Can one really take the SAT to satisfy CBEST?

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by ArtificialScrew, May 18, 2017.

1. ArtificialScrew

ArtificialScrew Rookie

May 18, 2017

I just want to make sure, over on the CTC site it says that you could

6. Achieve minimum acceptable scores on the College Board SAT examination: a score of at least 500 on the SAT English exam and a score of at least 550 on the SAT mathematics exam.

I just want to make sure if this is another option.

The SAT is $43 and the CBEST is around $100, so that gives me a reason to take SAT over CBEST.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 19, 2017

CTC does say that that's possible, yes. It's a good option for people who've already taken SAT. Let me point out that CBEST on paper is still available, though fewer times per year than it used to be; it's two bucks cheaper than SAT.

4. ArtificialScrew

ArtificialScrew Rookie

May 19, 2017

Thanks, I didn't know there was paper based testing for CBEST. It is $41, you're correct.

I have taken the SAT more than a decade ago. It's probably archived, but my scores were below those numbers anyway, just barely lower if I recall.

Would they even let adults take the SAT? It would be kind of strange, but I'm certain I can beat those numbers now.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 19, 2017

Are you going to be taking CSET-MS or one of the single-subject CSETs? If the former, you have one other option.

What's your deadline for needing official scores?

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Fanatic

May 19, 2017

They do, but usually only in the case of soldiers entering college. Also, testers over 21 require individual testing rooms if possible. At a minimum, they must be kept separate from 7th graders taking the SAT through the Duke TIP Program. The SAT is a very different format than it was 10 years ago. It is much more like the ACT now. I think your best bet would be to do the paper CBEST.

7. ArtificialScrew

ArtificialScrew Rookie

May 19, 2017

I am trying to get a single subject teaching credential in math, I have already passed subtests 1 and 2 of CSET. If you recall, I started a thread in the single subjects forum about subtest 2 which you replied to.

I have no deadline right now, but I'd like to start on my credential this Fall if I could. The next paper based testing is on July from what it seems.

I am a bit confused on what path to take for my credentialing as well. My district intern program is currently closed for applicants. They also wanted a 2.7 college GPA which I don't think I have. I was a math major a while ago... failed some classes but still graduated. There are so many hoops to jump through even after all this bogus testing it seems.

I'll probably go with the CBEST then.