Check in/attendance

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by teacher36, Jul 14, 2008.

1. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Jul 14, 2008

I have a 1/2 day, Pre K class and would like them to "check in" when they arrive. This will help with name recognition and during circle time, I will have the children count how many children have checked in and how many are actually here and compare them. Does anyone have any ideas for check-in? I've seen names on frogs and when the child arrives, they place their frog on a lilly pad. I've also seen t-shirts with names that get hung up on a clothesline, and names on fishes that get placed in a fishbowl. Any other ideas?
    Thanks

3. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 14, 2008

:yawn:This sounds exhausting to me....I just have an attendance form that I fill in first thing in the morning, and my helper of the day puts "we missed you today" notes at the absentees seats, so I remember to send home anything important that they missed, or get well notes, etc.:unsure:

4. sunflower

sunflower Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

At the beginning of the year, I have them find their names that are written on index cards with their pictures. After Thanksgiving, I introduce their sign in folder. I've seen where teachers use a sign in sheet. Several kids names are on it. Last year, I had classes of 22. Time waiting for their available paper was to beneficial. It cause more problems then what is intended: encourage writing their names. So we use an individual folder. Inside is a folder with a chart that has two columns and 5 rows. On the left side is their printed name and the right side is blank. The five rows are for each day M-F. The kids sign their name once a day, then put their folders in a box. As they are writing, I walk around helping those in need. Some kids have mastered their name, so I give them "challange words." Vocabulary to go with the current theme or rhyming words. In May, I include both first and last names. It continues to challenge the kids that are already writting and still gives the kids who are making scribbling strokes practice. When the color printer is working, the names are color coded for each day. It matches a day chart I have. Red-Monday, Orange-Tuesday, Yellow-Wednesday, Green-Thursday, Blue-Friday. So we are also talking about the days and colors. Last year the printer went out, so we went to just black/white forms. The kids were in the habit of writting once per day it was an easy transfer. Hope this helps and not too much info.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 14, 2008

We too sign in-the children use the clip board and write their name in as their parents are filling out the state mandated entry paperwork. So there was already a time set aside and a way to manage flow. We are smaller-so that may have helped. We did get really good at writing. It really helped at journal time as well. They began adding the dates all by themselves.

6. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 15, 2008

For sign-in in the morning I have their name cards spread out on a table close to the door. When they come into the room they have to locate their name card and place it in their "pocket". I make the name cards on the computer using a "teacher print" font and then I print them on cardstock and laminate. It's so much quicker and easier for me than handwriting them on sentence strips, and they are smaller too which is good when you have a kid with a long name.

Here is a link to a picture where you can see the sign-in chart under the polar bear book (I tried to do insert picture and it didn't work :( ). I made the chart by gluing library pockets to a large sheet of poster board and laminating. You can open the pockets with an exacto knife. Each pocket has a small, round sticker on it that is unique to that particular child. For example, Jimmy is the lion, Tommy is the elephant etc. This helps them learn to recognize their names. Everywhere in the classroom that their name appears their special icon is next to it. I think this comes from High Scope training I did many years ago and it just stuck with me because it works so well.

Our new TX pre-k guidelines encourage us to use a daily graph for sign-in, such as "the question of the day" method. I like this method and think it is very appropriate and educational.

7. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

I may have to try some of these ideas. Right now I print each child's name on a desk nametag and laminate it (after I figure out who I want in groups together, I color code their names with color markers). I put the nametag on a table with some wake-up work each morning. Each child has to find "their name" and sit down to work then they go to the class library. When it's time to take attendance, I can look up and see what name tag has no child or still has "work" to do. Every day I rotate the name tags to the next table (center groups) in a different spot and they have to find their name again. I usually only have a handful of kids that can't find their names by the second week and the other kids help them!!

I wish I could make the symbol for each kid work. I have so many things I have to track for each child (and keep in alphabetical order) that I use a number. I hate using numbers for kids, but it saves me so much work. Child number 1, hangs her stuff on hook 1, sleeps on mat #1, has portfolio #1, cubbie #1, Nursery Rhyme folder #1, Thursday folder #1, emergency card #1, etc. (Everything has her name on it, but I can keep it straight and fast!) Oops, nevermind, I don't mean to hijack this thread.

