Care to join my Rum, Tums, and Depression Club???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Jun 20, 2008.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2008

Thanks gals!

2. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Dec 19, 2008

GO STG!!!! I'm crossing everything I can for you :)

3. 'Lizbeth

'Lizbeth Rookie

Dec 19, 2008

Good Luck STG!! I will think good thoughts and keep my fingers crossed for you!

4. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Dec 19, 2008

STG-All I want for Christmas is to hear that you got this position.

5. smalltowngal

Dec 19, 2008

Thanks guys!! The interview went very well I think!!! They have two more interviews for the day they come back because 2 are moving to the area. The principal said she would make a decision the first week of Jan. I've already sent my thank you email, and will send a thank you card so that she'll have it there when she gets back. The school is only in its 2nd year so TAKS scores haven't been good, but the principal was sooo nice and it seems like she supports her teachers. I REALLY WANT THIS JOB!!!!

6. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Dec 19, 2008

STG, if you heard a shriek coming from a northeast direction, it was me. I'm so glad you had that interview and really really REALLY hope that principal shows how smart she is by hiring you!! THIS SCHOOL NEEDS YOU!!!!!!

All right, and now to make this about me :p :

My online application is COMPLETE, as I reported before. Waiting on the reference DEFINITELY was the reason why I missed out on a job opportunity. No elementary jobs have been posted yet. :( Now, because clearly we need to make sure lilmisses has as difficult a time as possible, I have to get another TB test b/c mine is no longer valid. I understand why they're making me get the TB test, so I shouldn't complain at all-- my old one expired not too long ago-- but it's still a pain in the butt. I guess I'm annoyed because the woman in HR actually told me that under their old system I was "fine", but since they updated and re-launched their application system I need to get a new test.

Have a great weekend everyone!!

7. smalltowngal

Dec 19, 2008

I thought I heard a strange noise coming from that direction....:lol:

I hope that she's a smart one too. They both seemed VERY nice and apologized several times for the sudden interview while I kept saying that it was really no problem and a nice surprise.

lil-I hope that since your app is complete that there will be more positions available that one will be YOURS!

8. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Dec 19, 2008

Yeah, well, I am pretty loud... :sorry: :D

"Yes, well, as a teacher I know how important it is to be flexible-- you never know what might pop up!" :p

9. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2008

STG- Hope things work out for you. I have some news myself on the homefront. My husband came home last night from overseas. It was a nice surprise. I had no clue he was coming until he called me from the airport. He wont be going back for a few months. BUT this gives me a chance to really look at jobs that we would have to move for. I was a little aprehensive about making a move with 4 kids all by myself. Anyway good luck and we are all praying that the next drink we get to drink is to congradulate you on your new job.

10. smalltowngal

Dec 19, 2008

That's great news, txmom. I hope that you can find a job soon!!

11. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2008

stg-I am so happy for you and I hope things work out for you, it will definitely be deserving

lilmissesI am glad that you are good to go now

txmom I am happy that your husband is home and you find a job soon

12. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Dec 30, 2008

got back from visiting with dh family over xmas break. when i explain i cant' find a job they just look at me perplexed. husbands boss did same thing at xmas party. i think people not in education field don't understand what budget cuts are doing to the education system.

13. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Dec 30, 2008

Well, I have decided that if I don't have a job by August I'm throwing in the towel and will seek a full-time job with benefits outside of my field. DH will begin his final year of law school at that time and we're going to have a rather large and scary bill for his bar prep course. I do NOT want to have to take out additional loans to pay for it, but subbing and tutoring won't cover it either.

There is only so much rejection I can handle. The competition for jobs is getting MUCH worse. It wasn't an easy decision to come to, but with the economy and the job market I'm growing increasingly pessimistic. The governor of my state is apparently pushing for a, brace yourselves, $100 million dollar cut in the education budget.

May 2009 be a much better year for all of us!

14. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Dec 30, 2008

lilmisses...

i'm saddened to read your post. I have felt the same way (only over here there isn't a husband anymore)... and pray that I will be able to find something in teaching before i have to close the door on this purpose and passion in my life.

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 31, 2008

I did the same thing a few years ago while I couldn't find work and my husband's grad school funding was yanked (departmental issues, not his fault). There's nothing wrong with going back to the private center, but there's also nothing wrong with going back AGAIN to finding teaching work after a while.

By all means, pay your bills. Just don't give up completely. You are meant to be in a classroom, so the right one will wait for you while you toil away elsewhere for a year or two.

16. smalltowngal

Dec 31, 2008

lilmisses-I've thought the same thing. And though it saddens me, I have to do what is best for my family. And hope that I DO get a job, and my masters isn't for naught.

17. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jan 5, 2009

i know I have to reach out to those that i could use for networking... but...

I'm having a problem reaching out without ... sounding like a total downer.

i met with a girlfriend (I've mentioned her is previous posts). i left teaching to raise kids- She kept going. WE are. more and more, like TOTAL opposites. Her life couldn't be better. Mine is in the dumpster.

Telling my story... gosh, i depressed myself even MORE. And even teachers who are OUT there don't get how hard it is to find work. She can't even get that with subbing (on-line subbing systems like AESOP and SUBFINDER) don't feed you abundant jobs. they DON"T!

But I come off as a cross between a sad-sack, someone who MUST be lazy, or a flat-out liar. How could it be THIS bad???? Simply...It just IS.

Now i have to write others. My college supervisor (whose last instructions were-stay in touch if you expect us to continue to send out good references), my student teaching mentors, other teachers I've known...... and I can't even write notes without depressing MYSELF! Who would want to read THAT????

And now.... here come the January Graduates to fight.

Folks... I'm spiralling.

GOD! I'm a TEACHER! I KNOW there are crappy teachers out there of whom i could replace and do well in children's lives!!!

I need to snap out of this...and can't seem to find a way.

18. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2009

So this girl is out of the picture?
    You are just graduating from school and ready to teach?
    It is hard to find work right now, I know. I am in the same boat you are. It sounds like you are subbing. How many school districts do you sub for?

19. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jan 5, 2009

I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself today. It's the first day back after break. I woke up this morning and thought "What is the point?" Now I get to compete with all the January grads. I can't believe I went back to school to end up with nothing. I'm right back to where I started four years ago.

I'm a good teacher. I love teaching. I love watching that spark go off. The kicker about it is that I know teachers who are only in it for the paycheck but yet there they sit with jobs.

I ran into a student of mine from last year. That was HARD. I've been so good at not thinking of what I was doing at this time last year until I ran into the kid. Then it all came back to me again.

Our genius governor is going to cut even more money from the education budget soon. It looks like I too will be going into the private sector shortly to pay the bills.

20. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 5, 2009

I definitely understand the way you're feeling and can say that I've felt this way quite often since I resigned this past October. It's tough to see your teacher friends being successful and you're stuck in limbo. This sounds so cliche, but keep positive. I am a true believer that positive people attract positive things.