Career alternatives?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by viola_x_wittrockiana, Aug 3, 2018.

1. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Aug 3, 2018

Long story short, I might know what my problem getting hired is. I had a second(final)-round interview at an out-of-state charter school looking for specific skills and offering a hefty signing bonus because they're having trouble filling the position. The interview went very well - I seemed to be a good fit, they complimented me on being well-spoken, I got the school tour, very interested in my EC experience - except for one thing: they flat-out asked me about my size/overly youthful appearance and how I manage a class with that. I've been thinking this might be the issue. If I don't get hired for this job, I'll be pretty darn sure.

My question is, are there any fields where I *wouldn't* be discriminated against? I'm not going to age any time soon, so where is blending in with the tween crowd not going to work against me? I still have my tutoring job, but that's not a career option since there's no benefits and irregular hours.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2018

I’ve worked with several teachers in both elementary and high school settings who look like they are in their teens. Doubtful it’s what’s holding you back.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 3, 2018

They should not be fat-shaming you. But I would not be surprised if they hired a more attractive teacher. In the urban district we have to take what we can get, but I saw very few old or overweight teachers when I subbed in the suburbs. The men were usually clean cut and had good physiques; most of the women, usually young, looked like the stepped out of the pages of Vogue or Marie Claire.

5. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Aug 3, 2018

I look very young for my age but I've never had any interviewers ask me about my age/appearance or question whether I can manage a classroom. I find that very unprofessional. I have seen a lot of new teachers who also look young. I think it is just important to dress professionally.

otterpop likes this.
  6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2018

Where in the OP’s comments does it say anything about being overweight or unattractive?

futuremathsprof and bella84 like this.
  7. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 4, 2018

I hope you told them you are small but mighty and respect comes from communication rather than appearance.

I would be asking why they were concerned that your size might be a problem. Do they have very physically aggressive kids who tend to put their hands on the teacher or require a you to be a student wrangler?

8. viola_x_wittrockiana

Aug 5, 2018

To clarify, this is an urban area (Cleveland) and I'm extremely petite. I'm the height of the average 12yo and south of 100 lbs. Part of that is genetic and part of that is because of musculoskeletal issues that make it unhealthy to stray far from my current weight. (I can now add scoliosis to that laundry list of issues.) I'm not conventionally pretty, but I'd say I'm not unfortunate-looking either. I dress well and dress my age as much as possible. Facially, I look about 12-14. 16 is usually the oldest people guess/assume.

I think it might be a major reason I haven't been hired because I know other schools have noticed. This one flat-out brought it up, at others I've gotten double-takes from the office ladies when I say I'm there to interview. I've had several tell me I look just like student X, who is usually an 8th grader. Not good when your target age is MS-HS.

9. viola_x_wittrockiana

Aug 5, 2018

The question was a cross between how I distinguish myself from students and how do I get the students to obey/respect me. I said I dress intentionally, carry myself like an adult (aside from the scoliosis stuff, my posture is impeccable), and use my words and actions.

They have a few students with questionable behavior since they're a lottery-admittance public charter, but they said it's very few. It's unlikely I'd have them anyway since I'd be teaching a set of popular specialty electives capped at 15 students. I did tell them that very little would scare me off and about my student who brought a tazer to school, ones arrested for gang-related violence etc.

Between the two, I don't think I could have answered much better. I'll know soon enough if I didn't get the job. I interviewed Wednesday, so I'd say if I don't hear by this Wednesday, I'm not hired.

10. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Aug 6, 2018

It's unfortunate and unprofessional that people are asking questions and making comments that. :(
    Like you, I am also short and I weigh about 95 pounds. I probably look about 16 years old but I know I could pass for younger. I'm in an urban area too so I was lucky that a lot of interviewees were in their early 20's too. Even if I looked younger, the gap wasn't too bad! One thing that helped me was wearing makeup and heels. I didn't wear a suit because I know I wouldn't have looked good in one, but I wore heels, skirts, collared blouses, which really helped make me look professional. I love Banana Republic for petite clothes -- it's a little bit expensive but the smallest size fits me well.

