Can a teacher be fired before the end of the year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by abcd, Feb 18, 2018.

1. abcd

abcd Rookie

Feb 18, 2018

Can a teacher be fired before the end of the year? If so, for what reason? What can he or she do to avoid it? Do they have to give a notice/compensation if the teacher isn't tenured?

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 18, 2018

Yes
    Depends
    Depends on offense
    No

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 19, 2018

A teacher can be fired mid-year from a charter for no reason, since charter employees are at-will. I worked with a teacher who had been at a charter the previous year and was fired in February because some parents from her class banded together and complained about her. Public school teachers are under contract for the year, so you can't be fired mid-year unless you basically do something criminal. You could be non-renewed, but that would be effective at the end of the year. Most districts have a date which teachers who are being non-renewed must be notified by. Check your contract. I've never heard of a school giving anything like a severance package. In some places you may be able to collect unemployment if you don't get a job for the next school year.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2018

The only compensation for being fired is the access to unemployment benefits. Quit - no benefits, but let go, unemployment.

Backroads and futuremathsprof like this.
  6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2018

And in some places, teachers don't even have access to that.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 19, 2018

If you are able, can you give us a basic scenario that has you concerned? This is ONLY if you can maintain your anonymity while doing so.

anon55 likes this.
  8. dennfarr

dennfarr Rookie

Feb 19, 2018

Most schools in my area have till March 1 to let the teachers know if they will be rehired. I was told Thursday that it will be recommended that I not be rehired because I don't meet the expectations the new principal has for my position. I have the email stating I have the option to resign or she will send her recommendation to the board for non rehire. I plan on using this to fight for unemployment. Document anything that will help you.

9. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

Feb 19, 2018

A teacher can be fired mid-year. I would imagine a tenured teacher gets due process while non-tenured can be terminated at the next board meeting. This happened to a local school teacher who was accused of handling a student too roughly.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2018

Yes
    NT-no official reason. Most likely incompetence
    Do your job
    Read your contract

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2018

Interesting. Is it a state thing?

otterpop likes this.
  12. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2018

Accept the non-renewal if the money will be helpful. There is life after non-renewal. Most applications now ask if you resigned in lieu of non-renewal, so there is really nothing to gain unless you plan to lie.

13. anon55

anon55 Comrade

Feb 20, 2018

what state are you in?

14. anon55

anon55 Comrade

Feb 20, 2018

Be careful about this because if you make them look bad for offering to let you quit rather than non-renew you (the kiss of death for a decent teaching career in many places), then they may not offer that option to others in the future. This is essential to let a teacher move on from a bad fit without ruining their careers

15. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Feb 20, 2018

A teacher can be terminated at any time, but the administrator must have a valid reason to present the consideration to the board of education/superintendent.
    During the probationary period (usually 90 days), a teacher can be terminated for no valid reason.

To my knowledge, teachers are not compensated if they get terminated for disciplinary reasons. If the teacher gets terminated for financial reasons, I believe the teacher will get compensated in time.

16. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2018

Define financial reasons. If this position is eliminated, that creates a RIF, or, reduction in force, which is not the same as a non-renewal. In a RIF, there is no job, so the teacher is not at fault, receives unemployment (in NJ), and does not have to call their departure a non-renewal. It is common in education, where budgets and enrollment are unpredictable.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2018

In some districts, a RIF is an announced, district-wide event that impacts multiple positions. A single school deciding to no longer offer French because of budget reasons wouldn't qualify as a RIF around these parts.

So much of this discussion depends on district policies and state laws.

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2018

I second that....You can get the union involved, but they may only buy you some time with endless meetings. Start looking for another job. Save all your documents, because unemployment is very iffy for teachers. You have to show it was due to no fault of your own, (reduction in force, budget cuts) and you definitely are not returning in the fall (your building merges, classrooms reduced) Get it in writing.

19. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Mar 6, 2018

Yes,

For breaking any part of the teaching contract. This could include things such as illegal activity, abuse, insubordination etc. It usually isn't due to poor performance although each contract is different.

A principal has almost any reason to not renew a contract, but a principal is bound by a signed contract. Therefore the P is more limited on dismissing a teacher before a contract is up.

An excellent point was made before that some schools (such as many charter schools) do not have "guaranteed" yearly contracts. Need to read that contract carefully.

20. Kenz501

Kenz501 Comrade

Mar 7, 2018

I worked at a place where I was basically an at-will employee. Now, I'm under contract, and I neglected to read my contract, but it looks like I'm safe for the year, seeing as I refused to learn how to correctly do my job, didn't do much about my students being way behind where they were supposed to be, and didn't handle the classroom competently, and I'm still working there. For those of you who are concerned, there is a co-teacher in the room with me now, and even though that sounds pretty bad, I have an explanation that makes me sound perhaps a little less incompetent, even though I would be really surprised if they renew my contract.

I'm kind of freaked out, too. It seems my co-teacher knows everyone of influence, including the superintendent. Honestly, I think she is probably the one who got me this job! That's irony for you...

21. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Connoisseur

Mar 8, 2018

:confused:o_O:dizzy: