Captain's Log, Star Date XYZZ

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Aces, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Aces

Aces Cohort

Jan 29, 2019

So it was requested in another thread that I keep a sort of day in the life I suppose as I transition into the VP role and what not. I figured I might as well start a running thread, my Captain's Log, if you will. Yes yes, I'm a geek, and a nerd, but that's secondary. This will be kind of a running dairy almost, day in the life, whatever you want to call it. (Mods: if this isn't appropriate for this area I do apologize, I thought it would fit because it is mostly about the VP role, if not feel free to move.)

Last week I was basically a shadow to the current VP. The day started early out in the yard (driveway?) with the buses and cars coming in to drop students off for the day. Buses were first (because the school shares buses with the high school, bus riders are early in the mornings) and then cars came after. It wasn't overtly directing traffic, so much as it was basically making sure the students are flowing into the building smoothly. We did stop and talk to several parents for the car drop offs, parents wanting to schedule conferences and such.

From there we migrated into the building as students were starting to move to their home period. They (we?) have a 30 minute home room period every morning which is used for attendance, progress reports/report cards, a mini-study hall, morning announcements and stuff like that. The morning announcements are usually done by students from the VP's office, which is where we headed next. It was so cool they do like a morning radio talk show over the PA system. I thought that was very cool and the students had an absolute blast doing it. They actually have a radio/tv broadcast club that meets after school on Wednesdays (which I didn't get to attend but I'm wicked excited for).

Fromm here students move to their first period of the day. There's six periods plus the home room block. Students move from class to class for each period, but the schedule doesn't rotate. So for instance 1st period you'd always have math. 2nd period always have science. 3rd period social studies, etc etc. And every time students changed classes, we were in the hallways being very visible and available to students which I absolutely loved. Yes we had things we needed to get done throughout the day, but at the same time if a student stopped us we took the time to interact with the student and address their needs. Again I absolutely loved this. The current VP definitely does NOT hide in his office all day!

We did do a teacher observation, which for me was incredibly interesting sort of flipping the script if you will. Obviously, I've been on the teacher side of things, so now I've seen the other side of it. After class, he provided the teacher with immediate feedback. It wasn't at all negative, nor was it sugar coated and over done like the teacher was the most amazing thing, either. He gave feedback that the teacher could incorporate, gave stuff she needed to work on, but made it clear it was a team effort. It wasn't wow you suck you did this, that, and the third wrong fix it. It was I think we can improve this why don't we work together to make you a stronger teacher.

We had a couple of disciplinary issues through out the day as well. The way the school is set up, the guidance offices, VP office, P office, resource officer office (we have a city police officer) they're all in the main office hub. So while we were out and about he had his radio, and if we were needed to the office the Secretary would give him a call. One student got kicked out of class apparently having a bit of an emotional break/melt down. One student threw a pencil at a teacher, and two students had a bit of a scruff in the cafeteria at lunch (which we saw but get to that in a second). The one that threw the pencil basically just sat in the office and finished his classwork/homework for the rest of the day. The two that got in the scruff were sent to In-School Suspension (ISS) for the remainder of the day and the next, along with their parents being called. The one that had the emotional melt/break down he basically gave the student the chance to vent and talk about what was going on. It wasn't a you're in trouble conversation, it was a I'm a resource vent to me conversation. I really appreciated how he handled all three situations. There wasn't a cookie cutter response to any of them, but something that was tailored to the individual student which addressed the needs of the involved students.

We had lunch after the students had eaten, so that we could be in the lunchroom during the three lunch times. Us and a hall monitor were all that was really needed, but it gave teachers a chance to go have lunch of their own. Of course while I was there the two students had a little bit of a scruff which we broke up. When I say scruff, it's not like they were punching and hitting, but were rather basically just pushing each other a little. I mean I wouldn't say it was a full blown fight but it was definitely an altercation. I was there on pizza day but the food is gross... (I pack my lunch anyways!)

And then after school, bus riders are released first (because of the sharing buses part) then once the bus riders are gone, car riders are released. We were again outside for that, which it all ran quite smoothly. Then we had a staff meeting which I was pretty much put on the spot and got to be introduced to the staff. There was a bit of a Q&A time, just asking about my background, experiences, stuff like that. It wasn't a hostile meeting in the least, they were just curious wanted to know who the knew kid on the block was so to speak.

