Candles burning on teachers desks/fire hazard/asthma problems?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by februarybaby2856, Oct 9, 2006.

1. februarybaby2856

februarybaby2856 Rookie

Oct 9, 2006

I am teaching in a private school, and am concerned about teachers who burn candles on their desks in their classrooms.

First, it would seem to be a fire hazard...a serious one.

Secondly, one of my students and I both had to use our inhalers due to a "smelly" candle that was waifing (sp?) throughout the school from one classroom.

Any thoughts or similar problems?

I am going to email the principal about this tomorrow.

3. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Oct 9, 2006

Do email! An open flame in an elementary school is a horrible accident waiting to happen. Don't be afraid to speak out!

4. wunderwhy

wunderwhy Comrade

Oct 9, 2006

A lit candle? No matter what age the students, that is a hazard! I am glad you are saying something!

5. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2006

yeah.....fire and children......not a good mix!

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 9, 2006

Our fire marshall has prevented us from burning candles for a couple of years now. Some use candle warmers, some just use plug ins. My mom has terrible allergies to most fragrances. Just walking by an open door with a candle burning will have her throat closing in seconds. Since her troubles became so severe, I have become much more aware about the "smells" in my room.

7. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Oct 9, 2006

Nice way to bring up the candle incident since October is Fire Prevention Month... In fact this week is Fire Prevention Week.
    Anyway, it is illegal to burn candles in our school. Do email the principal about this problem. You should not have to suffer because someone wants to burn a candle at a work place.

8. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Oct 9, 2006

I worked in a Catholic school and students were used to candles for Mass, but I can't imagine one on my desk.

If a classroom is stinky, try Febreeze! :)

Kelly

9. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Oct 9, 2006

At my school, we are not allowed to burn candles or use the candle warmers. I would definitely be worried about the open flame. That's definitely an accident waiting to happen!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2006

With the occasional horror stories about school fires, I cannot imagine why any teacher would choose to burn a candle in a school. For mass, yes-- it's part of a religious service, away from paper and little hands But in a classroom-- NO WAY! Buy some potpourri, but don't endanger the lives of hundreds of kids because you want to create a little atmosphere. A stray breeze and a piece of loose leaf are all it would take for a huge crisis!

11. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Oct 9, 2006

How scary. This needs to be reported before it becomes a tragic accident.
    Sometimes our builing smells moldy and I will use a product from the supermarket called Renuzit. It costs about $1 and last for about a month. Gives off a nice scent.
    Of course if you have students with fragrance allergies, then I wouldn't suggest getting one.

12. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Oct 10, 2006

Some teachers are just scary, aren't they? So are people in all professions, I guess, but they don't necessarily have the welfare of children in their hands.

I have issues with any artificial fragrance (I am asthmatic and sensitive to some perfumes and most aerosols) so my classroom is only freshened by open windows and my regular reminders to students that, particularly in summer, daily showers and deodorants are a must! :)

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 10, 2006

We may have open candles, not lit ones.

14. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Rookie

Oct 10, 2006

QUOTE: [With the occasional horror stories about school fires, I cannot imagine why any teacher would choose to burn a candle in a school.]

QUOTE: [Some teachers are just scary, aren't they? ]

I think you guys are being a little tough on these teachers! I'm sure they have good intentions--to create a peaceful, calm atmosphere. And many people LOVE candles! I am one of them!!

That said, I would not burn a candle at school unless it was for a science experiment or something because I am aware that many people have allergies to various scents and some are severe! Remember, though, that wearing cologne is just as bad!! :eek:

15. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 10, 2006

We're also not allowed to have Plug-In's and any aerosol cans. I'm bad about this, because I have a secret can of hairspray hidden for art projects.

16. Mrs E.

Mrs E. Rookie

Oct 10, 2006

In my school district we are not allowed to burn candles at all. We had a parent bring cupcakes for her son's birthday and she wanted to light candles on it. We could not let her because there are no open flames allowed.

Whoever it was that said that cologne is just as bad as candles, yes it is! I have a terrible perfume allergy and can wind up with debilitating migraines if I'm exposed to strong perfumes and colognes. My first director tried to tell me that I could not request that parents refrain from putting perfume on their child. I checked further up on the ladder and was told that was a perfectly reasonable request.

Aerosol cans I hadn't heard of being banned before. Working with the younger children like I do, I would be lost without lysol.

17. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 10, 2006

We ask for wet wipes, and lysol wipes from our students. It is actually part of their school supplies.

18. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2006

For my 18th birthday the K and 1st grade classes I volunteered in threw me a party. The principal smelled the smoke from the candles and came running. He let them sing and me blow out the candles, but then he told us not to do that anymore.

In one of my hs English classes, we read sonnets by candlelight. It was fun, but we had to shut the door so we didn't get caught. ;)

19. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2006

I usually have a candle burning during the day- it is not where students are (it is behind my desk). Do not think that I am "scary" or "crazy" . I like for my room to smell good. If I had a student/ teacher with severe allergies (I have in the past- and what I use has not bothered them), I would discontinue using them.

All I have ever gotten was compliments on how homey my room is, and how great it smells.

20. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Oct 12, 2006

We burn candles for advent before christmas, as well as the last days before christmas, when reading christmas classics. Most teachers also hand out gingerbread cookies at the same time (As long as noone is allergic). However, there is no scent to the candles.

It's very cozy.

21. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Oct 12, 2006

Wow, some people are freaking out just a little. I have a "class candle" and the kids love it. I have it near me, and I am the only one allowed to light it. Kids may blow it out. I pick a different 7th grader every day. They love the idea. I got it from a professor in college. Class starts when the candle is lit. It's symbolic for knowledge. The kids love it. I buy the expensive Yankee candles and use a 22 oz. every 5 or 6 weeks. My next one is Pumpkin Pie! Love them!