Checking in to see if position has been filled? Is August hiring common?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Annie Cox, Jul 24, 2017.

?

When did you get hired?

1. August

27.3%
  2. July

27.3%
  3. June

9.1%
  4. Earlier than June

36.4%
  1. Annie Cox

Annie Cox Rookie

Jul 24, 2017

I've been on three interviews. First one was back in June and I found out the day of from a generic email that I didn't get it. This Thursday, it will have been two weeks since the second one and this Wednesday, it will have been a week from the third one. I was told after both that I'd hear back either way. Can't help but think that, if it were good news, I'd know by now. That being said, would it be impolite to send an email after a couple weeks? I've already sent "thank you for the interview" emails so I want to avoid being a nag!

Also, in the likely and unfortunate case of both options falling through, could I still hold out hope for getting hired in August? I've heard through the grapevine that a lot of principals in my surrounding districts are just now coming back from vacation. Plus, a lot of new student registration starts in August so they may not even know how many teachers they need. Worst case scenario, I keep subbing and building other relevant experience.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 24, 2017

It depends on when your school starts. Teachers here on this site start anywhere from July to September, assuming you are in the US. If schools start later, there's still hope. There is sometimes an additional teacher needed to enrollment so there's even a smaller chance after school starts, but you only need one job offer!

From this site, I've seen a few times where it was quite some time after the interview before the candidate got the good news. In my experience, it's on the spot or later the same day.

4. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Jul 24, 2017

As has been said many times on this forum, yes, August hiring is common in some regions. Where I currently live, it's very rare. Where I used to live, it's quite common. No matter what region, there are plenty of times when a last minute hire is needed right before school begins or even after the school year begins.

Go ahead and send follow up emails if you are concerned about your status from the last two interviews.

5. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 24, 2017

Don't sit around and wait. You emailing them will not influence them in their decision. Keep applying to every job you're willing to travel too.

6. Annie Cox

Annie Cox Rookie

Jul 24, 2017

I live in Texas, closest major city is San Antonio. I've applied to a lot of different districts so there's some variation for when school begins, but most are either late August or early September.
    I guess everyone's experience is different and it all feels up in the air at the moment, but I appreciate the feedback! I will be sure to send those emails then.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 24, 2017

I've heard of many instances when teachers were hired a week / couple of days before school started, even right after. There are many things that can happen, more students enrll than anticipated, and sometimes teachers show up on the first day and quit. Ok, this probably doesn't happen a lot, but at my daughter's school it did.
    She said one of her teachers was packing up her things on the 1st or 2nd day and said that she's got a job by a nearby district (highly regarded district) because one of their teachers quit.

8. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 24, 2017

For my first job I was hired 2 days before classes started. I had started sending out emails to all middle and high schools in my commute range, whether they had a posted opening or not. One of those emails led to my first job.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 24, 2017

There are schools in Texas that start in September? You learn something every day. Public schools that aren't Districts of Innovation have the same start date. Most are going DOI though to get more freedom.

10. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 25, 2017

I started my job last year several weeks in. It can happen, but it's not super common.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jul 25, 2017

It is extremely uncommon here. We start the first week of August most years. It was August 3rd for students last year. It's later this year, on the 8th.

12. nyjets88

nyjets88 Rookie

Jul 25, 2017

Here August hiring is very common. School starts either the last week of August or first week of September. I had been looking for jobs for a few years and I've had more interviews in August than any other month. Last year I had zero interviews from March-mid August, and then 3 in the last 2 weeks of August.

13. johnab

johnab Rookie

Jul 25, 2017

Here in PA there are places still hiring. Especially LTS positions as things do come up.

14. Annie Cox

Annie Cox Rookie

Jul 28, 2017

Well, I got rejections back from both interviews. I had decided to throw in the towel for getting hired for the fall and even contacted my ACP to see about doing the clinical certification route instead of the probationary one when I got an email for another interview! Not going to get my hopes up again, but I guess I should wait at least until school starts before switching gears.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 28, 2017

Good luck on the interview. Are there any areas that threw you for a loop during previous interviews?

16. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 28, 2017

I have been hired twice in August and once in June. Around where I live, there is always a huge rush of openings in August when there are over-enrollments and/or teachers retiring last minute on July 30. Never say never!

17. Annie Cox

Annie Cox Rookie

Jul 31, 2017

Well, thank you all again for your advice and kind words. This website is definitely a great resource. I just went to the interview and was hired on the spot! I'm very excited about the school and the position. Still in a bit of shock, but so happy and relieved.

18. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 31, 2017

Congratulations! That is wonderful news! What will you be teaching?

19. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 31, 2017

Awesome. For anyone who sees this thread in the future, i've been in plenty of interviews where they say they will contact and never do. Some people just like to avoid conflict.

20. johnab

johnab Rookie

Aug 2, 2017

August hirings do happen. I just got mine yesterday. Some schools honestly just wait to the last minute. Others have last minute student overflow or retirements or medical leaves. If you see an interview offer for this late in the game, you know it will not be a long process, and that you are seriously being considered because they don't have time to dawdle.

Rainbowbird likes this.
  21. MichelleH

MichelleH Rookie

Aug 3, 2017

I got my job 3 days before school started. Another district called me to offer me a job 2 weeks AFTER school started.

But I just read your new post, so CONGRATS!!

futuremathsprof and Rainbowbird like this.