11. viola_x_wittrockiana

Aug 7, 2018

No job for me. Got the email today. "You're a high-quality candidate but, . . ." So that's that. I have a few more irons in the fire, but it's not looking good. At this point, I've been trying for five hiring seasons and now in two states. I think I've reached the definition of insanity, so back to my original question. Does anyone know of a field that doesn't care if you look like a child?

12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 7, 2018

No one in my school division would care that you look young. We have several teachers and one principal who all look like they are teenagers. I don't think any field cares. I'm sorry you feel this way.

13. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Aug 8, 2018 at 1:55 PM

I'm 4'11 and 90lbs. I get mistaken for students ALL THE TIME. I have NEVER been discriminated for this reason, and even if I was, I compensate by knowing my stuff. I can't imagine this would be why you are not hired.

14. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Aug 8, 2018 at 6:17 PM

Yes! Banana Republic and the Loft are THE BEST for petite clothes! :)

bella84 likes this.
  15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 8, 2018 at 7:24 PM

Charter schools that have independent study students? You don't need classroom management skills as you are working with students one on and one and for a very short period of time. I'm thinking if someone has a problem with a candidate looking too young it's because they think they couldn't handle behavior problems. With independent study it wouldn't matter.
    also online teaching.

and it is so wrong for people to assume. We have 2 teacher assistants, one is 22 and she could pass as a student (she used to be a student at that school actually), the other one might be older but still looks super young, in 20s. They are both excellent with the kids and could easily handle classroom full of behavior problems. It's not about the age or what a person looks like.

16. viola_x_wittrockiana

Aug 8, 2018 at 7:29 PM

Banana Republic is too big for me; certain things from Loft fit if they're XXSP and the right style/construction. I can't wear Loft pants though because there's too much of a difference between my waist and hips. Both of you ladies could probably wear Max Studio or Chelsea & Theodore as well as White House Black Market. I've been literally laughed out of NY & Company and Dress Barn.

Clothing aside, I don't know why else this particular job didn't want me when everything else went so well and they were having a hard time finding someone qualified. I know it was an issue for them because they flat-out said it was a concern. The former-ballerina principal said I made her look like the jolly green giant in comparison. A few other schools have been less blunt, but clearly hinting that way.
    Years ago, before I graduated, my honors advisor thought it may be an issue. As head of the business department, she'd have some knowledge with that type of thing. I know it's been an issue in the workplace because at my first office-y job I got kicked out of the employee kitchen by someone from another department who demanded to know whose child I was because I wasn't allowed to be there. I was wearing my company name tag and had been working there for three months when that happened. I've gotten every job I've had either sight unseen or because they were desperate for someone qualified.

17. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Aug 8, 2018 at 7:48 PM

NY & Company is literally a joke for petites. I also wear an XXSP at Loft, and can't fit into their pants. Old Navy is the only place that I have had luck finding dress pants.

Anyway, I had a college professor that was about the same size as me. She told me that I just need to be confident in myself (easier said than done) and know what I am talking about. I've actually listed my size as a weakness in my interviews. I said that I may be small, but that just means I will work that much harder to earn my students' respect, and they know that I am not a student. I have never had any issues in the classroom due to my size, other than endearing, teasing remarks from students.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm a little under an hour from Cleveland, so maybe it's not as much of an issue down here. Us petite people have to stick together! :)

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2018 at 5:49 AM

Given your history, I don’t think it’s your ‘youthful appearance’ that’s holding you back.

As far as other jobs, there are plenty. What else are you to do/interested in doing?

19. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Aug 9, 2018 at 6:27 AM

I was also wondering what areas you are certified in. Elementary, Social Studies, English, Art, etc. are more difficult to get a job in. I'm certified in middle school math and got a job in a competitive area but I had an easier time than people with these certifications.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018 at 7:26 AM
  20. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Aug 9, 2018 at 7:28 AM

Agreed! I ordered pants from NY & Company and they were huge! I also recently purchased dress pants from J Crew and they fit perfectly. They were expensive but they are the best fitting dress pants I've ever had! I really like the Banana Republic Sloan skinny pants too! They fit me so much better than pants from the loft. I mainly shop for tops, cardigans, and skirts at the Loft.

ssgirl11 likes this.