Chatty Class

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Love to Teach, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Aug 2, 2010

I have a great class coming in, but word is they like to talk...a lot! :) I love to have my desks in pods because we do alot of collaboration activities and it opens up the room so much, but I do struggle with the talking. I would so love any advice or suggestions of how to head off the excessive talking right from the start. Thanks! :)

3. cutelilram

cutelilram Rookie

Aug 3, 2010

Here is a suggestion that I have tried with success for both third grade and fourth grade:

I give each table a name, our tables have to be set up in groups too. I then write each table name on the board and draw lines to make it a tally mark chart.

The students know the rules for the class and that there are times when talking is fine and when it is not fine. You can have a discussion about this at the beginning of the year.

Whenever a table is behaving, they get a tally mark. If all of the tables are behaving, they all get a tally mark.

Now, I don't believe in taking away reward points as punishment because that table rightfully, at one time, earned them for good behavior. Taking points away to me says that what you did correctly before doesn't matter anymore because you are behaving poorly now.

So what I do instead is if a table talks when there is no talking, I give a point to every other table that is following directions. Essentially, they are giving away points without actually losing any points they earned. So there is a fairness to it and it's more like you are recognizing the students who are behaving properly and rewarding them for that. This really gets their attention and it gives them an opportunity to correct their behavior. Many times I don't even have to say anything to them.

At the end of the week, whichever table has the most points wins. The reward to the table winner is the chance for them to choose their class jobs first the following Monday (this is huge for the kids) and a no homework pass that allows them to skip one subject for one night.

4. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2010

i had a chatty class, so i put that to work for me. every chance i got, i had them share ideas and answers...lots of collaborating

5. MissKH81

MissKH81 Rookie

Aug 3, 2010

Do they have to be in tables of 4? I do a ton of cooperative learning groups, but I hate tables. I feel as though tables invite more talking when they are facing each other like that all day long.
    I have mine sit in pairs, and then just have them move into groups when it comes time to collaborate. It takes my 3rd/4th graders about 10 seconds to move. Having them sit in twos instead of fours may take away some talking.

6. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 3, 2010

I agree with this. If you already know your class talks a lot, you don't need to dangle the temptation in front of them by seating them so they face each other. That's like seating a gambling addict at a blackjack table with a $100 bill and telling them not to play!

If you seat the pairs in front of each other, all they have to do is turn around to the pair in back of them to make a group of four when it's time to collaborate.