Can I keep them?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Sandra Corral, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Been There

Been There Habitué

Apr 19, 2018

You can always give the others a Certificate of Appreciation next year, but don’t bother to adhere any gold stars to them. That should appease the adults who would otherwise be confused or disappointed.;)

2. pommom

pommom Comrade

Apr 19, 2018

My first year teaching I felt the same as op. I was way too attached though.
    I haven't been teaching for that long, but I did realize that kids forget about us in the summer. I am not going to get all emotionally worked up about never seeing the kids again. They do not feel the same way about us.
    It's part of life, people we establish relationships with come and go.

Been There likes this.
  3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2018

Trust me...

When you start seeing your kids in the store, in the bank, etc.. you start to get over them pretty fast.:confused:

But I have had a few times that I felt really good about my class.

I got pulled over by cop, right after school. The usual, left turn signal not working (I need to write a ticket this week). Well, a few of my 2nd grade ESL students were sitting across the street. They were on the porch watching the whole thing! OMG!

I said, "Officer, please...just take my AAA card and let me be on my way. It's Good Friday. I need my license!"

Just then my kids starting yelling. "Hey, Maestra, esta bien?" "You want me to call my hermanos?" I said, "NO, NO, I am okay!"

Then, the cop says, "Oh, you're a teacher.. why didn't you say so?" And he let me go.

From that day on, my entire ESL class guarded me like a hawk.

:rolleyes:

Been There likes this.
  4. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Apr 20, 2018

In my classroom, if the student is in second or third grade (assuming the SPED placement has not changed), I have another year (or two more years, if in 2nd grade) with the students. As stated earlier, I teach 2nd-4th grade.
    However, when my 4th graders move on to 5th grade, it is relatively sad. With that said, the 4th graders becoming 5th graders go a few rooms down the hallway. (unless placement changed)
    At the end of the year, I have a super fun June where memories can be made. I always remember this quote: "While it is impossible to replicate memories, you will always have the memories to remember and appreciate." and "All good things must come to an end, otherwise they would just be ordinary, not good" and "I still get to see the students with a little extra walking. In addition, they are no longer my problem."

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2018

Sandra,

It's it touching to know how attached you have become to your class. But be careful, or you could become very heartbroken, especially when you end up in a situation like this...

See the "Unbelievable" thread...

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 21, 2018

Yes, that sounds like looping.

Master Pre-K likes this.
  7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2018

I knew TAs who would get invited to kids’ birthday parties. Also TAs who were offered babysitting jobs for our kids by the parents. I felt that was a conflict of interest.

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2018

Thanks... rws....long time, no see! :p How are you??

I once subbed in a K-5 bldg which was known as the ‘’donut. It resembled a nurses station. The teachers desks /work space was a inside the circle. For grades 3-5, each teacher moved with her/his kids to a different room for each subject on the bell. The kids carried color-coded cubbie boxes for their supplies & teachers had a push cart. Rooms featured swivel chairs and latest tech gadgets. Everyone had gym and lunch at the same time. Only thing I didn’t like was the fact the teacher’s work space circled around the gym and their breakroom circled around play area. So you ALWAYS saw your kids, even on breaks!

9. Sandra Corral

Sandra Corral New Member

May 3, 2018

thank you all for the advice! I loved reading all of the responses. It gives me such joy to see that I am not alone in feeling this way. I know it wont be easy to say good-bye but I will get to see them again next year!

10. miss-m

miss-m Habitué

May 3, 2018

My first year teaching (last year) I was honestly happy to be done with my class. They were wonderful, but I was just over it. I have warmer feelings toward them now as past students than I did as current students! Same for my student teaching class. I loved the kids, they were great, but I wasn't heartbroken to leave them and I have fonder memories looking back than I felt in the moment.

I'm not a super touchy-feely person anyway, so if kids hug me it's initiated by the student, which is fine with me (and I must appear huggable to younger kids because there are a couple Kinder students at my school who hug me every day at dismissal!). But I don't go out of my way to be cuddly or motherly toward kids, because that's just not natural to me. I do play and joke with them at recess or during non-instructional times, and I think it's very important to build some rapport through conversation about their lives because it just makes my job easier when kids know I know about their interests and care about what's happening with them.

I'd have to have an AMAZING class to loop; I would maybe consider teaching last year's class again in an upper grade, but I don't want to teach intermediate so probably not. I like seeing them around, but they're other teachers' problems - I mean... students... - now.

Been There and Leaborb192 like this.
  11. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 3, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  12. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

May 3, 2018

Lol!

13. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

May 29, 2018

The most effective teachers, in my opinion, maintain a business-like, but warm classroom environment. The feeling that we are all here to learn is moderated by, and I won't let you down. Students feel encouraged to take academic risks, and know that their competent teacher will offer support and guidance. Teacher and students feel safe.