Care to join my Rum, Tums, and Depression Club???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Jun 20, 2008.

1. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Sep 2, 2008

Wow. Just... wow. Ignorant people suck. I hope people write in and tear her letter to shreds.

2. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Sep 2, 2008

Which is similar to the application process. At the University I went to the minimum GPA for APPLYING to the program was 2.64. However, depending on how many applicants, the number of students they accept increases the actual acceptance GPA. The year I went in the cut off was above 3.40. They get all these people applying for the program, when they know they have no chance of getting in. But to apply, you have to pay the $80 application fee. It's a shameful money grab.

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Sep 2, 2008

Your district is so fortunate to have certified teachers as subs. Our subs are required to have "some college classes (in any major), go to a sub orientation, have no recent felony convictions, and be free of tuberculosis." That's it! Scary, isn't it?

4. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Sep 2, 2008

Then you have to wonder if they even show up! I once had to take half of my team teacher's class while the other team teacher took the other half because a sub failed to show. When my LTS position ended and I was doing daily work, I was called in twice because someone's sub didn't show.

In OH you have to have at least a Bachelor's degree. Since where I used to live was saturated with teachers desperate for jobs, I had to compete with not only them, but those who were subbing for the heck of it b/c they had a degree. The local economy is crap and if you didn't go to the local university, an educated person really has no other option if they choose to stay. I'm glad I moved, even if I still can't find a job. :(

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2008

There is a light at the end of the tunnel. I don't know if I mentioned it yet, but only last week, I was driving all over town, looking for food pantries. I had been interviewing for months, with only false hopes. I was at the point where I thought, this interview won't be any different. They will say, "We'll get back to you.", and then I will hear nothing, or worse, some low-ball salary that will make me scream. Or even worse, have me start working, and then come up with some mess about they need a parent coordinator to sign off my paperwork, so I can't get paid until then. :(

Today was my first day with my new students. I am back here to inspire everyone. I have had so much help from this forum. I too, have had some really strange people offer their own twisted advice. I won't dwell on that because those people only made me stronger, and helped me get over the depression and twisted people I see face to face....let's just say that the good outweighs the bad...so please stay and find someone with whom you can make a connection. We have teachers from all over. When you are really down, just look around. Anyone who has a green dot near their name means they are currently online. So, you can PM them if you want to share your thoughts, if you like.

I will be around to check in. :hugs: I think even when you get a job, this is probably the best place to come for info, support and advice...nobody else understands a teacher like teachers!!!

6. reverie

reverie Companion

Sep 2, 2008

Yeah, that's the worst when they say they'll contact you and then they don't.

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2008

After one interview, one principal sent me an email saying she was sorry she didn't call, but wanted me to fax my certificate. Two days, I got the no thanks letter! :(

8. Ennasus03

Ennasus03 Rookie

Sep 3, 2008

You see, that's exactly why I'm not replying. I, have a mouth and outspoken mind that could burn. Lol. I sat there reading it the other day and my dad is like "Susanne, don't you get any ideas of replying, you know how your temper can get." Lol. So, I'm not allowed (thank God). Besides, I'm sure she got what she deserved. There are too many people everywhere and around my area that are in our positions. I'm sure they got her. I can't WAIT to read tomorrow's paper.
    Thanks for the replies and support guys!!!! You have no idea what this forum has done for me!!!! Much appreciated. Muah!!!!

9. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Sep 4, 2008

I'm in the same boat as everyone else...unemployed.
    Got my credential in may, and have been applying and sending resumes left and right. I kind of feel bad admitting this, but I was actually offered a job across the bay after an interview with the VP and P, and a demo lesson...I got great feedback from the seniors, who basically said I would be a great addition to the class and almost pleaded that I take the job...I was caught off guard, and almost accepted the job, but ultimately declined the position for a few reasons: 1. the commute...I dont have a car/cant drive, and I estimated that I would spend at least 3 hours traveling back and forth. This would have really limited my ability to really get to know my students,

2. I heard from former employees about some shady stuff that they had done to reduce black students from attending their school. Not cool with me in the least bit.