The meeting was only like 30 mins, then after that we had a conference with a parent (which we were late for and he apologized excessively for). I mean it was very obvious in the meeting that the parent completely blamed us (the school) for everything that could possibly be wrong. He did support the involved teachers, and when there was legitimate complaint he took it into account and consideration letting the parent know it would be addressed.

And that was pretty much...it. Now for some of the stuff I don't like.

For one, I got the impression that student athletes have more leeway when it comes to attendance/academic policies. It wasn't anything expressively stated or that happened, just the general impression I got from the community as a whole.

Some of the clubs don't seem...organized. They apparently have a french club (I think?) which is supposed to meet on Fridays but were having an impromptu meeting. And I say that I think it was french because it said French club, but they were speaking Spanish... I think in general it's just a matter of the club not really being fully conceived, but I can't particularly say it's his fault.

I'm not exactly sure what the dress code is or isn't. There definitely didn't seem to be any sort of uniform standard for what students or teachers for that matter were expected to wear. I'm not sure if it's a matter of communications (i.e the policy is in place but not fully communicated to students/staff), a matter of not being enforced (i.e students/staff are aware of the policy but nobody bothers saying anything about it), or just not in existence at all. I definitely want to have the chance to sit down and study both the employee handbook and the student handbook just to see what's there and what's not.

Students are given a whole agenda for the school year (in the form of a spiral notebook). Not only does it have the agenda, but it has a very nice compliment of math formulas and equations and examples of how to solve them, a nice selection of science items, some stronger "replace me" words (things like "Instead of using very, try using extremely"). But it's not being used, at all. Students have them - I saw them - but teachers don't use them to provide assignments, students don't use them as a reference point, they're not used.

So yeah definitely some stuff I loved, some stuff I liked, some stuff I might like to improve on/change, and some stuff I straight up dislike.

(That pizza just smelled/looked gross to me. Just outright gross.)

3. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Jan 29, 2019

Captain's Log is supposed to be short.
    This is an After Action Report.

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Jan 29, 2019

You are absolutely incredible! Thank you for these helpful tidbits of your day to day!!!

Aces likes this.
  5. Aces

Aces Cohort

Jan 29, 2019

Well you asked so here you go haha

6. Aces

Aces Cohort

Feb 3, 2019

I don't think you ever truly realize the impact you have on a community until it's time to say farewell to that community and move onto new horizons. I've definitely been learning that lesson and experiencing what that has to offer here lately. Now that it's officially public knowledge of my new horizons, I've had so many teachers, students, and staff members come up to me to wish me luck, give me well meaning advice, and even share stories.

I've underclassmen students who haven't had the chance to take one of my classes come up to me and tell me they're a little bummed because they won't have the chance. Of course my seniors have convinced themselves that clearly since they are the best class, I've decided to move on to new oceans. They're a little conceited, I know. Everything goes straight to their big heads.

Friday was terribly bitter sweet. I asked my current admin team would it be possible for me to sit in for the interviews for my replacement, which was granted. Of the six people we interviewed, all wonderfully skilled and qualified, one stuck out to us as being a great choice. The guy we've chosen he's a substitute in the district as it is, kinda on the young side - he just graduated college and everything last spring. His age aside, he has an amazing energy, incredibly passionate about teaching. I think he'll be a wonderful addition to take my place.

I'm trying to figure out what I should be wearing to school once I actually start. I wore a suit and tie the other day when I went. I can't say I felt over dressed, but I didn't exactly feel right, either. The other VP had on basically the same thing, just didn't wear the jacket all day. The P had on slacks and a polo. I'm going to ask his opinion first just to see what he thinks or if he has an opinion. He did say he ordered me some school polos in various colors including orange, blue, green, red, black, gray, and purple, apparently. He said he had some other goodies for me too that he ordered but I have no idea what that stuff is. Probably all school-related gear, I'd imagine. Gotta look the part, right?

Anyways that's it for now.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. Aces

Aces Cohort

Feb 7, 2019

I spoke to my current admin today. As per our contract, unused personal days are rolled over to the next year until you meet your cap. Unfortunately though, if you're leaving the district, it becomes a use it or loose it situation. So naturally I asked if I could cash all my personal days in and take them all so I could spend extra time at the new school slipping into my new role. I mean he can't really tell me no, well technically he could but our personal days can be used "at will and with advanced warning" as per the contract. He of course approved it, and the new school is excited to have me. So I guess I'll be spending quite a few of my remaining Fridays in my new district...

MrsC and futuremathsprof like this.