Casey Anthony Trial

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teach'em, Jun 7, 2011.

1. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 6, 2011

I'm an uninformed American. I'm not ashamed of it and I think it's a harsh reality of my generation.

I didn't know anything about the drug cartel situation until Czacza mentioned it. In fact, unless it's in the Chicago Tribune, on the front page of MSN.com, my husband tells me, or makes it way onto my trash blog sites... I don't know about it.

2. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2011

Czacza (or others), do you think TV coverage is heavier than online and print coverage? I've only really noticed the coverage become inescapable within the past couple of weeks; before that it has been something you have to click through to find, or just a few links somewhere on the main news sites.

It is interesting to consider what makes a case big news over others. I think the changing stories made this much more compelling. There is a lot to say about all parties involved.

During the trial itself, there was also a lot of coverage over new, not-court-proven forensic techniques that was also very interesting. I wonder how this verdict will impact the use of hair and scent tests in the future?

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2011

I consider myself well-informed, but even so, I have to admit that there are weeks or months when I know a LOT more about what TMZ is covering than the WSJ or NYT.

Sometimes the news is just DEPRESSING. With lots of wars going on, violence around the world, cascading economic depressions worldwide, politics as usual, blah blah, I would just rather go read about what some random celebrity wore to some random movie premiere.

This mindset could play into the popularity of cases like this one too--its sort of news so people can follow it and feel that they are getting news without reading about natural disasters, Darfur, or increasing homeless populations.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2011

There was talk today about shows like CSI and how it may set up jurors to think that all cases are like those on crime shows. The simple fact is that many cases are circumstantial...this one just wasn't as tight as it should have been to eliminate doubt...Also thoughts from some that had the prosecution waited longer to file the case there would have been a 'slip up' made sooner or later by one of the parties that would have tied up the loose ends better.

As far as the 'not proven' forensics...you gotta figure all new techniques have to start somewhere. So while some of those forensics were new for this case, the research on such techniques continues and fine tuning/improvement in their validity will follow. Interesting though, right?

5. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 6, 2011

:agreed:

Not everything is as clear cut as our great, super smart, super nerdy, asian forensics guy was able to work 10+ hours on this one body and find the one shread of evidence that couldn't be found before to link the body to it's killer! dun dun dun

However, I also hoped that if I got jury duty it would play out exactly like Runaway Jury. :blush: :whistle:

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2011

Oh certainly. What I meant was that it made discussing them more interesting than otherwise.

I am curious to see what will happen the next time these techniques are introduced in a courtroom.

I follow forensic geology quite a bit; some of those techniques are not so much new as they are not used as often as they could be because most police departments don't have the capability without using outside experts. The field is definitely gaining a lot of (sorry) ground.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2011

Juror is on ABC right now, just FYI.

Oh, there is so much I want to discuss about not only this case but the whole freaking system...

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 7, 2011

They said this morning the owner of Equusearch (I know I probably spelled that wrong)-they use horses to help search for missing kids-is considering suing her. In that one month they had 4200 volunteers and it cost his non-profit 40% of what it takes in yearly, about 112,000. I think he'd have a good case considering she was found guilty on lying about her being missing. I hope he goes through with it.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 7, 2011

Oh, I didn't hear that. I bet they'd have a good case, too. The judge kind of harped on the cost to the police department due to her lies.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2011

I wonder how much she'll end up having to pay. How many lies did she tell? How much money was spent on a search for her daughter, who she knew (by her own admittance) wasn't even alive?

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 7, 2011

So when is the sentencing? I don't have my tv on.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2011

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jul/07/casey-anthony-freed-next-week

A Florida judge has sentenced Casey Anthony, the young mother cleared of murdering her two-year-old child, to the maximum four years in prison for lying to police about the circumstances of her daughter's death.

But Anthony, 25, who appeared relaxed, laughing and winking in court, will be freed from jail next Wednesday because of the time she has already served while awaiting trial.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2011

Well, that's going to be awkward homecoming, since she hasn't spoken with her parents since 2008. I heard that she might go stay with in aunt in Texas.

14. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 7, 2011

In Houston. :rolleyes:

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2011

Are you serious??

16. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 7, 2011

I haven't been watching this morning, but if she's put on probation, she won't be able to leave. I think the probation is from her felony check stealing charges. Remember, she stole over 100 hundred checks from her parents and she was convicted of those charges I think

17. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2011

I do wish she had been found guilty of at least child neglect, certainly one's child should not turn up dead and wrapped in a trash bag after a mysterious "accident".

On another note, I am glad that forensic evidence is becoming an important factor in finding guilt or innocence. Thankfully, we have organizations like the Innocence Project which have gotten people out of jail who were wrongly convicted on circumstantial evidence mixed with prejudice (race, poverty, false accusations, etc).

18. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2011

Probation or not, if they determine that she would not be safe in Florida, they would make arrangements with authorities elsewhere to coordinate relocation.

19. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 7, 2011

Apparently Casey Anthony wants to write a book giving insight about love, life and most importantly god.

Seriously?

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2011

I am really surprised that they didn't at least find her guilty for child neglect. How do you not report a fatal accident, for your daughter nonetheless, for 30 days?

As for your statement about a child showing up dead, wrapped in a trash bag after an "accident", no that should never happen, and even less with duct tape around his/her mouth and covering his/her nose. But, I suppose "accidents" like that happen... Hmmm...