Career Changers: How did you get your first job?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by starflower32, May 26, 2019.

1. starflower32

starflower32 New Member

May 26, 2019

I'm turning 40 this year and while I have been working at a university in various support roles, I have no experience teaching. I'm hoping to teach middle school and I've passed my social studies 4-8 certification. I've also coached quite a few youth sports teams. I've done my observation hours, but that is about the extent of my actual in class experience.
    I can't really sub because I'm working full time and I need that income. Any advice on how to get my first teaching position? I was also considering taking my EC-12 special education certification test...would that help my chances of landing a job? TIA!

3. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jun 7, 2019

You need to follow your state guidelines. Research the requirements for your state and see if you meet them. If not, do what you need to do to get there.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 7, 2019

I think taking additional tests is great and will certainly help you get a job but you might need to take additional courses as well depending on your state requirements.

5. Pisces

Pisces Rookie

Jun 7, 2019

Since you work at a university, you could ask your Education department about what the best route is. I am sure they have good teacher preparation programs. They can advise you on state requirements as well. Also, I am guessing you get a tuition waver since you work at a university? That is a huge plus.