Casey Anthony Trial

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teach'em, Jun 7, 2011.

1. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 6, 2011

I honestly can't believe that there's this much of an argument about leaving a porchlight on.

Let those who want to turn their porchlight on alone. Seriously, it doesn't affect you in any way for there to be such an argument about it. For some, that is all they can do or are willing to do so its a positive thing. Not everyone can donate their time, money, and energy towards a specific cause. Not everyone would even know where to begin. Some realize or believe that these issues are too large or uncontrollable to truly make a difference. There is nothing wrong with remembering and being upset about this one case. In fact, at least people have enough decency to recognize that the death of this girl is tragic and the entire situation is tragic and unbelievable.

By the way, if you're going to argue about the porch light not being productive then please explain to me how posting on this thread and continuing this specific argument is productive? This really isn't that much better or productive than tweeting or facebooking that your porchlight is on. :2cents:

2. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 6, 2011

I think that this case received so much media attention for two reasons-

1) Casey Anthony was young, white, and attractive. She didn't look like she was capable. She didn't look like this would have happened to her. However, the more that came out the more people were shocked by what a monster she is and how un-motherly she was.

2) Most cases of child abuse or murder have more evidence to the case- DNA, witnesses, confessions, stupidity. I read stories almost weekly about mothers/parents/people who kill their children however its always confirmed within the same week if not day that the mother, father, or whoever did it. Most are passionate crimes where evidence was left behind.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2011

I'm very bothered by our discussion here and some of the holier-than-thou attitudes being shared repeatedly. Some are assuming far too much about the private decisions others make in regards to charitable or otherwise socially beneficial actions (more specfically the assumed lack thereof). It's disappointing that some are scoffing at the reactions people have had to the verdict, such as those who chose to turn their porch lights on, and giving directions to react in a different and apparently better, more productive way. Again, as though it's either/or. Turning a porch light on doesn't exactly drain most people of their week's supply of give-a-darn. I know at least I'm perfectly capable and eager to do more, and I do.

I know we have a smilie for beating a dead horse, but I wish we had one illustrating coming down off your high horse... :(

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 6, 2011

:thumb:

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 6, 2011

:clap: :agreed: well said JustMe

6. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 6, 2011

7. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2011

Am I the only one who lives in a neighborhood where most people turn their porch light on (assuming it isnt automatic like ours is) in the evenings?

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 6, 2011

I was thinking the same thing. Ours stays on anyway, as do most of our neighbors.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2011

My husband would freak—conserve energy, conserve energy! :)

10. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2011

Many of us have lights that store solar energy during the day. We also live in heavy wooded area and don't really like it being pitch black outside our door.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2011

The solar lights would certainly be a great option. It's just not something we do now or grew up doing. There are absolutely no other lights around here at night except for the moon and stars, but I guess I either like it that way or I'm just never at the front of the house to notice or consider the darkess and or safety issues.

12. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Jul 6, 2011

I so wasn't going to respond anymore but I just feel the need because this is basically directed at me. I feel like there's a whole lot of group think going on over here and because I'm not screaming and hollering about Casey needing to burned at the stake, I'm being holier than thou? Seriously? The point was that people should take all of their energy and really put it toward something good to help prevent this from happening again in the future. I am entitled to my opinion and gave it. You don't have to agree with me because it's a free country but I don't definitely don't have to agree with you, either. Additionally, the issue earlier was the notion that turning on your porch light was a call to action which I disagreed with. Lastly, having discourse through conversation is healthy and should not be shunned because I don't agree with your opinion.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2011

Casey Anthony can get off with time served for being found guilty of lying to investigators. Roger Clemons could face MUCH MORE time for his part in the baseball juicing scandal.:dizzy:

And while we're all distracted by this injustice, there is a gun running scandal going on involving the ATF and Mexican drug cartels. This has an impact on MANY Americans' safety, and yet I'd hazard a guess that most people concerned about Casey Anthony know NOTHING about the gun scandal.

As dumbfounding and devastating this trial has been, why arent we informed of more pressing issues that potentially affect all of us?

14. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2011

Why assume that we aren't? The bulk of Casey Anthony coverage has been news magazine and tv news blog reporting. TV news channels cover what brings the splashy ratings.

There are many news sources that provide in-depth coverage of many issues. I follow a variety of domestic and international papers, but usually go to Reuters.com for quick headline glances.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2011

I doubt most Americans know anything about the drug running...yes, there are always the well read and informed...The point is the mass media focuses on what sells...

16. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2011

All of the stories that you mentioned have been on the front page of CNN repeatedly.

I just hesitate to make sweeping assumptions that people are not informed. While true that many are not, there are also a great many who are.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2011

I'm saying we aren't being informed by the mass media.. CNN and it's counterpart HLN are doing LOTS of Casey...my comment is one on the MEDIA...

18. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2011

I suppose it depends if people only watch tv or if they read online and print newspapers. I consider all of those to be mass media. I don't watch tv and don't have cable or a tv hookup.

There is a large sidebar on CNN.com about the trial and aftermath, but there are also a lot of other links and articles, some of which are now more prominently displayed.

I'm not trying to pick at your statement, but I find it irksome to continually be bombarded with this sort of condescending attitude about "stupid, uninformed Americans." (not referring only to your comment here, but a whole heap of them from various sources) I get it from my Irish family, and THEY aren't any more widely informed than anyone else either. I also got it when I lived in Europe, and again, half the time, whatever it was they were saying Americans didn't know, they weren't that well informed about either, or at least not in any way other than that spoon fed directly from their mass media sound bites.

19. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 6, 2011

Sounds like jurors are holding out for $ and other forms of compensation before speaking to the media. One juror is asking for money and another one got a free trip to Disney for her family.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2011

Molly...Yeah, definitely not my intention....sorry if I set off some deep feelings of yours on this...and didn't mean to cause an extended hijack...
    and yes, TV and cable are COVERED with this case. No argument that it's a tragic story with disturbing results...just mulling on how some stories become THE STORY while other important issues don't get the same press...(despite knowing that news corporations have a 'bottom line' with which they are concerned and such stories 'SELL')
    Wow.