Categorical (Self Contained) Vs. Resource Room

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by Mavs3982, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Mavs3982

Mavs3982 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

Has anyone here had a self contained or categorical classroom? how is it different than a resource room?

3. shwal

shwal Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

Hi
    Where I teach a self-contained setting is one in which the students receive most of their classes one special education teacher, who is certified in their area of disability. The students may span two or three grade levels. They may go out for special area classes or some academics but spend most of the day in that teacher's room. In a resource setting, the teacher sees many students from different classes and grade levels throughout the day for just one or two periods each, sometimes in her classroom, but more often in general ed. inclusion classes. With the increased demand for inclusion, there are very few true self-contained classrooms left here, mostly just in the areas of Profoundly/Severely Intellectually Delayed, Preschool Special Ed and a few Austistic classes.

4. AMP

AMP Rookie

Aug 24, 2006

Hello. I just finished my first year of teaching in a self-contained classroom. The students were with me almost the entire day. Students went to reg. ed with para support for 30 minutes to an hour. Now I am teaching in a resource position. Students are with me only 45 minutes a day and then are in the reg. classroom. I go into the regular classroom and provide support there most of the time. Self-Contained classrooms usually have students with more severe disabilities. Resource room students usually just have mild disabilities.