Care to join my Rum, Tums, and Depression Club???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Jun 20, 2008.

1. teachinLA

teachinLA Rookie

Sep 10, 2008

:sorry:lilmisses, Maybe something will come up and you can still work at that school. Good luck.

2. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2008

oh no!

Sorry, I have been busy! But Beth was right! You are not a loser, you are a rose. Don't wilt on us! C'mon, all you need is a little sunlight and water and that stuff in those little packets..uh..plant food!

I say, as long as there are kids...there are still leads... did you see this?

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=68150

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=67016&page=2

3. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Sep 10, 2008

Ugh, tell me about it! I'm sorry you haven't heard anything about the 4th grade position! :( Have you tried calling or emailing the P? Keep us posted.

Thanks, teachinLA. I hope something does. The AP said that they anticipate openings this year. Maybe the woman who decided after nearly 2 weeks to accept the position will be fired. One can only dream... :angel: :whistle:

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2008

well, not to cave in...but do build your contingency plan. fill up your cabinets and cubboards with can goods, beans and dry goods.

take out your iron, and stop spenidng money at the cleaners.

but do try to save up things for your grade level. maybe inspire yourself to build the dream classroom. put away somethings, and then pay some bills.

and yes....pay yourself..whatever you get this is the rainy day everyone has tod you about.

gifts
    part time job
    unemployment?

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2008

Well, I emailed the principal last week when the job posted. I will call tomorrow to ask about the interviewing/hiring timeline.

6. smalltowngal

Sep 11, 2008

Okay, can I just get some rum please? I subbed in the MS that is like 5 minutes from my house, a school that I have applied to many times in the past two years and have yet to get an interview. It is definitely a GREAT school! The teachers are great, the students are good, and the atmosphere is great. I was helping out a teacher during the teacher's conference period, and another teacher (obviously new to the school) kept saying how things were at her old district. Every other thing that came out of her mouth had to do with how things were at her old district. I wanted to scream!!! If that old district was so great, then you shouldn't have come here and taken a job that could have possibly gone to me!

7. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 12, 2008

I really hate that grass is greener on the other side garbage. I knew a school that hired one teacher, who they thought was the stuff of greatness, they treated the other teacher like garbage. Other teacher gets transfer to new school. The one they thought was great walked in on the first day of planning and quit! They were left with no teachers.

Some of my contacts have called me about leave positions. Perhaps those will pan out. The money would be really nice since they just give you outright rather than trying to stretch it so you get money over the summer.

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2008

I like districts that pay 12 months vs 10. It is too hard waiting for that first check.

well, it's too hard for me to wait for any check.

I was so close to having my car repo'd, it was scarry!

9. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 17, 2008

No news on anything! I emailed the P's about the leave positions but haven't heard anything back from them. I'm looking at getting my middle grades certification done now. Then I could teach any subject in middle school but I can already hear the next thing they'll say, "Well you don't have much middle school experience!"

ARGH!! This is so frustrating. The monotony of everyday is really getting to me. It would be nice to do something besides cooking and cleaning.

10. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Sep 17, 2008

And watching TV. Not to mention, eating. I bet I have gained 10 pounds waiting for something to open up.

11. smalltowngal

Sep 17, 2008

MAT-I hear ya! I'm trying to get into MS as well, but that's what I've heard, that I don't have much experience so I'm trying to sub more in those schools. I was telling my DH yesterday how much I hate just sitting around, looking for postings multiple times a day, checking my email hoping for something, looking for jobs outside of teaching, etc.

12. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 17, 2008

Still no word back on the leave positions. I know the due dates are soon! Unemployment in my county was reported as 8% in the paper on sunday!!

13. smalltowngal

Sep 17, 2008

I'm feeling reaaaaaaaaaaaly down today. A job that I thought I was going to be interviewed for went down today. No interview, nothing, and this principal even said that she had my application marked to phone interview. No calls for subbing either, though to tell you the truth I really don't mind. There was a receptionist position posted for the school that I would REALLY like to get into. I emailed the principal as soon as I saw the posting. Hopefully I'll hear something from him soon.

14. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 17, 2008

I don't mind not subbing either. After having had my own class, going back to subbing seems like a step backwards instead of forwards. I've been really down lately. I'm not seeing anything at all. It's never been like this in this area before. Florida has always been "the promised land." Not anymore. Perhaps when the unemployment runs out I'll sub. Still gotta pay the bills.

STG, go get some hot chocolate with lots of marshmallows and read a trashy romance novel. That's a guaranteed perk-up! It's what I'm doing right now.

15. smalltowngal

Sep 17, 2008

MAT-That's exactly how I feel about it. Every room I go into, I imagine how it would be if it were my room, how I'd decorate it, how the students would be, etc. I subbed for a science teacher/coach last week. You could definitely tell his wife decorated the room and there wasn't that much on the walls. And I feel like if I'm good enough to sub for them, why aren't I good enough to hire full time?

I just had two chocolate chip cookies.