Can anyone tell me about Central-Oklahoma districts?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Edelweiss, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

Jul 10, 2008

I've recently moved from Florida to Oklahoma and can't seem to figure out how to get a job here.

Every town has its own district and they all have different application procedures. I've applied to every district in the Metro area and have sent letters and resumes directly to the principals of schools with vacancies. Still, I haven't had a single call.

There must be something I need to do to get the ball rolling, but I don't know what it is. Is it considered appropriate here to walk into a school and ask to speak to the principal? What's the deal? What am I missing here?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer...I'm at a complete loss.

3. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 25, 2008

I grew up in central OK. I have never applied for a job there though. Where are you trying for? Around here (Tulsa), you have to go through the administration buildings first. I look every day on line at the schools that I applied at to see if they have any new postings, then I start calling. It depends on the policies who I call.
    I do know (from experience) that Putnam City Schools is excellent, at least from a student and parent point of view.
    Good luck.

4. BSUTeacher

BSUTeacher Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

I just moved to Oklahoma too from Indiana (where it is really hard to get a job!). I have been using the oklahomateachingjobs.org website, you can click your region and click your area such as elementary. Also, I have used teachers-teachers.com its free and a bunch of districts use it. The Oklahoma Dept. Of Edu. website lists the schools website-many post jobs on their own website.

5. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 25, 2008

It seems that teachersteachers has a lot of openings for central and western OK.
    There never seems to be any for Eastern OK.

6. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

Jul 26, 2008

Thanks, everyone. The universe finally saw fit to allow someone to call me; I went to the interview and was offered the job! I haven't accepted it...I have another interview tomorrow, so I'll see how that goes and then make my decison.

That said, I do think the "system" here is rather frustrating. Apparently, all one can do is complete the district applications, then send letters, resumes, brochures, mini-portfolios, etc. ad-naseum until someone finally responds!