Care to join my Rum, Tums, and Depression Club???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Jun 20, 2008.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2008

Beth-I didn't get that until you pointed it out!! :haha:

How have you been doing? I hadn't seen you around.

2. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Sep 5, 2008

MAT,
    I am right there with ya'. Someone told me recently that the door will open and that we must be completely (educationally, physically and emotionally) prepared to walk through it. I have taken that literally to mean that I can not do anything that will deter myself from achieving my goal(that is: to walk through that proverbial door in the very best overall health possible)With that being said I simply refuse to put myself in a situation where I am defending my position. I would never do that to someone-no matter what I may think of their choices/predicaments etc.-so why should I tolerate rude and intrusive observations from others (even if under the guise of concern)?

3. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Sep 5, 2008

Hi STG-
    I think I have been hanging out in my "latest hiatus". But, I am doing must better.
    You have warmed my heart and soothed my bruises..thank you so much for noticing my absence.:hugs:
    Beth

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2008

I understand where you are coming from! This whole process sucks and with each day that goes by, your self-esteem just sinks lower and lower. I often wonder what I would be doing with my students at particular times during the day if I worked at my dream school. I still say that one of these days we're going to have jobs and look back at this and laugh!

5. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Sep 5, 2008

God, I hope you are right.

I am part of the "90 and out crowd" and at this rate, I may be 90 before I can retire.

6. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Sep 5, 2008

Oh, man... I don't know whether I should be happy, p!ssed, confused, or what, but the only thought running through my head is, "WTF?!?"

Remember my last interview? The one where this lady showed up nearly 30 minutes late and the P and AP talked to her during my time? Okay, well, for some reason I still have my email account with that district (I did a LTS job there and they gave me an account) and I hadn't checked it in a while. I check it tonight and saw that my old principal-- who is best friends with the principal at the school where I interviewed-- emailed me last Tuesday (the 26th). She said that she heard my interview went well. This other principal is her best friend (they go back a LOOOOOOONG ways-- over 20 years. They were college roommates), so I highly doubt this principal would say that about me if it wasn't true. On top of that, my old principal wouldn't feel compelled to email me.

Considering the circumstances, I thought I did well. Since I really only had about ten minutes with them, and there were tons of distractions, I didn't think it was enough time for the P and AP to form an opinion (even though the P did interview me at a job fair in March). Meh.

But here is what gets me: I haven't heard anything regarding the position. I tried calling HR WAAAAAAAAAAY too many times to count and the principal at the school hadn't responded to my email. I'd drive up to the HR office, but I have to deal with finding and paying for parking spot AND gas isn't particularly cheap. I suppose it would be worth it, though, since I checked out the school's website to see if they updated it. They did have four names (prior to my interview) for second grade teachers, but now they updated it and there are only three teachers listed (no new names). This school is huge, so I have a hard time believing that their second grade class is that small.

Anyway... of course this happens when I'm getting ready to put together packets for four schools that posted openings in my dream district. :rolleyes:

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2008

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2008

As my new little friends would say...

Mee too, mee too! :hugs:

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2008

yes! remember when we started fantasizing about our dream schools...and dream districts???

if I can see my dream, it must be coming true for all of us!!!

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2008

and the powers that be will probably move Social Security eligibility up to 95! :eek:hmy:

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2008

:) I am positive that positive people positively helps you stay positive!

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2008

thoughts are always better kept in our heads...as it is so easy to let them turn into words...

and who knows what words will follow...after those you are now thinking!

I never know what to say when I am waiting, and somebody walks in after me, and they call them. But I was at IHOP pancakes the other day, and it happened. I'm seated, waiting, 2 people come in, then some more, then two guys come and the waitress went over and start chatting in another language, and BAM! I snapped.

Excuse me, but are you MY waitress?

Uh, no, I think she is off.

Silence and cold stare.

But..uh, um.. I could take your order.

(hmmph! I think to myself. Yeah, you could..and if I didn't say anything ...you were starting to take theirs!)

I knew what they were saying!

13. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Sep 6, 2008

Yup!:)
    And your thoughts, too!:D

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2008

Ok Beth! Well, let's get some good thoughts for this weekend!

I finished my paper for last week's grad class. I will go to class this week...I needed a break. My friend told me prof. kept them all the way to the last minute! sheesh! good thing I didn't go. I was a zombie last week.

If anybody tells you that pre-k teachers are just babysitters, lemmme at 'em!

Any news on long term subbing jobs? What about part time work with Tutor Time, Sylvan and Huntington and/or Kukumon tutorin??

Anyone considered tutoring in your home or meet in local library? Cash money, no taxes, work your own hours.

15. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Sep 6, 2008

Hey MPK-
    Well, I have come to the realization(through the reading of your posts as well as those of all the other extremely qualified teachers) that simply because I have a little bit of experience and a little bit of education, I do not have enough of either to guarantee me a teaching position in this economy. Therefore, my next course of action is to get those much needed classes under my belt-I enrolled in a local university(a stone's throw from our house) for the five courses that are required to get my professional license. I was late so I can only take one this fall and hopefully finish up the other four in the spring and summer. I applied for subbing in the local middle and high schools in my area and I am taking the English 6-12 this Saturday. My game plan is to continue to apply and hopefully get a full time position but in the meantime try to spend my time wisely.
    I am thrilled that you are enjoying your position. (I feel that I have so many friends here and so often I find myself thinking of things like-I wonder how things are going for MPK and her aide? or I wonder if STG heard anything about her job? or how is MAT doing or is lillmisses piggy gaining any weight? I even worry that run with sissors might do just that and hurt herself or cut and glue might make a mess:lol: Anyway, the point is, to quote an old tv show-sometimes you wanna go where everyone knows your name! Thanks to all of you(and the ones I neglected to mention) for being there for me.
    :love:Beth