Can start subbing tomorrow

Discussion in 'General Education' started by zmp2018, Dec 17, 2018.

1. zmp2018

zmp2018 Rookie

Dec 17, 2018

I was just notified from my sub service that I can begin subbing in three different districts tomorrow—one being my home district.

I’m so nervous at the moment. What advice would you give a new sub? I’m worried the kids will walk all over me.

3. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Dec 17, 2018

While I find the best subs bring their own energy and quirkiness to the job, I still recommend sticking close to the class norms, which hopefully the teacher described.

As for letting the kids walk all over you... don't let them! There ought to be a prescribed classroom management plan in place... use it and don't be afraid to do so.

4. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Dec 17, 2018

Be firm! Remember, however, that this is the week before Christmas. Even teachers with excellent classroom management skills will see more student behaviors this week.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2018

Follow the plans.

wldywall and otterpop like this.
  6. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Dec 20, 2018

Yell at them if you have to. Don't talk politics. Teach them something NEW!

7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Dec 21, 2018

Yes! Arrive early and read through everything the teacher provides before you begin. If you have any questions, try to figure it out on your own but don't hesitate to ask a teacher next door or a responsible student.

It's good to have a backup plan, too. What grades or ages do you plan to sub for?

And congratulations. :)

wldywall likes this.
  8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2018

Try not to yell. There are better ways to manage behavior. Follow the plans. It’s not up to the sub to decide what to teach.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2018

Teachers usually leave plans, however sometimes they underestimate how long things will take. Have a back up plan. Know some games that can be applied to the subject and be ready to think on your feet.

Oh and take good notes on how the class went. The more info you give the teacher, the happier they will be. It gets you invited back and requested.

futuremathsprof and otterpop like this.
  10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 24, 2018

Please leave the room at least in the condition in which you found it. It’s very annoying to find things in strange locations for days after a sub. I may not put a sub on my do not call list for leaving a room messy, but I’ve never put a messy sub on my preferred list.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  11. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Dec 26, 2018

I subbed for a few months and it was a good experience. Here are a few things that I learned:
    -It is always good to show up about 15 minutes early to read/review sub plans and your schedule for the day. This is especially important if you are new to the school because you want time to find the staff lounge, bathroom, etc.
    -Always leave a note for the teacher! There are some discipline issues you should handle yourself, but you should leave a note with any major issues or if there was anything in the lesson that you couldn't get to or that the students struggled with. Personally, if a student did no work, I left a note for the teacher but I wouldn't hound a student that I didn't know well about it. (But I would definitely encourage all kids to work.)
    -Make sure you get to know the secretary! I got some extended jobs that were for several days because I got to know the secretary and she gave the jobs to me first.
    -In elementary school, a read aloud is a great way to fill time before dismissal!

CherryOak likes this.
  12. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Feb 3, 2019

One of my favorite subs who's often in our building is a grandmotherly older lady. She's very soft spoken and I've never heard her raise her voice. She means business though and students hang on to her every word!

She compliments students and they love it. "My, how nice this gentleman is listening and ready to learn." The whole class then sits up so that they'll be the next to be complimented.

MathGuy31 likes this.