Character Counts: Caring

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

Nov 30, 2017

Today, I was talking about caring to my 1st period class (8th grade). I had put up Christmas lights all around my room and told them it was my 1st year decorating my room. I asked students if they could figure out why I would put lights up. Some said they look nice or because I just wanted to. When I got to explaining why I put them up, I told them about an article I read stating that there are some students who don't have Christmas lights and/or a tree at home and they walk into a dark home. As I was saying that, my eyes started watering, began to cry, and left the room to compose myself. When I came back, I told them that I wanted to be a light in someone's life. Then I asked if any of my students ever saw their teacher cry and they only listed female elementary ones. I definitely won't apologize for being who I am. I hope that I didn't freak anyone out or scare someone by crying in front of class. Especially being a male high school teacher!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 30, 2017

I can only think that it could have a positive effect, especially for those kids who only know overly-macho types of males. There can never be too much caring.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Dec 1, 2017

I think that caring is fantastic, and many students will appreciate and connect. However, any teacher crying in front of a class will freak out some students, and if it is a male teacher, it will possibly get more of a reaction. I am not criticizing, simply answering your question. The fact that your students correlated the tears only to female teachers in their experience kind of tells the tale.

5. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

Dec 2, 2017

I figured that it would. It wasn't my intent though. It's just the topic of caring and relating to what I displayed and how other children go home to darkness during the holiday season just resulted in an emotional reaction. I'm sure some of them wondered what was the matter with me. But that's ok. I'd rather the crying happened because of this instead of what also causes teachers to meltdown. Examples include crappy bosses, students, other colleagues, parents, and family....

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Dec 2, 2017

I was simply responding to: I hope that I didn't freak anyone out or scare someone by crying in front of class.

7. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

Dec 2, 2017

I know you were. I just hope no one went home that night and told their parents that I'm a freak. ;)

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Dec 2, 2017

Would you find it comforting to know that if they did, you won't have to wait long to hear about it? Not too concerned about that as a possibility, but parents never wait long to touch base with admin if they are truly concerned.

9. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

Dec 3, 2017

I don't have to worry about that. Rumor has it the former teacher here spent most of her time on her cell phone complaining to and yelling at her boyfriend and then crying from the drama... Kids complained to parents and the P knew.... so the students have seen crying before.... just a totally different matter. ;)

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Dec 3, 2017

So as long as there is no cursing or pulling hair out, you are golden.

11. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

Dec 4, 2017

Sounds like that comes from experience?

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 5, 2017

:eek::eek::eek: