Caught Being Good....

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by brodie, Jul 29, 2005.

1. brodie

brodie New Member

Jul 29, 2005

Hello everyone! i was wondering if anyone uses "Caught Being Good" in their classroom and if you could tell me exactly how it works. i know many teachers do it differently and i would like to know different versions. does anyone else use any other kind of positive behavior system?

3. Jake's Mom

Jake's Mom Rookie

Jul 29, 2005

I've used "Caught Being Good" for several years, and I've had much success with it. I use "Caught Being Good" (CBG) clothespins. When I observe my students doing anything appropriate, outstanding, modeling correctly, etc., I give them a clothespin with CBG written on it, and they clip it onto their clothing. Believe it or not, I've never had any problems with them misusing the clothespins. :D At the end of the day, they get a classroom dollar for each pin. On Fridays, I allow them to spend their money. A piece of candy is 2 "dollars", a special pencil is 5 "dollars", game time on the computer is 10 "dollars", free time is 15 "dollars", and a Homework Pass is 20 "dollars". I teach fifth grade, and sadly one of the only teachers in the building that uses any type of positive reinforcement, the upcoming fifth graders really look forward to the "priviledge" of earning CBG pins! ;)

4. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 29, 2005

At oriental trading company they have caught being good pencils and stickers.

5. j9saylor

j9saylor Rookie

Jul 29, 2005

I've been using Caught you doing something good in third grade for 3 years now. The kids love it! I give them out during the day whenever I spot someone following the rules, helping someone else, etc. I have fish bowls in my room that have fish slips on them that say Caught you doing something good. The kids collect their slips and earn prizes in class- switching desks, candy, pencils, erasers, etc. Oriental Trading also has coins that say Caught you Doing Something Good and they are very reasonably priced.

6. canada friend

canada friend Rookie

Jul 29, 2005

We do a "Gotcha" throughout the school. The kids get "gotcha's" for doing something positive, they fill out the form and put it in a box (in their house colour) by the office. A name from each colour is drawn on fri. and they receive a prize. Works well even for the intermediates.

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 29, 2005

I use one that I got off here a year or so back called BUGs (Being unusually good). I bought 50 insect rings at Dollar tree ($5 total). Then I made a capture stick. (A dowel screwed into a round plaque from Hobby Lobby, painted purple with neon green splotches). The bugs are in a goldfish bowl. As I see or get a compliment on the class doing something exceptionally great (lining up w/no talking if that has been a problem, everyone doing homework, etc) they get a bug. It's not for every time they do something, but for when they do it extra good. If they capture all the bugs before the end of the year they get a movie/popcorn/milkshake/etc party. My kids this past year made it, the group before captured 8 bugs. It's all in the kids! :)

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2005

We used it schoolwide last year for drawings. I am unsure about this year. Sometimes I found it to be excellent, and at other times I would not remember to fill out the sheets.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2005

That's neat! I do not know many teachers who use positive reinforcement strategies like those in the intermediate grades.

10. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 30, 2005

I'm thinking about how I want to implement Caught Being Good in my future classroom...

I am doing a garden/bee theme, and I found these character building posters from Frog Street Press that say things like Bee Kind, Bee Respectful, Bee Honest, etc. It also came with a reproducible award that says "______ was caught being _____!" that the student could fill out on their own. I was thinking about displaying the posters on a bulletin board, along with bee cut outs that I found at the Dollar Tree and a bug catcher. Student who are "caught being good" can "catch" a bug, write their name on it, and put it in the bug catcher.

I'm not exactly sure how it will work but that's my idea thus far...

11. Jake's Mom

Jake's Mom Rookie

Jul 30, 2005

Thanks, I think one of the reasons it works so well with my fifth graders is that very few of the teachers in our school use any type of positive reinforcement. Also, I teach at a high-risk school, so many of our kids never have anyone to focus on the positives in their lives, they enjoy the recognition. :angel:

12. teachoh

teachoh Rookie

Jul 30, 2005

consequences?

I love the idea of focusing on the positive. What do you do when there is misbehavior?

13. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 30, 2005

Miss Kirby:

Just thought I'd mention, when I used the "bee" theme, I had a sign that said "Good "Bee-"havior Counts!"

