Casual Friday?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by amethyst, Jan 31, 2006.

1. amethyst

amethyst Companion

Jan 31, 2006

If your school has casual Fridays or dress-down days, do you participate in them? I started my (p/t) student teaching on Thursday and no one told me Fridays were "jeans days," so obviously I didn't wear them. Every other person in the school had jeans on though (there are no other student teachers in the school yet).

I kind of feel weird wearing jeans there since right now I am only there 2x a week and I want to seen as a professional both by the staff and the students, but on the other hand, I feel a little weird when everyone else is wearing jeans and I'm not.

I know this seems kind of trivial, but this is just one of the many things I'm concerned about at this point.

Also, since the teacher never told me I should wear jeans on Friday (and she really has been pretty good about keeping me informed about lots of other things), I'm thinkiing that she things I shouldn't wear them..but maybe I'm just over thinking it. ;)

WDYT?

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 31, 2006

During my student teaching (full time) the school had "jean day" on Fridays. I was there from January-May and didn't participate once. I just felt funny about it. There were other student teachers who did participate, though, and that's fine, but I just felt like as a student teacher trying to prove myself I wanted to look as professional as I could at all times. Since you're only there 2 times a week, I probably wouldn't wear jeans on Fridays, but that's just me. :)
    The school where I'm working as a long-term sub also has jean day on Fridays. I still felt a little funny about it and didn't participate for the first 2 or 3 Fridays I was here (back in November). I do wear jeans every Friday now, though.

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jan 31, 2006

I probably wouldn't wear jeans. If I did they would be the fancy ones with a matching jacket. And sometimes wear a nice sport jacket. It would cost extra money for me to dress down. I've taught for eight years and I have never worn blue jeans or tight short skirts or low cut blouses. I wear lots of dress pant outfits. Pant outfits are my favorite.

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 31, 2006

I always made a point not to wear jeans on jean days when I was student teaching. I wanted to look professional at all times. I just didn't feel comfortable doing it. One of my cooperating teachers finally told me that if I did not wear jeans on Rodeo Day (our entire grade went to the rodeo grounds, and the high school FFA set up a little rodeo for us), she was sending me home to change. I did wear jeans that day.
    I wouldn't wear jeans the first semester after I was hired. I finally chilled out and realized I could become more casual in what I wore to teach in. Every Friday is (unofficially) jean day. You can wear your school t-shirt with it, or anything else that looks nice. We also wear jeans on Character Assembly days.
    Maybe you could wear a nice pair of kackies (sp?) and a nice shirt. Make sure you feel comfortable in what ever you wear.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2006

At our school we make a charitable donation (about $2.00/week) as the "cost" of participating in dress-down Fridays. We were able to make a sizeable staff donation to a new cancer centre being built here this past fall. My student teacher sometimes wore jeans on Fridays, but always with a dressy jacket and nice shoes or boots...always looked professional.

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 31, 2006

I would ask the teacher! If you are comfortable with her, ask her what she thinks, or what other s.t. have done in the past. But, if you are feeling like you shouldn't do it, go with your instinct.....it usually is right! :)

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 31, 2006

I guess it really matters what area you live in.

9. LycoManda

LycoManda Rookie

Jan 31, 2006

I am student teaching now and I wear jeans on jean day because my co-op told me that she encouraged it to support the school.

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 31, 2006

Is jean day every Friday? Or is it the last Friday in the month?
    Usually it costs a dollar to wear jeans at least that has been my experience.
    I would either talk to the teacher or the principal to see how the felt.
    If you do decide to wear jeans, just make sure you wear nice jeans that if bend over your fanny doesn't hang out, or your underwear.

11. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2006

I think it totally depends on your school! When I did my practicum I was told to be professional...so I was dressed each week observed....looking back, I was the ONLY teacher ever in something other than jeans ( some were in pj bottoms and sweatshirts!!)

Now, in my lasts school I was acutally repremanded for wearing jeans....other teachers wore low cut bra showing shirts and that was okay ,but I was told that jeans were not okay (this in the middle of my thrid year teaching after many days of wearing jeans...dont get me started!)

The school I am in now is a great district, and while others wear jeans I am a leave replacement, and really would like to be asked back next year so I have no worn jeans ....I doubt it would make a big difference, but you never know!

Bottom line, do what you are comfy with....look neat and put together......good luck! :)

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 31, 2006

Just wondering does the Principal wear jeans on jean day?

13. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 31, 2006

At the school where I am it is every Friday. The principal doesn't wear jeans, but literally every other adult in the building does.

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 31, 2006

I don't think mine does either. Our jean day is every Friday. I do think it is more fun to have it the last Friday of every month. It seems more of a treat that way. And the principal at that school wore jeans with us. I think it was because it was only once a month.

15. gymnastNteach

gymnastNteach Rookie

Jan 31, 2006

when i was student teaching we had a few jeans days, but we would donate, say, 5 dollars to a charity in order to wear the jeans. i would always participate because it was in the spirit of the school, and my cooperating teacher encouraged it :) also, the principal and vice principal would wear jeans as well.

16. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jan 31, 2006

Our jeans day is every Friday and like others have said here, it 'costs' a donation ($2.00 a week) that goes to chartiable causes. Everyone participates, including our principal and vice principals. Where I had my first practicum, it was a country school and teachers wore jeans everyday. It was basically very laid back, anything goes. It does really depend on the school.

17. maw52897

maw52897 New Member

Jan 31, 2006

During my student teaching my cooperating teacher said it was okay if I wore jeans on friday. However, my university supervisor was against it. She told us that while we were in the building everyday and teaching that we were still guests in the building and should dress professionally. So I never wore jeans but I would guess it would depend on the people that you have to report to and how they feel about it.

18. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 31, 2006

I wore jeans as a student teacher, and I still do. I'm actually usually dressed up more on Jean day than I am on regular days, though. I always wear a nice shirt with them. Ask the teacher and go with what makes you comfortable.

19. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Feb 1, 2006

we have a friday 'spirit' shirt we all wear. I DONT wear jeans to school, even on a dress down day. I personally think of it as play clothes and not work clothes but that is just because I have worked in schools requiring the teachers to wear uniforms etc...

On the days for dress down or casual friday, I think if you have a shirt with a teacher theme on it, you could wear it and maybe look forward to getting to wear it. You could also start a small collection of teacherish shirts. (the kind with school bus or school building on it)

20. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 1, 2006

It never came up with my college supervisor, but she probably would have been against it too. I think that may be part of the reason why I didn't wear them during student teaching.

21. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 1, 2006

That's one of the reasons I didn't wear them during my student teaching as well. Our professors were always in one of the schools everyday, so there was always a possiblity for them to observe you. That's what happens when the college and cooperating schools are in the same town. It's a great relationship between the two though.