Can't find any openings, starting to panic...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by porque_pig, Apr 21, 2011.

1. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Apr 21, 2011

I'm trying to apply for high school teaching jobs in NC, but most of the districts I'm interested in haven't even posted job openings for next year (or they're on hiring freezes). When do districts start posting openings? Most of the job opening pages I frequent haven't changed in months.

I feel a little frustrated--does anyone have any advice for what to do in the meantime? My husband and I are out-of-state (NC natives finishing up graduate coursework up north), but we're moving to NC next month to be closer to family--I'm also already licensed to teach there. My husband is also looking for a job, so we don't know what part of the state we'll be living in. We'll probably stay with his parents until one of us gets a job--a job would give us a little more guidance for apartment-hunting.

So frustrating! Is anyone in the same situation? Do you have advice on how to survive this limbo period?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2011

I know that we have posted a few positions for next year but not all our positions yet. Many school districts do not post positions until May...so hang in there.

I would keep checking the district websites, keep looking anywhere jobs get posted. Then find other ways to spend your time---exercise, a new pet, talking with old friends, etc.

You mentioned having family in the area, use your contacts. See if anyone you know, knows anything!

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 21, 2011

Three years ago when I was interviewing I didn't go on my first interview until some time in June. I had most of my interviews in July. It's definitely early in the season, and I'd guess that with budget cuts things will happen even later than in a typical year. And as MoPar suggested, use any contacts you might have in the area.

5. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Apr 21, 2011

porque pig I know what you mean about the limbo. As I wrote in a recent thread I don't know if or where I should look for a job.

It is hard to make any plans or set any goals when you have no idea where you will be living. The only thing that keeps me going is setting small daily goals. I am literally taking one day at a time.

Good luck to you in your search. What part of NC are you looking for I have friends and family in Winston salem area and Raleigh durham area. Have you considered going into Northern SC? My sister is in Myrtle Beach and last I looked they did have a couple of openings posted, but that was about 2 months ago.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2011

Our district is still in our in-district transfer period, where open positions are only available to current district licensed personnel. We've never had an in-district transfer period start this late--the first list came out in the second week in April, but in years past the first list has come out in the beginning of February. No one in my district is really sure where things are going as far as new hires for next year because our budget is still in limbo. I suspect, however, that there will still be openings after the in-district transfer period and that they will be published to the public by mid-May.

I'm sure that the reason you're not seeing openings is because a lot of budgets haven't been decided yet. They will be finalized soon enough, though, so just keep an eye open and have all your resume materials ready to go.

Have you considered applying at community colleges and tutoring centers? Maybe you could even place an ad on Craigslist or something as a private tutor. Barring those things, I'd say that you should just go ahead and apply for any job in any field, at least to ensure that you will have a steady income until you are able to find a teaching job in case that takes a while.

Where in NC are you looking? My husband is originally from there. We've toyed around with the idea of moving there in the coming years.

7. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Apr 21, 2011

Thanks for the great advice, everyone!

I'd like to stay in the Triangle area (my husband's family lives in Wake County, but I'd be happy in the general area--I know Wake positions are hard to come by). I'm from outside of Charlotte, but I'm not particularly inclined to stay in that area of the state.

Caesar, thanks for the suggestion of tutoring centers. I submitted an application to a community college, but the application date was open through June, so it will probably be a while before I hear back (they just wanted to add a bunch of potential instructors to a pool). A lot of daycare centers are looking for Spanish-speaking teachers, but they specifically want a native speaker which rules me out. If I don't have a position when I get to NC, I'll definitely look into a tutoring center--thanks for the suggestion!

I'll just keep my eyes peeled for new openings. I check several district websites every day, so I'll just try to be patient! I'm still not quite sure how the hiring process works, so I'm glad to know districts aren't just choosing NOT to hire this year.

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Apr 21, 2011

I moved to NC last year, and they didn't start even thinking about hiring until July. I had already accepted a job in August, and that was when the calls started rolling in -- after I had already comitted to this job.

Hang in there -- it is definetely a "hurry-up and wait" mentality.

9. David DiCaprio

David DiCaprio Rookie

Jun 19, 2017

I always thought linked in was a valuable tool in looking at jobs.

-David

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2017

This post is six years old. Hopefully the OP has managed to find a job since then. Why are you bumping all these old posts?

yellowdaisies and teacherintexas like this.