Can students drop if they have a D or F?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by GGarcia, Jan 1, 2014.

1. GGarcia

GGarcia Rookie

Jan 1, 2014

Just wondering how it works in your school. If a student received a D or F for the first semester are they allowed to drop the class and transfer to something else. I teach a foreign language, but would be interested in hearing about any subject. Thanks.

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 1, 2014

Our students can drop a class in December. Semester grades come out in January.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2014

I'm in a college prep Catholic high school.

There is no "dropping" of courses.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 1, 2014

It depends on the principal. It cannot be done in ECO classes but in the past it has been allowed with others.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 1, 2014

We allow schedule changes in only very special circumstances. Not for a D or F.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2014

That would not usually be allowed here. It's possible but very unlikely; there would have to be some seriously major reason for that to happen.

As an electives teacher, this policy is frustrating. If a kid fails the first semester of a foreign language, they probably aren't going to pass the second semester. It's just the way things work. And since electives are by definition not usually required, I think it would be a good option to be able to transfer out at semester time if they are failing. The problem, at least at my school, is that we don't have many semester-long electives. For the most part they are all year-long electives. There just aren't any options for students to enter a new class at the beginning of the second semester, because all the classes have already been going strong for several months.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 1, 2014

DS' handbook says that the student must have a C- to go on. Found out that the only way they would let him drop was if he had an F. He had a D or D-. This class was an honors class. He could have dropped it and taken a regular class. But they wouldn't let him. Dropped his GPA as a result. Class is listed as a D on his transcript.

9. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jan 1, 2014

It's not only allowed, but seen as a solution to many problems by our Guidance department.

10. chemnerd19

chemnerd19 Companion

Jan 2, 2014

This is very true of my school as well.

11. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Jan 4, 2014

It depends on the class, the student, and if there is any class to put them in. I teach an AP class for freshman and typically have 1 or 2 students that will leave on their own or like this year prompted a bit by myself.

This year its an elective in SS so they moved to another SS elective that is the same class period-last year it was required to take an SS class as 9th graders so they moved to the non-AP class.

If a student is a discipline problem as well as failing, the counselors will try to figure out a way to move them to either another teacher (if applicable) or another course all together.