Can you have things hanging from your ceiling?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by benemma, Aug 6, 2006.

1. benemma

benemma Rookie

Aug 6, 2006

I believe the fire marshall said we couldn't....but for some reason the director said it was okay...so...does your school/center/wherever you work allow things to be hung and if so, what do you hang?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 6, 2006

Nope. It sets off the motion detector.

4. kinderteach3

kinderteach3 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006

I believe (depending on the state, I'm in NJ), that it is state mandated that nothing can hang... I only say this because this past year my district was under review from the state and they had a HUGE list of regulations that we had to follow..... during our observation time.... Basically, we are allowed to hang (I hang using clothespins/string from my metal light rafter things) even though "techincally" we aren't. IF the state were to come back in, we would get a write up, but apparently that is a risk our district takes.

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2006

I work in a private center and we can hang stuff from the ceilings, cover the walls with paper...the fire marshall has never said a word about any of it. We would all just DIE if he took our decorating skills away from us!!!!!!!!

6. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 6, 2006

We are not allowed to hang things from the ceiling-fire codes. I think that's about it, though.

7. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Aug 6, 2006

I taught at a public school last year and yes we were allowed to hang stuff from the ceiling. We couldn't, however, have any small appliances or even air freshener plug in things. Go figure?

Now I will be teaching in a private school and I have things hanging from the ceiling and I have a small refrigerator. :)

8. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 6, 2006

In our district, we have 13 elementary schools and each one has a different fire marshall and different rules. In my school, I cannot hang anything from the ceiling and I can only cover 20% of the wall space with paper. Our Art teacher is fined regularly for breaking these rules. At another school, they have stuff cover almost every inch of space and dangling from the ceiling. It depends on the rules. My advice is that if the fire marshall says no, don't do it, because you are the one that will be fined, NOT the center or school!

9. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2006

I do not think they care in my district about it... I have only heard to not have cleaners in a obvious place.

10. luvs2shop

luvs2shop Rookie

Aug 6, 2006

We could hang whatever we wanted from the ceiling (useing our good judgement that is.) We also had a small fridge and a plug in airfreshener. We can do whatever we want in our classrooms even if we wanted to paint.

I like it because we can make the classroom a happy enviornment and doing art with the kids we can hang them on the walls, from the ceiling or wherever we see fit.

11. Miss Steele

Miss Steele Companion

Aug 6, 2006

We cannot have anything closer than 6 inches from the ceiling. We use fishing line to hang things from the ceiling and it's acceptable. I believe that's something they check when the licensing people come. (I work for a Head Start)

12. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 6, 2006

I have wire strung from one end of the room to the other. From that I hang up student's work. Nothing can be hung from the ceiling.

13. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Aug 6, 2006

We are allowed to have things having from the ceilings. They are becoming more strict about not having certain things (cleaning supplies, candle warmers, mini-refrigerators, couches) so my guess is eventually we won't be able to hang things.

14. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 6, 2006

I wasn't supposed to HANG my white "sensory lights" from the ceiling, but I insisted that I needed them... so I taped them to the wall in what used to be a coat closet (there were still hangers on one part that used to hold shelves). My director told me that she didn't *think* I was supposed to be able to have them up but not to worry about it unless our big guru came to tell me that (not actually a fire marshall). I had hooks on the ceiling that had been there all year that I didn't even consider using because we were told "nothing hanging..." that changed when I got some wind chimes, no one cared that they were hung :)

I had a fridge and a microwave.

15. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 6, 2006

We can have fridges and microwaves. One teacher in our hall regularly burns candles, not sure if she CAN do that, though.

We can have "mobiles" but not sure EXACTLY how that is defined.

We cannot have paper from floor all the way to the ceiling, and there is a % involved- but not sure what that is.

16. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2006

I don't know what the laws are in the schools where I sub, but I see a lot of clothesline... perhaps that gets around the "hanging from ceiling" regulation? I have seen it used in different ways: students' artwork, mobiles, decorations. One teacher had a mobile of different things she wanted her students to check before handing in an assignment (name, date, punctuation, etc). You get the idea.

17. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2006

We can't have anything flammable within 2 feet of our ceiling. That means nothing stacked on tops of cabinets or shelving, no bulletin boards hung that high, nothing at all hanging from the ceiling. I've never had anyone mention to me what percentage of the walls could/could not be covered, though.

I did get a written reprimand one year for storing my paint gallons too close to the ceiling (on top of a cabinet). The top of the jug was only 6 inches from the ceiling.

We have an actual, full size kitchen with an oven, microwave and fridge. We are not allowed to have a stove top, though.
    Kim

18. daisyduck123

daisyduck123 Companion

Aug 6, 2006

No...will set off the motion detector.

19. srh

srh Groupie

Aug 6, 2006

Yes, we can. We've hung colored craft stick "constellations," glitter-painted wood star frames with students' pics, even "Curious George" before we went to see the play!

But we cannot tape or otherwise attach anything to the doors!! Well, not entirely true. If a magnet will hold it up, it's okay.... But that is less a fire marshal rule than our principal's personal peeve!

20. Mizz Lucy

Mizz Lucy Guest

Aug 7, 2006

At first we couldn't have anything.
    Then they OK'd it if it was hung by wire two feet away from the tiles.
    Then, the motion was setting off the alarm system
    so we're back to nothing! Ughhhh!!!!
    I know a teacher who paints her ceiling tiles for decor.

21. luvs2shop

luvs2shop Rookie

Aug 7, 2006

I have never thought about painting the ceiling. I bet it would be a lot of work to have to reach up and paint A WHOLE LOT OF STRAINing.