Care to join my Rum, Tums, and Depression Club???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Jun 20, 2008.

1. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Feb 24, 2009

More wine for me, more rum and coke for you. This is turning out to be a beautiful relationship... :lol:

2. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2009

:lol:

3. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Feb 25, 2009

why can't we have both? rum and wine.

I think I've found the real-life inspiration for Deliverance. The scary part they live within 5 miles of my house.

4. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Mar 3, 2009

Bumping this thread back up...

Oh, that is scary.

Anyway, I am going to temporarily submit my resignation to this club. I interviewed for a first grade position last week and found out today that I was offered the position. The only downside is that, while I'm the new teacher for the classroom, the district is only paying me as a LTS. It's better than what I'm making now, but it truly does suck to put in all the time and work for a fraction of the pay and no benefits. I'm highly doubtful this will lead to anything for next year as this district is talking about eliminating quite a few teaching positions.

The nerves have set in BIG TIME... I feel like I'm going to be sick. :unsure: I feel like I don't know where to start or what to do, and am scared that I'm not going to receive a whole lot of support!! :( We'll see. I tutor first-graders, but I've never taught any grade below second. I also don't have any teaching materials and have no idea what I'll need to buy (not that I have money to buy anything!!).

Good luck to the rest of you!!! :hugs:

5. smalltowngal

Mar 3, 2009

That's great news, lil!!!! I hope that it exceeds your expectations. I know that it might not lead to a full time position in THIS district, but hopefully it will lead to one in another school or another district.

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 4, 2009

Congratulations, lilmisses! I'm sorry that you will only be getting paid LTS rate, but at least you will be getting some teaching experience with another grade.

7. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Mar 4, 2009

YEAH for you:thumb:
    Little Miss Piggy will finally fatten up a bit!!!
    Enjoy the little ones, my friend, I'm sure you will be great.
    Beth

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 4, 2009

Happy Dance for lilmisses1014!!!!

9. smalltowngal

Mar 4, 2009

Hey Beth! We've missed you!

10. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 4, 2009

:celebrate::celebrate: for lilmisses :)

Enjoy the kids!

11. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Mar 4, 2009

STG, Jessica, Beth, cat, MAT: Thanks so much!! I could cry right now-- you're all so sweet!! :)

BETH-- we've miss you around here!! What's new? Yes, I'm hoping little Miss Piggy will fatten up a bit. :)

12. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 5, 2009

Ok... this is where I show my hidden not-so-nice side.

Maybe others are feeling this way too - but holding themselves together better than I am...but if I can't rant on THIS thread-where could I???

The economy is bad. Yes. People are losing their jobs. I understand, and I feel for them. But when someone comes from XYZ career land and lands a teaching job QUICKLY when I and so many qualified others (here and irl) have been struggling to get even a nibble... ok, that when my smile starts to crack.

I find it hard to say, "Oh golly, good for YOU, you teacher you! Zingo!! How HAPPY I am that YOU got that job!"

Ok... yup, it's not nice. As my father's wife would say... I'm on the pity potty. But ... You know, it really stings.

13. smalltowngal

Mar 5, 2009

McKenna, I'm with you babe! I'm glad for them, especially in this horrible economy, but I went to school to BE A TEACHER, not an engineer, not a lawyer, not anything else but a TEACHER. And this person who decided later in life to become a teacher gets even a nibble, when I've gotten nothing....it does make one wanna get on their pity potty.

Now, I know a lot of good teachers who went through an alternative certification program (my sister being one of them) so I'm not knocking them. You can go ahead and call me bitter because I am! :haha:

14. palla

palla Companion

Mar 5, 2009

I know what you are saying, McKenna, but it is like that in every field. Only 55% of people are working in a field related to their degree four years after graduation. That number increases as you add more time between current job and college graduation date.

There are many different ways to become a teacher, and I honestly don't think one is better than the other. If someone goes through an alternative certification program, is that person just as qualified as someone who graduated with a degree in education?

15. smalltowngal

Mar 5, 2009

McKenna, I heard last night that there is a nursing shortage. Wanna go into nursing with me? ;)

16. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Mar 5, 2009

Hey dont think that I haven't thought about it. With my luck though by the time I was finished there be an overpopulation fo nurses.:lol:

17. smalltowngal

Mar 5, 2009

That's what I was thinking, tx! The woman across from me just went back to school for nursing. She had been staying at home with her girls, and both of them are off in school and married so she thought it would be a good time to go back to school and chose nursing. I might have to ask her about it. :whistle:

18. palla

palla Companion

Mar 5, 2009

They just let a bunch of nurses go here. Apparently, they are thinking of closing one of the hospitals. My neighbor has been looking for a nursing job for six month to no avail. :(

19. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2009

There's quite a few hospitals closing here, too, pallar. It's scary how just about every field is harder and harder to get a job in nowadays. That's the big reason why I'm scared go back to school even if I can't land anything in education.

20. smalltowngal

Mar 5, 2009

Jessica, that's what scares me too and one reason why I haven't actually done anything. That and the fact that I'm still working on my masters degree.