14. Newto2ndGrade

Newto2ndGrade Rookie

Jul 30, 2005

I had a class bean jar. When children were following our class guidelines, were complimented by another staff memeber, showed good citizenship, etc. I would let them put a bean in the jar. Sometimes it was for an individual or a class accomplishment. Once we filled the jar we had a beans in the jar party for the class. This might be an extra recess, free time, popcorn and games, etc. They would vote. Some days we would get a lot of beans in the jar and other days not so many but everyone worked together for the reward. Then I'd empty the jar and we would start over. No beans ever came out once they were awarded. Usually, the jar would fill up 2-4 times a year. Sometimes when they were super good I would throw in a handful. They would love that!

15. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Jul 30, 2005

For those that like the Bee theme, my neice's kindergarten teacher gave out "Busy Bees" when the kids were caught being good. Which was bee notepad paper with their name on it. The bee was put into a box and at the end of the day she would pick three names out of the box for a prize.

At our school we give "Braggin' Dragons" as we are the DeLong Dragons. :) The names get put into a big bin and get picked once a month for "Pizza with the Principal." The kids love it.

16. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 30, 2005

teacher62604-thanks, that's a cute Idea! I was thinking about just using "Caught Bee-ing Good!"

As for consequences.. I'm curious as well. I know caught being good is just based on praising students with good behavior, so I don't want to have any consequences related to that. I also think I will be using Fred Jones' PAT, for whole class classroom management. I was also thinking about using some kind of behavior folders where the students and I would both record their behavior (happy face, straight face, sad face) at the end of each day. I'm not sure... any other ideas would be great =)

17. kjnewman

kjnewman Rookie

Jul 30, 2005

I use it also, It is a great program. I have crayons that I cut from tagboard in the ellison machine and when I walk around during worktime I hand them out as well as in the hall. The kids always remind me to bring my crayons! They also give me crayons when they are breaking an established rule in the class. For older grades I found that your students will appreciate a kind word of support on a sticky note. Something like "I love your drawing" or "Your are really working hard". The more personalized the better. I would carry a pad of mini sticky notes and a pen and constantly leave notes on their desk. THey would share them and beam at the encouraging statements. I prefer non-monitary rewards and I think this works much better. Hope this helps.

18. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 30, 2005

Oh I love that idea. I would definitely do that, even for second grade. =)

19. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 30, 2005

Caught Being Good

HI, I'm new here. I teach 5-8 English and Religion. Last year the 5-8 grade teachers all used this system. Whenever we felt it was deserved, we filled out a card with a description of the good action and it was posted on a board in the classroom. Then the student's name went in a drawing for the end of the week. I took it a step further and sent a copy home to the parents when they received one at school so they would be sure to know about it. At the beginning of the year, I also sent a sheet of BLANK caught being good cards home for the parents to use at home. This let the student's know we were all working together. WHenever a student got one at home, they sent it to school, it was put on the board and their name went into the drawing. I will be teaching the same grades and classes again and will probably use it again.

20. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 30, 2005

We do a schoolwide system like this. Our school "mascot" is the SuperStars. We give out SuperStar tickets anytime a student is caught being responsible, respectful, or helpful. Any adult can hand them out througout the day. At the end of the day, all the tickets go to the office. Two students from each grade are drawn out of all the tickets. They are recognized over the intercom and given a "treat" in the office. Sometimes the treat is candy, pencils, or something special. Last year Wal-Mart donated lots of discontinued items to us. I think we have a few left over.

21. Jake's Mom

Jake's Mom Rookie

Jul 30, 2005

On the flip side, I have a chart divided into 10 minute segments. Each child has a clothespin with his/her name on it and it is placed at the part that reads: "We Had a Great Day!". When a student misbehaves, he/she places the pin at 10 minutes and that time is lost during special privileges. The final position is "A note or call home", and I've done that several times. Also, our county has a positive reward system where the students receive a "gold" pin every six weeks. According to the number of pins earned throughout the year (6 is the most) a "gold", "silver", or "bronze" medal is awarded. Consistent misbehavior results in not receiving the pin at the end of the six weeks. :)