8. happypreteach

happypreteach Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

I use "people" during orientation day, the children decorate a "person" using markers and crayons. Then i place a picture of their face and their name on the front and laminate it. When they come in they place their person on the magnet board. We use them for counting during our morning circle time.

9. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

How about having two columns of velcro strip. At the top of one column it can say "Good Bye", or "I'm going home now" then at the top of the other strip it would say somethinglike "Good Morning" or "I'm ready for school today". Students names could be on small index cards of some other small card stock item with velcro on the back. In the moring they move thier name to good morning, when they leave they move it to good bye. Those left on goobye in the morning are absent.

10. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

or you could do my above idea with 2 columns on a long pocket chart, as someone had previously said.

11. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

These are really great ideas, I appreciate all of the replies, especially the ones that require the children to write their names. I think I will start the year with them recognizing their names by placing some type of name card somewhere (I like the idea of the "pocket") and in a few months, switch to where they are writing their names to check in. Thanks again!!

12. teacherkerry

teacherkerry Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

As the children in my class arrive they have to wash their hands after hanging up coats etc. I cut out and laminated their handprints and wrote their names. The handprints are in a basket and they find their name and put it on the pocket chart on the wall outside the bathroom. Sometimes I have to do a general reminder to the class "has everyone found their hands yet" before we start out circle time.

13. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jul 17, 2008

I have seen lamanated pictures that students move from one clip line to another with the pictures on both sides. The picture is above there clip and they clip the moveable pic to there pic. That was used in Special ed and worked to help them recognize there face,

14. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jul 17, 2008

This is also in special ed. Another one is simular but during group/circle time the teacher starts out with a pic of any student or aide. Then she gives it to a student they look at the pic and find the student if they dont see the student they say the student is not here. If the student is absent they put the picture (that has velcro on it under a picture of a house on the chalkboard the chalkboard has velcro on it under that . There is another one with a picture of a school on it. If the student or aide is in school they have to find them and hand it to them. The student asks" who is in school?" the other child has to answer " I am in school". The nonverbal kids have a lamanated card with the 2 sentences on it and they are tought to point to the words and the teacher/aide reads it to them and says good job.

15. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

The first week of school I wrote the students' names on name tags and spread them out on a table near the entrance door. I took pictures of each student and made laminated cards with just the photos (approx. 4"x4') and put them in a clear pocket chart. I made name cards by printing large font names with the computer, cutting them out and gluing them to the top of a vertical 4"x6" index card. I also laminated these.Every day I put the word cards on the table and the students had to place the name behind the photo (so that it showed above the photo). Each day I mixed up the photos in the pocket charts as well as the order of names on the table. In the beginning of the year I put name cards that began alike together so that they could notice ways in which they were different.

I would pick up any remaining name cards and we would use them to see who was missing. By the end of the year one of the girls looked at her photo and remarked that the dress she had been wearing on the first day of school no longer fit her. Students took both photo and name cards home the last day of school.

16. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 19, 2008

My classroom is the Busy Bees--for attendance I have bees and a beehive. The ees have the child's name on it.

17. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 19, 2008

I see you live in New York. I don't know if you have an Ocean State JOb Lot nearby but they have a personell system (The name had Personell in it but I cant recall the exact name.) Anyways it came with space of 15 names (but was designed to snap two board together if you want 30 or 45 etc.) It comes with letters to spell out the names and each name has a slider to show if they are IN or OUT. It was really inexpensive, $4.

18. K3 teacher

K3 teacher Companion

Jul 19, 2008

We are the busy bees too. I use bees and a beehive and the title says: Who is in the hive today?

19. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 19, 2008

Last year I used a flower garden that I printed out from clip art as a poster size then cut out, and bees, and the sign read "who is buzzing through our garden today?"

20. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 20, 2008

Love this idea...thanks!:love:

21. Mommyof2xys

Mommyof2xys Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

I have used the frog on the lily pad as well. I had a pocket chart hanging up and a picture of a school on one side and a house on the other. The students had to move their star (Hollywood theme) from home to school each day that they came in. My program also likes for us to have a sign in area in our classroom.

In the middle of the year, I began to put little pieces of paper on each table and when they came in they would write their name on a slip and put it in the pocket chart under school.