Care to join my Rum, Tums, and Depression Club???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Jun 20, 2008.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 14, 2008

I'm fine, but a little on the sore side. I'll know in a couple of weeks according to my doctor.

Thanks for asking about it! My own parents completely forgot, and these are the ones who go ballistic if I forget to wish them well on anything.

2. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 14, 2008

It's frightening. Not the test itself, but the implications.

Feel free to PM me if the waiting gets hard. I was there in July.

3. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Nov 17, 2008

Today I feel like singing "Nobody knows the trouble I've seen." There is exactly $21 in our checking account until hubby gets paid on Friday and I get my next UE check. Then we can pay the now-late mortgage, car, electric, water and perhaps maybe eat.

Does the mortgage company care? Nope, tried to call and they just blew me off like I was scum. Yes I asked to be laid-off. If those idiots actually knew how to do escrow, my payments would be reasonable. Right now there is an overage (after paying taxes/insurance for the year) of $1700! Great! I get to give them an interest-free loan of $1700 till January.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2008

MAT-I'll join in that chorus! I went to that interview (if you can call it that). He basically just went over my resume with me and talked in depth about my online masters. It was wierd! And I still don't know anything. There will be a follow up interview the week after Thanksgiving and will make a decision then. AGH!

5. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Nov 18, 2008

Hey Everyone,
    Same old stuff going on for me. Been subbing a lot. Don't think it's getting me anywhere.

6. smalltowngal

Nov 18, 2008

Beth-I'm sorry. I don't think subbing is getting me anywhere either, it sure didn't last year!

7. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Nov 18, 2008

I think subbing is getting the cow for free especially once you've already taught. You're not trying to build experience just to get that first teaching job. It's the perennial carrot.

8. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Nov 29, 2008

Hope everyone had a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!! I'm still full from it.

9. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Dec 9, 2008

Bumping this thread up... it seems there are plenty of us who are in need of rums and tums due to the all of the depression surrounding our lack of a job.

Anyway, I haven't been posting much because there isn't much to update. I'm subbing a little bit, but the jobs are scarce. On top of that, the jobs that are available require that I stay past the time when I'd be required to be at my second job (and right now my boss cannot rearrange the schedule). There are plenty of schools whose hours give me plenty of time to arrive at my second job on time, but for whatever reason they're not posting sub jobs.

With Christmas coming up, and the "need" to buy gifts, not having a job is even worse. Is anyone else freaking out about it, or am I the only one? I, unfortunately, have family members (in-laws...) who have expensive gifts on their lists AND who expect gifts. I know I shouldn't give a rat's patootie what they think about what we give them, but there's no way we'll be able to afford to buy them anything decent. They all have well-paying jobs and are able to afford to spend quite a bit of money on us, but DH and I feel bad because we can't return the favor right now. DH's birthday wasn't too long ago, but I didn't buy him anything (he told me not to, as he always does, but I feel guilty that this year I couldn't afford to do anything), and we're not exchanging Christmas gifts with one another. On top of our regular bills and having to buy Christmas gifts, we also need to fix both of our cars. (I need a new windshield thanks to the huge rock a pickup truck kicked up and two new tires.) We may have to swallow our pride and ask for family to loan us money until after the first of the year. Even if I have a few subbing jobs within the next week, we'd be fine, but it's not looking too good right now.

Pray, cross your fingers, chant, etc..., that I get a job offer soon. My dream school just posted an opening today, and I'd love an interview with them. This principals, last I talked to them in September, were still interested in me for future openings....hopefully that interest is still there. To jog your memories, this is the school that contacted me for a third grade opening but had to take the interview offer away (I didn't even get a chance to schedule) because the idiot, *aherm* candidate, to whom the job was initially offered took two weeks to accept the job. (She could have started before the school year began, but instead chose to let the whole first week of school pass because she saw "her" job posted online. That still burns me up like you wouldn't believe...)

To the rest of you job seekers: may the best job in the world come your way and/or may lots of money come your way.

10. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Dec 9, 2008

Catnfiddle: How is everything with you? I truly hope and pray everything is going well!!!

11. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2008

Ugh, I hate to hear that subbing can get a teacher no where! :( I have hopes that subbing will get me another teaching job by next school year. Think positive.

12. smalltowngal

Dec 9, 2008

emma-each school is different. Each school I've subbed for though hasn't gotten me anywhere.

lilmisses-I'll be praying for you and your DH. Our families don't have the expensive taste, but they still buy for us. They SAY they don't expect gifts in return, but please...if they give a gift, you know deep down they expect one in return. But this Christmas (unless DH gets a bonus), even our DD won't be getting any presents from us.

I do have an update on the 2 teaching positions. One principal hasn't been in her office all week so she is still reviewing applications. The other position has not been filled so there is still hope there as well.

13. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Dec 11, 2008

Not a good day today! Just got a rejection saying that I would not be included in the interview process for get this: a temporary 3rd grade position. ARGH!!!!!
    I taught 3rd grade last year. I had my all kids pass the FCAT. Now I can't even get an interview for a temporary position. What gives? What in the world do I have to do?

14. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Dec 11, 2008

MATgrad, that just simply...blows.

15. smalltowngal

Dec 11, 2008

UGH MAT!!! I'm so sorry. That sucks!!! I still wanna know what the heck these principals are thinking.....:mad: I had been thinking about you the past few days because I haven't seen you around.

A job for a Title 1 Reading teacher went up in the district where I was a long term sub for the same assignment today, but when I checked again, it was gone...it wasn't the only position to post today and be taken down. I'm wondering if it was a glitch.

16. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Dec 11, 2008

Please don't forget those of us who are hired...in a job that seems thankless.
    I need rum....to soothe me nerves.
    I need tums...the kids are giving me ulcers.
    I am depressed...our pay is down, our benefits are down and there has not been one snow day this year!

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 11, 2008

Oy, things have gotten WEIRDER. Now there seems to be something wrong with my heartbeat / blood pressure. I'm waiting for even more test results (my insurance must love me) but my heart is apparently not getting enough of a rest between pumps. I fainted and blacked out at a cocktail party over the weekend, which was rather embarrassing. At least I can show the host my EKG and avow that I'm not a sloppy drunk!

For the main part, I feel okay except when I exercise, so I've cut that out for a little. The husband has been amazing through the whole thing. Unfortunately, no rum for me until I'm cleared by my doctor. :mad:

18. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Dec 12, 2008

Cat I hope they find nothing! Just some glitch related to stress. :) How about some O'doul's?

STG Whenever I see a post go up and then come right back down, I take it to mean that it was a connections posting. They knew someone and only advertised because they had to. It blows because they are missing you!! Their stupidity to not want an absolutely amazing teacher.

I'm beginning to run low on the rum. I'm moving on to the Bailey's. It's the perfect nerve medicine. It's Friday. Perhaps Santa will get us what we really want for Christmas.

19. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Dec 12, 2008

I'm hitting bottle tonight too. I ran into some teachers from my old school today. One invited me to the luncheon next Tuesday. I might go to just piss off the principal. The other one asked me how I like sleeping late and am I enjoying the "good life" We have known each other a long time so I know she didn't mean anything buy it but it did kind of hit hard. Anyway she has always been supportive and told me she would help me on some things for a new certification I am thinking about getting. My cousin works for a charter school and they have several openings that I am sorta qualified for. They teach middle school and high school and I am only certified for middle school but I looked at the high school ELA and Social Studies test. I passed the practice test for ELA except that I didnt do well in the literature stuff. But the reading and writing strategies were the same so I am thinking of adding high school ELA and maybe social studies to my certifications.

20. smalltowngal

Dec 12, 2008

MAT-the thing about it is, is I DO have a connection (a few actually) in this district. In fact one of them works w/ this principal and was going to mention my name to her today when she went to talk to her so I hope that something happens with that.

txmomteacher-I've thought about adding on a HS certification in English and social studies. I just don't know how much good it will do since I don't have a degree in English or History.