Change Number 7852974... No More Movie Theme This Year ;)

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by mom2mikey, Aug 15, 2010.

1. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 15, 2010

I will get this together yet. I ordered Unique's transition band this year thinking that it would give me some great ideas for classroom set and up and what not. I love it!

Anyway... they have just recently made some modifications to the program and now have monthly themes! I'm going to use these as my monthly themes instead of the movies as there is so much that is ready to go and I know I'm going to be overwhelmed with just the changes to individual programming that I'm making.

So the movie theme is on hold and here are my new themese for the year:

September: Personal Health Care
    Octobrer: Housekeeping Chores
    November: Telephone Talk (may have to make some modifications here due to the number of non-verbal students I have)
    January: Self Advocacy
    February: Dressing for Success
    March: Home Safety
    April: Personal Safety
    May: Future Living Options

I'm sure we will be able to "fill in the holes" or expand other topics to fill up December and June :).

I'm so excited about this change to Unique transition band!

3. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Aug 15, 2010

I am planning on doing monthly themes like that as well. I think they are very functional and I am hoping I can get materials that we can use for all of the themes. I am going to start in September, since I am so freaking far behind in planning right now. At least I can get caught up and see how my room is running for a bit before jumping into the themes.

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2010

I love those themes, Mom2Mikey!

I am doing something similar, but will also have the ULS themes for middle school!

I wrote my own curriculum for my classroom (basically the topics and skills I want my kids to have when they graduate from my program) and there are a lot of life skill topics (like those you mentioned, actually!)

I will be doing some tacting and intraverbals with various vocabulary words associated to different areas. Our first focus for Sept/Oct will be restaurant/kitchen words.

I think I posted some flash cards that I made. But, the "big" themes will be the ULS themes.

5. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Aug 15, 2010

I wish I was able to get the ULS, but they won't pay for it. I can get the News 2 You, but not that. I am kind of jealous now! I want to see what is all about.

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2010

SammyRams, I am getting ULS Middle School - I will let you know if it is all it's cracked up to be!!!!

I am VERY excited for it. It's JUST what I need because it meets all of the needs of the various ranges of abilities in my class. I can challenge my high kids without leaving my low kids out. So far, I love it (with the summer preview trial). Will get the real deal in Sept.

7. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 16, 2010

I was all set to get started with ULS and then when I checked my mail, there was an invoice from them. So they haven't even been PAID yet. GRRR. So I may have to use the free summer beach unit until it gets squared away.

sk - we will totally have to compare notes, girl!! :)

8. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2010

:cool: Oh yes, we will !