Cell phone policy?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Jul 21, 2017.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2017

So sorry, Linguist.

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 11, 2017

So sorry to hear your father has died, Linguist. There's no good age at which to lose a dad.

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 11, 2017

Thank you everyone. Not to highjack the thread, just a quick comment. I was recently in Hungary for 3 weeks and came back on July 8. He has been ill for many years and we knew this would happen sometime. So at least I got to spend some time with him and said good bye. He passed away 3 weeks later, on August 1st :(

4. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Aug 11, 2017

It's just another addiction in society, unfortunately magnified even worse by our students. Not just our students, but in general areas. The other day I was at the filling station and the clerk finished texting before ringing me up. It's area wide and in part of society now.
    In our school, we went from no phone to teacher discretion. We tried last year to implement a no cell phone policy for all students in all classes and it didn't work very well. It just put more stress and strain on teachers to police it. Even when phones were taken away, and or reprimands were given, students would continue to take phones out. It was like I was becoming paranoid to see a phone out, rather than enjoying my lectures. Other staff, including me were worried about taking phones away, and trouble with liability. A teacher took a student's phone last year and the student said that he damaged it which was found to be untrue. However, it was put on the teacher to pay for it (even though the district ended up paying). How can it be proved if a phone's glass cover was cracked before the teacher took it? This year, it's teacher discretion on whether on not and when phones can be used thank goodness. If schools want no phone or electronic use, it needs to be way more strict. Like first time the phone is seen is a warning, second time, suspended for a week, third time, expelled. Phones then should not be seen period and kept in lockers or in the car. Because it seems like "taking them" can cause more trouble. My rules or other teacher's rules I have observed seem to be a failure. I do however, have a rule if they are out and used during a test, it's an automatic zero. I also state in my syllabus that a student is responsible for all material while I'm lecturing. If they are sick or gone, they can meet with me to make things up. So if they use a phone while I'm during a small lecture (usually not more than 20 min) they have to make up material lost and they loose points for the day.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  5. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Aug 11, 2017

I am so sorry:( I hope that you and your family are doing well. This isn't fun. I had to deal with a death in the family this summer as well.

6. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Aug 11, 2017

Just like Pi-R-Squared, it seemed to work out great for the first month or so last year, then throughout the year it gradually went downhill. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas and by the time between April and May, it seemed as though as if I turned my back for a second, half the class was using their phones. It's terrible and a major problem that us teachers have to deal with. It makes me think at times as a teacher I have failed to implement this rule. However, our schools new policy this year, I just found out today, allows us discretion when students can use phones. We will see how that goes. Hopefully good!

7. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Habitué

Aug 12, 2017 at 2:23 PM

The main issue is that anyone to everyone would rather distract themselves with a cell phone instead of paying attention. Right now, my TV is on yet I'm replying to a post!! In order for me to have all my students appear to listen, there just has to be no cell phone use during class time. But school policy allows them to carry so I have to enforce my rules. We'll see what the future entails!

MathGuy82 likes this.