26 letter pages with pictures and decorations beginning with the assigned letter AND corresponding to the place where the class is located. (For example, if you get the letter S and you're from California, you might include a picture of the sun, some sand, a fold-out (brochure) about San Diego, etc...)

4. Each class will compose a typed letter to accompany each of the 26 letter pages. The letter should be at least two paragraphs describing your class, city, and state, as well as some of the interesting events that you celebrate in your community.

5. Each class will mail out 25 of the letter pages and letters to classrooms around the country/world so that in the end, each of the 26 participating classrooms will have a full alphabet book about the country/world!

If you would like to participate, please send me an email at carriesue23@hotmail.com so that I can put together a list and give everyone their assigned alphabet letters and the date the envelopes need to be mailed by. I look forward to hearing from you!

3. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jun 25, 2012

This is a neat idea. I see youre also in Az, so I wouldn't be much of an addition... But I hope you can find enough people! Good luck! I'm sure your students will love this!

4. Mrs.Lewis

Mrs.Lewis New Member

Jun 27, 2012

This sounds like an excellent Idea. I would be interested. I'm in Baltimore MD ( but I'm doing 3rd grade can I still participate?)

5. Carrie

Carrie New Member

Jun 28, 2012

Mrs.Lewis, I'd love to have you! I'm taking any grade levels willing to participate! If you would, either reply here or PM me with your name, school address, and email so that I can add you to the list. When the list is finished I will email it to you! Thanks!

6. catt4

catt4 New Member

Jul 17, 2012

I'm interested

I live in Redding, CA, and I am new to 2nd this year. I'd be interested to take part of this!