Chemistry Research Paper

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by MathTeach24, Jan 19, 2010.

1. MathTeach24

MathTeach24 Rookie

Jan 19, 2010

I am a first year science teacher & my principal has told me that he would like for my chemistry classes to write a research paper this quarter. Does anyone have any ideas for topics or websites that would provide accurate information? Thanks!

3. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jan 19, 2010

When I took chemistry in high school we had to write a research paper and do a presentation on a famous chemist. The teacher had a list of chemists you could choose from and no one was allowed to do the same chemist.

4. sfaoldguy

sfaoldguy Rookie

Jan 19, 2010

I am not a chemistry teacher, but maybe have the students choose an element and research who discovered it, its natural state, isotopes, allotropes, uses, how it is produced naturally/commercially, physical properties, atomic properties, health hazard data from a MSDS, etc. You know what the information your students should be able to comprehend and research effectively.

It is important that students get library time though so find out what is available in your school's library and possibly require them to use at least one of the books in the library as a source, not just internet sources.

Hope this helps.

5. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Jan 19, 2010

Have the students research an element, just like sfaoldguy said.

My students just wrote a paper about how chemistry is essential to another aspect of life including the economy, religion, politics, the enviroment ets. The could really pick anything as long as their reasons were valid.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 19, 2010

Make them choose a favorite chemical reaction. Have them explain what the reaction is, what happens, is it endo or exothermic, does it require a catalyst, what does it look like, who figured out that this is what happens when you combine those particular substances, ect. I had to do this in HS chemistry and it was pretty fun.

7. loveoforganic

loveoforganic Rookie

Jan 19, 2010

I like the last idea. Chances are they don't really have a multitude of reactions on recall that could be a 'favorite' one, so it would actually require some preliminary research.

8. MathTeach24

MathTeach24 Rookie

Jan 20, 2010

Thanks for all of the ideas. This is very helpful.

9. samuelarnold

samuelarnold Rookie

Jun 8, 2011

I once wrote a very good paper on toxic wastes, and simple substitutes to toxic household cleaners.Last week i have planned to buy term papers online due to my lack of academic writing skills.

There are lots of chemistry research papers topics are available on internet. make use of them.

10. samuelarnold

samuelarnold Rookie

Jun 8, 2011

Well, an antecedent is what happened prior to the behavior. Consequence is the result of the behavior.

11. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jun 10, 2011

Another idea is a research paper about a chemistry based career. Students would research the requirements for the career, where they could go to college, prospective employers, salaries,etc. It could help some see that this course is a stepping stone to better opportunities.

I did this with my physics class a few years ago and was impressed with the careers students found that had something to do with physics.

12. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2011

My favorite is to have them research a scientist and report not only on the discoveries, but on the experimental methods. For historical figures, this is especially useful because the students can analyze the scientific methods in terms of modern scientific method.

13. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jun 10, 2011