Camping at Zion National Park?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Linguist92021, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 9, 2018

I must be braindead from all the traveling already (just got back from Hungary / Switzerland / Austria) and can't make up my mind about where to camp.

I plan on leaving Wednesday morning (early) but I might leave at night since I don't want to drive 8 hours in the 90 degrees heat. My plan is to spend 2-3 nights near Zion National park, go inside the park, but also hike around the nearby places and this includes 1 day at Antelope Canyon, which is about 2 hours from there.

I'm looking for dispersed camping / or free camping at developed campsites. I don't care about how primitive it is, or if it's just BLM land, I have the full set up. I just keep reading about all the reviews of the many free campsites, and can't really decide. I'd like something with pretty views, close to the National Park (20-30 minutes is ok), and somewhere on the south side so Antelope Canyon is not that far.

Any suggestions?

3. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Jul 12, 2018

Probably too late now, but a word of caution when camping on BLM land in Southern Utah, especially during July. It gets a little rainy and rain + desert ground = flash floods, which can be and are very dangerous.