Changing diapers?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by microbe, Jan 19, 2013.

1. microbe

microbe Comrade

Jan 19, 2013

So I was really curious if I'd be expected to change diapers depending on the special ed. jobs I accept. The sub coordinator told us that it was something that we would be expected to assist with, and since then I've been wary about accepting special ed. jobs.

I just don't feel like it's appropriate for a stranger (me) to change a student's diaper. That, and I'm really not paid enough to be changing diapers ($80 a day).

Sorry if my question is a bit offensive, I would just like to get into special ed. more without being made incredibly uncomfortable.

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 19, 2013

I TOTALLY understand your concern. I would NOT want to change diapers, no way. I don't have advice though, I have only subbed once in a severely handicapped classroom. It was one of the best days, and very easy. I had 3-4 aides, and they took care of things, all I had to do was 'teach'. I really don't remember any of them changing diapers, but I assume if they had to, they would have done it, and not expected me to do it.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 19, 2013

It seems to me many students would not like a stranger doing it either. Hopefully the assistant would take the lead. Many students with severe needs are very particular and need routine. Just not having the regular teacher present could be upsetting.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2013

I would not want to change diapers either. I think that in some places anyone who changes student diapers needs to be specially trained and possibly certified for that. I think that may be the case in my district, but I'm not sure.

I might still accept sub jobs, but I would be assertive when it came to changing diapers and say that it's not something I'm comfortable doing. I think that's fair.

6. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Jan 19, 2013

I've subbed for Life Skills where some students wear diapers and some have to be taken to the bathroom and helped. The aides handled these tasks and I was not expected to assist.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2013

God bless the teachers and aides who change diapers, and spoon feed kids, and clean trach tubes and complete a variety of other private and personal kinds of duties. It takes a very special person.
    one would expect that such duties would be delineated in a sub request so that you could make an informed decision whether to accept or not.

8. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Jan 19, 2013

I subbed before I started teaching full-time, and only once or twice in a severely handicapped room. I do clearly remember the aid changing students' diapers while I was in there. I was not expected to assist. I was expected to continue working with the other kids.

9. MrsPoppy

MrsPoppy Rookie

Jan 23, 2013

If your district uses Aesop, it should specify this in the notes about the assignment. I've only seen assignments at one school that have this as part of the job, and that particular school pays $11 more per day than the rest of the district (specifically because of this). I've never shown up for a spec.ed. assignment where it didn't specify this and had to do it. Of course, my experiences might not be representative of everyone's, but I haven't worried about it.