Cheap Bulletin Board Decor

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ayotte04, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2007

I used wallpaper left over from my sons' room last year and it looked great. It was an all over design of bright colors so it worked really well. It tends to have a little more weight so it doesn't get wrinkled. I was concerned that because it was "prepasted" that it may be stuck to the wall at the end of the year but it removed easily.

2. hyperangel

hyperangel Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

I use fabric - it holds up as I change my boards and can be used from 1 year to the next. The bulletin board paper at the building is really cheap and I have found it rips easy and it fades so bad from the sun. The teacher I share my room with and I laughed at the end of the year when we took down our board and you could see outlines of everything she had up on the blue paper. lol

3. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2007

I get Christmas wrapping paper at the 75% off sales at the dollar stores, wal-mart, etc. right after Christmas. You can get pretty silver color, red/white stripes, etc. Things that don't necessarily have crazy Christmas designs on them and that could be used at all times of the year. I even got some that was blue with yellow stars (how is that Christmas wrap??)

4. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jul 15, 2007

Wow, how great. I just got so many ideas. i used to do all my preschool BB's w/ paper (supplied by school) but outrs never had time to fade, we hade to change them monthly (to keep w/ school theme)

I have a specific look I want for my room, b/c my school is very new and my class will only have 5-7 kids. I want my boards to be interactive and teaching so I think fabric will be the best.

Has anyone tried using velcro to attached peices so the kids can move them? Just curious what worked and what didn't!!!!

5. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

"Cutting Impaired"....HA!

6. hyperangel

hyperangel Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

Half the time I am tearing impaired with the big rolls! :D

7. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

oh me too. I can't tear worth crap!

8. hyperangel

hyperangel Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

trick I learned - take a pair of scissors with you, run the blade along where you want to cut (our rolls are on a big cart with a "blade" on one end of each so I run the scissors against the blade) this perforates (sp?) the paper just enough that I don't make as big of a mess lol. It works sometimes, the veteran teachers laugh at me though. :rolleyes: oh well

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 16, 2007

Ours are on that big rolling thing that has a tearing part for me. Then I have a heck of a time getting it down the hall without it wrinkling to bits before I arrive. Keep in mind I am an Aide so I do free. Then I use a box cutter (that I supplied myself) and after I actually staple it to the board where I want it, I run it across the border of the bulletin board lightly. Sometimes I even do without the border. I like some of those other ideas though. I'm not likely to do the fabric one because that's more money than I want to invest in it. I do spend money on the classroom even though I don't have any obligation to do so, but I like to spend it in the fun places!

10. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 16, 2007

Our school doesn't have great colors...they're faded. Last year I bought cheap yellow wrapping paper and laminated it. It looked great all year. I even laminate the long rolls of bb paper. It lasts all year.

11. hyperangel

hyperangel Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

totally did not think of laminating the paper hmmm:cool:

12. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

Teacherece, Do you get free laminating at your school?

13. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

ah...yes laminating it. Great point! and how long does that take? I mean....those are big pieces of paper we're talking about here

14. Carla

Carla Companion

Jul 17, 2007

I also have laminated my bb paper. I fold it in half and it laminates one side...I just cut it open. I like it because you can use tape on it and won't tear the paper when you take your display off. I had one up in the hallway all of this past year without corkboard underneath and it worked great!