I declined with the hopes of getting something in the city, but that hasnt panned out. The school I student taught had a job opening, and I couldnt even get a interview with them. Sucks too because the school ended up moving to my neighborhood, where a ton of their students come from and the same one I have lived my entire life in. Would have been a perfect fit:(

Found out about a building sub position. Called, came in and talked to the principal, who offered me the position with the catch that another person decline this position and take another one. She was confident that this would be the case, but she called on tuesday to inform me that the other person ended up taking the job I wanted.

10. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 4, 2008

EZLN1 welcome to the club. This is a place to vent, get those frustrations and network with others in the same position.

I was offered a position at my old school only to have it ripped back because of seniority. I've been on many interviews. We all here have been on the short end of the stick. You're not alone.

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2008

Hi everyone...

I ditched class my grad class!! Feeling kinda overwhelmed right now.

Seriously need some motivation and direction. This instructor is a pain. Insults people all night. I realized that today, and called to say I was uh..tied up, which is somewhat true. :rolleyes: I feel that her put downs are a drain, and after all I went through to find a job, I simply refuse to sit in this class and listen to this woman talk down to people and make jokes..just to watch some of us squirm and argue with those who fight back. Debating about dropping the class.

It's enough that I had to deal with insults while finding work, and on the job from paranoid parents, but I can't take that garbage while I'm try to learn.

:unsure:

btw....

Has anyone considered looking into state/federal/municipal jobs as training managers? I thought about it and actually planned on getting a job in personnel, in the training dept. Worked as a training dept secretary in a temporary job, and I loved it. Had the same thrill as a being a teacher, digging thru tons of technical manuals, self-help skills, and all those management books and tapes. Setting up the room for workshops...etc.

Just a thought....

12. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Sep 4, 2008

So I'm going back to my home town this weekend. Vacation. I am so worried and dreading the questions about me not teaching. I've tried my best to make it look like this is somehow my choice. That the reason I'm not teaching is because I think my skills would be better somewhere else.

But this week I'm seeing all my family and friends, so I know someone will push me further. I know someone will ask why I don't just do "teaching for awhile" until I can find something I do like. They don't know I have applied to schools. They don't know that my final assessment is so terrible there isn't a chance in hell anyone will or has hired me.

I have avoided talking to a lot of my extended family for this reason. I just can't think of anyway to explain it to anyone without just admitting that I'm a loser.

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2008

superslide...you my friend, ARE NOT A LOSER!

You didn't lose anything... :hugs:

You are looking for a job. There is nothing wrong with that. You have chosen a noble profession, and doggonit, they need to appreciate and respect the fact that you won't be satisfied until the right job comes your way!

Believe me, I have had enough lousy jobs in my life...

I am doing everything in my power to keep this good one.

Just like we say there are no bad kids...just kids who need help badly..

There are no unemployed people who are losers...

There are people who have lost their jobs.

You are just in transition right now...

If being with family brings you down, you have a right to your feelings, and I am all for ignoring people who piss you off!

You need all the positive energy you can get. Being with people who are negative does not help matters when you get that call for an interview.

If you want to go home, I understand...but I would not surround myself with people who would only bring me down.

that's why I stayed home from class tonight... :unsure: I am serious about that. I need good vibes. Not bad ones...

14. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 5, 2008

I stopped talking to people who are negative about my job search. It's really none of their business. Bad things happen to good people. We all have our highs and lows in life. Master has the right idea surround yourself with positive people.

My social circle has dwindled but I'm with positive people who support me and that really make the difference. I keep all my rejection letters just in case the UE office wants proof that I'm applying for jobs.

15. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Sep 5, 2008

Susanne-I JUST FIGURED OUT WHAT Ennasus MEANS!!!:spitwater:

For some reason that just made my day:lol: