Chatty Students :/

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by HorseLover, Oct 18, 2013.

1. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Oct 18, 2013

Any tips on how to deal with students who will not stop talking? Even if I am right next to them telling them to stop the continue to talk right in front of me! I feel like I am trying lots of different strategies (class dojo, positive reinforcement, explaining expectations, etc), but it is NOT working! :dizzy:

3. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Oct 19, 2013

I have the same issue. I have tables rather than desks. I keep asking the P for desks. It looks like I might get some, so I hope that will help. One thing that bugs me is one of my students has this sly smile whenever I remind her to stop talking or focus on her work. I'm trying not to let that bug me. My class responds well to the marble jar. When I put my hand in the jar and shake around the marbles, they'll stop talking. I've heard of dojo- I should look into that.

4. AlexaD

AlexaD Companion

Oct 19, 2013

I have several that are chatty. I really wanted to do the cooperative, table groups, but some just can't handle it. Currently, several are by themselves, and others are in groups.

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Oct 19, 2013

Talking can be quite a challenge. Here is something to consider.

If you have it as a rule in your classroom, and the students are not following the rule, then there should be a consequence when it is broken. A warning can be first, but I would suggest that only once. It isn't nearly as important as what consequences you use as you use them consistently. Give a chance for the consequences to work. The students might rebel a bit the first week. Within 3 weeks, hopefully it will be better.

Also, I have found classical music in the background helps to reduce talking some.