Career center dramatic play.

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Abcgirl, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Abcgirl

Abcgirl Rookie

Feb 3, 2017

Usually dramatic play is my strongest area in the classroom. But next week for our occupations theme my curriculum says I am supposed to make it a career center. I have no clue how to make my dramatic play a career center.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 3, 2017

Community Helpers are careers...
    Teacher, doctor, dentist, fireman, postal worker, etc.

TeacherCuriousExplore likes this.
  4. Abcgirl

Abcgirl Rookie

Feb 3, 2017

It's supposed to be a career center I'm just trying to figure out how to make it more interesting

5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Feb 3, 2017

Add accessories to the costumes. For example, a mailbox, envelopes, paper, fake stamps, for the mailcarrier or... clipboard, books, calendar, for the teacher (my kids love taking turns being the teacher and doing circle time during their free center/dramatic play time. It's super cute & fun to watch)
    If they're looking for an actual "career center", you're going to have to explain to the kids what it is, set up "desk" with paper. Tell them it's where people go to look for jobs, explain resumes, etc.
    Do you have to follow the curriculum to a T?

6. Abcgirl

Abcgirl Rookie

Feb 4, 2017

Our district manager is housed in our building so at minimum I have to do what the book says. My writing area is basically a post office. It has paper and envelopes and stickers for stamps and even so e junk mail. I also made a mailbox to put in it. My science center is cotton balls and cotton swabs because that's what doctors use. My math center is calculators and play money. And my block center is supposed to be building office spaces with staplers and rape dispensers with nothing in them. In afraid the kids are gonna pinch their fingers with the staplers but that what the book says to do. The dramatic play was the hardest one for me this time just because I've never even been to a career center and I wasn't sure that the kids would get it. They are very smart kids though so they may.

7. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Feb 4, 2017

A dollar store would probably have toys related to careers. I'm wondering if the local police, fire, or park ranger station might have child oriented accessories available. A local ball park might donate cardboard binoculars. Also simple hand puppets might be an added touch. An old-fashioned idea: Use the overhead projector (or other projector) to trace uniformed people onto large poster board (our Ollie's has tons of cheap poster board in the office supply section). Tape cardboard holders to the back so that the kids can stand behind and manipulate the figure to pretend to be that person, or the person could be attached to a small box so it stands up to be a "doll" of that person for the children to interact with. Toy trucks would also be a possibility, especially dump trucks or tractors to manipulate within a sandbox area--or toy boats for a water area. Anything that floats could become a boat. Another idea, although not a learning center, we've had parents who were firemen come and give demonstrations at the school, and we've also had the small house demonstration, where the fireman sits with the students in the 2nd story of a playhouse. They pretend they're trapped in a fire and the firemen demonstrate that the scary looking monster who enters the room is actually a fireman rescuing them. Next we were helped out of the window (their teacher needed a lot of help--oops!) and down the ladder.